Legends VO - yellowless missprints

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

albarkhane

Legends VO - yellowless missprints

Post by albarkhane » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Here is my first post on that site so please tell me if i do something the bad way.

I am a MTG player and collector (old school cards) for more than 20 years but i don't know much about missprints. I recently found 3 missprints in a bunch of cards and i would like to get any piece of information about those cards so i can decide what i will do with them. I looked on internet and got the basic knowledge about misprints but i could not find anything about those particular cards.

On the pics (see below), I scanned each misprint card (left) and a normal same card (right) so the difference would be more obvious. I looked at the printing pattern with a pocket microscope and, on all the 3 cards, the yellow is missing on the whole card but on a small part. On the gnome, the "normal" part limits are more difficult to tell but on the other two cards it is square shaped. I managed to take some pics of the printing patterns (i can produce them if needed as a proof that the cards are not sunfaded).

I am wondering about that misprint rarity :
- Has anyone met/seen or own those cards with the same misprint ?
- Are there other Legends cards known with the same misprint ?
- Does someone know where those cards are on the rare printing sheet ? (I mean are they near or far away)
- Is there any interest in those cards ?

Thank you for any piece of information and advices.
Attachments
Ring.jpg
Ring.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 10885 times
Reverberation.jpg
Reverberation.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 10885 times
Gnome.jpg
Gnome.jpg (90.58 KiB) Viewed 10885 times

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Legends VO - yellowless missprints

Post by dragsamou » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:41 am

Hi and Welcome
albarkhane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:14 pm
I am wondering about that misprint rarity :- Has anyone met/seen or own those cards with the same misprint ?
I have never seen any cards from Legends like that. My first thought without a real close inspection is sunbleached within the sleeve with a price tag (that will explain the discoloration part on the top left for 2 of them). IMHO
albarkhane wrote:
- Are there other Legends cards known with the same misprint ?
To my knowlegde no Legends cards were affected this way like yours.
albarkhane wrote:
- Does someone know where those cards are on the rare printing sheet ? (I mean are they near or far away)
On the Rare print sheet 11 x 11:
Ring of Immortals: Row 5 -2
Reverberation: Row 10 - 6
Quarum Trench Gnomes: Row 10 - 1

Hope this help.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

albarkhane

Post by albarkhane » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm

I have never seen any cards from Legends like that. My first thought without a real close inspection is sunbleached within the sleeve with a price tag (that will explain the discoloration part on the top left for 2 of them). IMHO
This had been suggested to me on another forum so i managed to take some pictures of the printing pattern (see below : quality is not amazing but that is the best i could do). We can see on them that only the yellow is missing. I am no expert there but i was told that if the cards were sunfaded it would be the red that would be missing.
On the Rare print sheet 11 x 11:
Ring of Immortals: Row 5 -2
Reverberation: Row 10 - 6
Quarum Trench Gnomes: Row 10 - 1
Thank you. I was wondering if they were near so it could explain the common missprint but it looks like my guess was wrong.

I remember seeing in 95 that same misprint on a ring and a reverberation (it is quite long ago but it was the first time i ever heard about misprints so i remember it quite clearly). I have been collecting old school cards for more than 20 years and never saw that again until i found those cards.
I am not yet decided what to do with them (i have no real interest in misprints but i am very fond of old school cards) and i am wondering what they are worth (i know it is a difficult question because it depends if they raise some interest or not) : shall i consider them as 'curiosity' or 'really precious' stuff ?
Attachments
Ring print pattern.jpg
Ring print pattern.jpg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 10872 times
Reverberation print pattern.jpg
Reverberation print pattern.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 10872 times
Gnomes print pattern.jpg
Gnomes print pattern.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 10872 times

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Those are VERY nice close up pictures. It's great that they show the same parts of the card, and aligned the same direction. That makes the comparison easier.
The light is to bright in your close ups, so that could be improved, but everything else looks great.

Yes, Red should fade first in the sunlight.
In your close up pics, the yellow is missing but the red is still there. That makes it appear to be a misprint, though it's always difficult to guess value with misprints.

albarkhane

Post by albarkhane » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Thank you , it took me quite some time to get those pics. The ring was the first one i took and is very bright. i found afterward a way to reduce some of the light so the two other ones are a bit better but i am not sure if i can get better than that with the material that i own.

I was considering starting to collect other rare Legends with the same misprint but it looks like they might not exist. I asked on several forums and found no-one who told me he owns or met the same misprint cards so i guess they are quite rare. I am not yet decided but i think i will keep them so my question about their worth was more on how i should store them : like "curiosity" in a binder or like more "precious" stuff ? I know it is difficult to name a price for that kind of cards so even a wide range would be enough answer for me.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:42 am

Yes, it's difficult to value misprints.
Here's a guide. https://www.misprintedmtg.com/pricing/

I don't think that demand would be very high for those particular cards. If it was, you would have received some offers when you posted the cards on Facebook.
They should be worth more than normal copies of those cards, but I'd guess they're worth less than double that amount. That's kind of a wild guess, but hopefully it gives you some idea.

albarkhane

Post by albarkhane » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:33 pm

I found no hint online about that misprint on those cards so i guess it is quite a rare one. On the other hand, there was not much intérest for it. So your guess for the price is in the same range as my own guess.