AbsolutAlphas' Beta Proofs and Original Art

Web Galleries of Individual Members Collections

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, mystical_tutor

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:29 pm

That is a sad, sad, really freakin' sad story. :'-( {opens up laptop...clicks on indescriminate MS Excel workbook- thing number, let's make that 3, to do with a time machine when it's invented...target date- September 1994...contact Chris Rush...tell him to HOLD all Black Lotus AP's he receives...ask for one of them as a 'finder's fee'}.
:-D
Thanks for the information.

mystical_tutor wrote:ROTFL.. Boy it is hard to look back without the rose colored glasses.

First off, APs were given to artists as a freebe just for the purpose of using them to advertise their work, show appreciation to someone or put under a coffee table leg to keep the table from tipping. Sell them? I remember when $5.00 for one was considered highway robery. When I asked Chris one time if he made a lot off his BL APs he just got a wistful look in his eye, sighed and said "boy if I only knew then what I know now...." It was years later, literally, that appreciation for APs started bringing money in. I recall a conversation at the Worlds in Toronto between 3 artists where one of them said "... ya, I got some boxes of those. What do you do with them anyway?"

Secondly, 50 was a target number. It was not always met (though I think the first set may have been on target).

Gary
chaosdjinn wrote:Did each artist get 50 copies of the A/B/U/CE proof cards? Amy Weber identified the that the Ankh of Mishra was 5/50 on the sheets pictured...if each artist was given 50 copies...then WOW...Chris Rush paid cash for his home AND his beach house.
:-P

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:51 am

A decade or so ago I was trying to get a complete set of beta APs. I got about 2/3 of the way through and then my interest ebbed. It wasn't the power so much as the mediocre cards that made this hard to do.

But also, when I first started looking into these, the artists were given between 50 and 150 depending on the set. I think beta APs targeted 50. The Revised ones were 150 (?) but artists have said they didn't really get that amount - more in the 100-125 range.

After that I think it settled into 50 per card.

It is all a little fuzzy because I purged my "retain AP data" memories as I sold of my collection. :-)

Yes, there is at least 1 person with a complete set.

sigh - that person isn't me. I have sold off most of my APs and only have a small handful left.

Best regards,

Rainsford

AbsolutAlphas
Librarities Hero

Post by AbsolutAlphas » Wed May 02, 2012 5:28 pm

21 cards to go!!!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu May 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Rainsford wrote: Yes, there is at least 1 person with a complete set.
Rainsford
Hi
To my knowledge 4 Members have a complete set on this forum.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

AbsolutAlphas
Librarities Hero

Post by AbsolutAlphas » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Finally updated scans of the set with my recent progress.

http://imgur.com/a/PDCOy#68

19 cards to go!!!

AbsolutAlphas
Librarities Hero

Post by AbsolutAlphas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Posted some updates. I'm definitely on the home stretch with this proof set. Will be glad to see that one through to completion.