New Magic Cardstock.

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

Post Reply
cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

New Magic Cardstock.

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:34 pm

New Cardstock for cards printed in Japan.

Theros was the first set printed in Japan, and at the time, only Japanese cards were made in Japan.
Japanese cards were also printed in the USA for Theros.
In the future, Japanese cards may be available in both cardstocks (Japanese and USA print facility).
Also, if the Japanese print facility expands to print other languages (have they already?), then we would see the new cardstock on those languages also.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2016-09-19

User avatar
l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:56 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by l0qii » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:26 pm

"Starting with Kaladesh ... people may notice an additional stiffness in the cardstock, and the very observant might note that the cards will fluoresce differently under UV light than previous Japanese printings."

Well that's important. Thanks for the link!

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:31 pm

I will keep an eye out for booster variations as well.

Thanks for the info.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks much, You guys really pay attention to detail, I would never have noticed.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by Neuron » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:01 am

cataclysm80 wrote:New Cardstock for cards printed in Japan.

Theros was the first set printed in Japan, and at the time, only Japanese cards were made in Japan.
Japanese cards were also printed in the USA for Theros.
In the future, Japanese cards may be available in both cardstocks (Japanese and USA print facility).
Also, if the Japanese print facility expands to print other languages (have they already?), then we would see the new cardstock on those languages also.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2016-09-19

Japanese cards since Theros have already been printed on a different card stock and with different coating, stiffness and edge cutting. Tokens and marketing cards are made of the cored quality card stock unlike the other languages.

I know Japanese cards are sold in the USA, too, but is there any proof that these are also produced there (I think we are talking about boosters)? If yes, there must be print variants around for several years.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:36 am

Neuron wrote: I know Japanese cards are sold in the USA, too, but is there any proof that these are also produced there (I think we are talking about boosters)? If yes, there must be print variants around for several years.
I thought so, but I'm having trouble remembering for sure now.
I know it was discussed around the same time as this Japanese misprint that only appeared on some cards.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9684

This thread may also be relevant.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9207

Tav

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by Neuron » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:51 am

cataclysm80 wrote:
Neuron wrote: I know Japanese cards are sold in the USA, too, but is there any proof that these are also produced there (I think we are talking about boosters)? If yes, there must be print variants around for several years.
I thought so, but I'm having trouble remembering for sure now.
I know it was discussed around the same time as this Japanese misprint that only appeared on some cards.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9684

This thread may also be relevant.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9207

Tav
I remember these treads, no one there has confirmed Japanese boosters made in the USA. The only corrected card, Monastery Siege, is from the Clash Pack (which ARE made in the USA). In terms of effort, I'd say it's rather less probable that Japanese boosters are made in two different facilities, shipping from Japan to the US is not very complicated.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:25 am

Certainly there are some Japanese Boosters Made in the USA, off the top of my head you have Alara Reborn, Conspiracy, Modern Masters, Planar Chaos, Portal Three Kingdoms, Shadowmoor and I am sure there are more but I am slowly confirming them as I make the scans.

Not sure if they were also printed in Japan at the same time as I only have one of each.

Is this what we are talking about?

Image

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:53 am

Neat that you're scanning your booster packs. They will be neat to look at, and a great reference for stuff like this.

Tav

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by Neuron » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:29 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Certainly there are some Japanese Boosters Made in the USA, off the top of my head you have Alara Reborn, Conspiracy, Modern Masters, Planar Chaos, Portal Three Kingdoms, Shadowmoor and I am sure there are more but I am slowly confirming them as I make the scans.

Not sure if they were also printed in Japan at the same time as I only have one of each.

Is this what we are talking about?

img]http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/314685PTKJAP1Page2.jpg
Thanks for confirming these, but what we are talking about is post Theros Japanese. Before that, the major part of Japanese sets are made in the USA according to the edge cutting and some other features.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:34 am

cataclysm80 wrote:Neat that you're scanning your booster packs. They will be neat to look at, and a great reference for stuff like this.

Tav
One day they will all be here...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3z_eB ... sp=sharing

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:35 am

Neuron wrote:
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Certainly there are some Japanese Boosters Made in the USA, off the top of my head you have Alara Reborn, Conspiracy, Modern Masters, Planar Chaos, Portal Three Kingdoms, Shadowmoor and I am sure there are more but I am slowly confirming them as I make the scans.

Not sure if they were also printed in Japan at the same time as I only have one of each.

Is this what we are talking about?

img]http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/314685PTKJAP1Page2.jpg
Thanks for confirming these, but what we are talking about is post Theros Japanese. Before that, the major part of Japanese sets are made in the USA according to the edge cutting and some other features.
OK, gottcha!

I will check some of the post Theros packs but as I am scanning them in alphabetical order it will be a bit hit and miss :)

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by Neuron » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:15 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:
Neuron wrote:
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Certainly there are some Japanese Boosters Made in the USA, off the top of my head you have Alara Reborn, Conspiracy, Modern Masters, Planar Chaos, Portal Three Kingdoms, Shadowmoor and I am sure there are more but I am slowly confirming them as I make the scans.

Not sure if they were also printed in Japan at the same time as I only have one of each.

Is this what we are talking about?

img]http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/314685PTKJAP1Page2.jpg
Thanks for confirming these, but what we are talking about is post Theros Japanese. Before that, the major part of Japanese sets is made in the USA according to the edge cutting and some other features.
OK, gottcha!

I will check some of the post Theros packs but as I am scanning them in alphabetical order it will be a bit hit and miss :)
All right, there is no rush. Your site will be a great documentation! The questioned sets are the standard legal ones, Japanese Masters Editions, Conspiracy, etc. normally are US product.
Do you know that there is a KTK US print run?

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:34 am

Neuron wrote:Do you know that there is a KTK US print run?
I do not have any English Language KTK printed in the US but that does not mean that they didn't do a print run, I just haven't gone looking for it :(

Do you know if there is one? I guess we could just ask some of the American members to check to see where their packs are made.

A while back we did identify some Canadian Boosters which were slightly different (more French writing on the booster) I think they were the same cards though, just a different wrapper for the Canadian market.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am
Location: Europe

Re: New Magic Cardstock.

Post by Neuron » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:12 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:
Neuron wrote:Do you know that there is a KTK US print run?
I do not have any English Language KTK printed in the US but that does not mean that they didn't do a print run, I just haven't gone looking for it :(

Do you know if there is one? I guess we could just ask some of the American members to check to see where their packs are made.

A while back we did identify some Canadian Boosters which were slightly different (more French writing on the booster) I think they were the same cards though, just a different wrapper for the Canadian market.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that there is one, like of the most standard sets. I have compared cards in different languages and from different sources as I collect the print variants. Especially from M15 onwards, Belgium cards tend to look overinked, USA cards normal to underinked and there are other little differences. You can browse the site to check some sets:

http://greendisenchantproject.jimdo.com/

Click on cards, there is information about the printing country (no specification means Belgium).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests