Strutting your stuff.

Web Galleries of Individual Members Collections

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, mystical_tutor

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Strutting your stuff.

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

As an information probe what do you all think about establishing a place to take and show our collections or at least features from them.

I had a great deal of satisfaction showing my display at different events. Even small ones were worth it from a collectors point of view.

-I think it sparked interest in collecting
-It deffinetly raised awareness of the difference between collecting and accumulating.
-It gave me a chance for some bragging... (a little honesty here).
-It really gave a lot of joy to old time players that wanted to show a friend some old favorate of theirs.

I would propose some place like GenCon (yes I have a vested interest in that event).

It would mean a lot of expense for me to tote my display all the way to Indy, specially at the price of gas now, but if there are a few of you that would want to show your stuff and get some air time about it I'll start working on something FOR Gen Con 2013.

Share your pro and con thoughts please.

Gary

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Con would be possible theft/loss.
Also the logistics for some people getting to Indy-

Not sure what the pros really are unless you intended to sell/generate interest to sell. It might be good for other people but not sure how that would be good for John Doe to drag his stuff to Gen Con to show off/display his collection. Then you'd think he would need to have unique stuff considering other people having all the usual rares/sets there and whatnot.

You're in a very unique position. Not sure it would be beneficial for other collectors to be "ambassador of the game" in the context that you write- ie bringing unique items to a major event.

Edit: Locally though I assume we're all ambassadors to the game. Seems like a lot of MTG players aren't good at loss prevention though, imo, from things I have read about...

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 am

I would love to show off my collection of sealed boosters from around the world, I haven't got anything to sell but it would be a great way of making contacts and also filling a few gaps in the collection at the same time. (plus a few people could point at a booster and say "That was my one!")

The sort of thing that you could bring along to a pre release or tournament for people to look at between games or when there is a break.

It is a shame that 55 Albums of boosters will probably only been seen by one person!

On the downside you have the problems mentioned, transporting the collection, displaying the collection and securing the collection and insuring it against loss of damage. No one is going to patiently flip through 55 albums, your card display is very nice and easy to flip through and I guess you could even mount the panels seperately. It has occured to me that there could be better ways of showcasing my collection but storage between shows would be an issue and no one wants to prepare for a show by taking 2000 boosters out of pages and putting them in a display.

I think the last Brisbane, Australia, Gen Con was cancelled (because of the Global Financial Crisis, the go-to excuse for anything) and I haven't heard about anything recently over here.

Maybe when my booster collection is more booster and less gap I can think about how best to get them out there, I am working on the scans at the moment and will be compiling the info into a catalogue of my collection (I think WotC would hit me for copyright infringement if I ever tried to put together a free eBook!) It might be easier to print the scans out onto posters and they can then be mailed around the world or even just the digital files can be emailed and printed on site. Not the same as the real thing but slightly more interesting than wall paper. No worries about loss or damage or theft and no out of pocket expenses for transport or insurance.

Some big pictures of peoples' collections might be enough to get people interested, e.g. a poster of all the Shivan Dragons or Stone Rains that were ever made.

At the coin shows the local coin clubs put together a display based around whatever theme they can think of, at conferences we often put together presentation posters if we can't attend in person.

I am pretty sure we have enough people who would be interested to put together some interesting posters of collections, especially the people who have gone to the effort to value add to the cards by adding statues etc. Most of us have probably never seen our whole collections in the same place at the same time, you get to find things you forgot about and also get to clear out some stuff you no longer need.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

It also depends on the size of one's collection...

Mine is as heavy as a ton I think... Because of that I can't possibly move to live in North America, though I'd love to.

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:I would love to show off my collection of sealed boosters from around the world, I haven't got anything to sell but it would be a great way of making contacts and also filling a few gaps in the collection at the same time. (plus a few people could point at a booster and say "That was my one!")
The most important of all: you bring a lot of pleasure to other people, MtG lovers!

I'm really enjoying it a lot when people post their "treasures", especially when it's not only about showing off. Treasures don't need to be expensive, not at all!
Some big pictures of peoples' collections might be enough to get people interested, e.g. a poster of all the Shivan Dragons or Stone Rains that were ever made.
I hacked the Shivan page, with Richards collection. It was a LOT of work for us, but it was also a big pleasure to see the result and get the feedback.

Patrick

Fiber13
Librarities Member

Post by Fiber13 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:08 pm

A gallery show would be nice....people could even sell things.
Or at a library with glass cases near the convention center.

Just saying.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:04 am

I think we'd all need armed guards or something. I'm not too nervous bringing some cards out of the house, but I would REALLY be worried at a place like GenCon.

However, it can be fun to do... just the other day I brought all three alpha playtest decks to my local shop. Played a game with the owner of the shop. When I did this, I made a point to leave everything else at home, as anything can happen. I would be VERY hesitant to bring even half of my oddities out at once. Too much time and effort has gone into collecting it.

I've found online to be the way to go. Perhaps a gallery, as with our combined rescources & collections we pretty well have almost everything.

And really, truly- If MtG is still doing well, say, 10 years from now, wouldn't a museum dedicated to it be a halfway decent idea? I'd be happy to see such a thing, and might even be convinced to contribute :-) My Dragon Whelp (and other rarities) needs to be somewhere nicer than a beat up "Beatdown" box or my safe deposit box.

Fiber13
Librarities Member

Post by Fiber13 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:52 pm

fvzappa wrote:My Dragon Whelp (and other rarities) needs to be somewhere nicer than a beat up "Beatdown" box or my safe deposit box.
You have the alpha Dragon Whelp? Noted.
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/alpha-art ... ch-begins/

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:14 pm

I think that he's talking about his foil Dragon Whelp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEN2xFlvJLA

Fast forward to about 3:50 in the video.

Fiber13
Librarities Member

Post by Fiber13 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Whoops.
Ooooh.
Got it. I'm making mental connections of usernames to people.

Keith, tell JR I say hello the next time you see him.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:44 pm

Yea, the foil one. Amy Weber said the art was sold to Garfield before Alpha was released. Her first mtg art sold. He bought it for a friend. She's not sure which, I need to talk to Garfield again. Way too many questions. Again.

Amy had also seen the foil Whelp (I've heard there's 3 total but have no solid proof) when she was art director at WOTC.

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:04 pm

When were the foil Whelps made? /off-topic, sorry.

This would be a really amazing thing to do. I think if you could somehow have something set up similar to a library with shelves people could walk through, but with plexiglass sheets over the shelves so nothing could be touched/removed. It'd be like a Magic museum, which I agree would be VERY cool.

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:19 pm

The whelp was apparently made before other foils. It's problem is, at some angles, it's all black. You don't see the hologram, you have to look at it just right. No big deal, until you have a 60 card deck, with 12 permanents on the table and your opponent can't see all of them properly. This would be a disaster.

On topic, things yes would have to be showcased properly, and I sure don't own any glass cases to prevent stealing. That would have to be provided.

And seriously, a museum should be in order down the road. Maybe at their headquarters? Texas is it?

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 am

fvzappa wrote: And seriously, a museum should be in order down the road. Maybe at their headquarters? Texas is it?
I would visit it, if I ever went to America. Make sure they put in a coffee shop so my wife can sit there for the whole time I am looking around.

Can you imagine the Gift Shop!?

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:26 am

fvzappa wrote: And seriously, a museum should be in order down the road. Maybe at their headquarters? Texas is it?
Renton, WA. About 20 minutes South of Seattle. ;)