Fate Reforged Promos

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:57 pm

I will express my opinion realizing others may differ for good reasons.
First of all. They would not have existed outside the context of this prerelease and will not be duplicated (the idea may but not these cards).
The cards belong to this set, they are playable, they are alternate art that was to give a flavor to the history of the set and the hero Urgan.
Because of the way WotC has handled AA in the last few years it no longer is a special thing (my opinion only) so putting them in an AA section is like hiding them.
The only place they have a historical meaning is with this prerelease. I suggest they be a follow on in the same location the Prerelease promos are displayed. Do they fit exactly? No, but they don't fit exactly anywhere else either--at least here they have a story-line place in the set and are the preparation for whatever will come next.

it should be irrelevant to us as collectors how individual stores handled the cards. The cards were designed to be used in a certain way that supported the theme of the set and was specified in the announcement of the event. Our function, is to gather the historical information and document it.
It was not to be a "participation" bonus or sold or whatever. If a store used it that way, maybe such should be noted but it should not used as a guide to how we preserve it.

The board sectional arrangement is flexible only by adding new sections. The design is from a time when it worked very well as almost any card or item could be identified with a section on the board. The expanding game and innovation of design is making it very difficult to "fit" every little marketing idea that the company comes up with into an existing section. Converting the whole thing to a historical approach would be a killer of a project and still not answer all the questions.

I, therefore, suggest we try to document the history as best we can within the sections we have and keep new sections to a minimum.

dragsamou wrote:
Knutsen wrote:
Shouldn't they belong to the normal 'Prelease' section? At least they were part of the prerelease event. :-D
Hi Ulf

If it was that easy, I will put them in that subsection. From the different info, I've gathered:
You're supposed to get a Ugin's fate booster by doing 3 achievements. Some stores gave the booster at the beginning of the Prerelease, others after first or third round, others sold the booster, etc...So, as a first point, it's supposed to be a Participation Bonus, second point is that they are Events Promos given during a Prerelease, they are not Tournament Promos. But in the Events Promos, they don't fit in any subsection ](*,) . Waiting for Gary and others, to put some input into that question.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:18 pm

CHaPuZaS wrote:It will be interesting info for Booster Collectors also! Looking forward for it!
Is there anything to identify different languages on a sealed booster?

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Yes, the booster itself is named in each language (Ugin's Fate, Destino de Ugin...) and, in non-english languages says "Español" or "Français" in the upper left.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:46 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:I will express my opinion realizing others may differ for good reasons.
First of all. They would not have existed outside the context of this prerelease and will not be duplicated (the idea may but not these cards).
The cards belong to this set, they are playable, they are alternate art that was to give a flavor to the history of the set and the hero Urgan.
Because of the way WotC has handled AA in the last few years it no longer is a special thing (my opinion only) so putting them in an AA section is like hiding them.
The only place they have a historical meaning is with this prerelease. I suggest they be a follow on in the same location the Prerelease promos are displayed. Do they fit exactly? No, but they don't fit exactly anywhere else either--at least here they have a story-line place in the set and are the preparation for whatever will come next.

it should be irrelevant to us as collectors how individual stores handled the cards. The cards were designed to be used in a certain way that supported the theme of the set and was specified in the announcement of the event. Our function, is to gather the historical information and document it.
It was not to be a "participation" bonus or sold or whatever. If a store used it that way, maybe such should be noted but it should not used as a guide to how we preserve it.

The board sectional arrangement is flexible only by adding new sections. The design is from a time when it worked very well as almost any card or item could be identified with a section on the board. The expanding game and innovation of design is making it very difficult to "fit" every little marketing idea that the company comes up with into an existing section. Converting the whole thing to a historical approach would be a killer of a project and still not answer all the questions.

I, therefore, suggest we try to document the history as best we can within the sections we have and keep new sections to a minimum.

dragsamou wrote:
Knutsen wrote:
Shouldn't they belong to the normal 'Prelease' section? At least they were part of the prerelease event. :-D
Hi Ulf

If it was that easy, I will put them in that subsection. From the different info, I've gathered:
You're supposed to get a Ugin's fate booster by doing 3 achievements. Some stores gave the booster at the beginning of the Prerelease, others after first or third round, others sold the booster, etc...So, as a first point, it's supposed to be a Participation Bonus, second point is that they are Events Promos given during a Prerelease, they are not Tournament Promos. But in the Events Promos, they don't fit in any subsection ](*,) . Waiting for Gary and others, to put some input into that question.
Hi Gary

Was expecting that historical approach :wink: So, what I can do, is placing the traditional Prerelease Fate Reforged in the 2015 tab, and create another tab for those promos named 2015 Ugin's fate Prerelease Promos or something around that, I'm pretty sure that the same idea will show up for another extension in a near future. Fate reforged will be the first extension having over 800 Promos, reminds me that the best thing I did as a Global Promos collector (On top of everything else), was quitting in 2010.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:50 pm

dragsamou wrote: Hi Gary

Was expecting that historical approach :wink: So, what I can do, is placing the traditional Prerelease Fate Reforged in the 2015 tab, and create another tab for those promos named 2015 Ugin's fate Prerelease Promos or something around that, I'm pretty sure that the same idea will show up for another extension in a near future. Fate reforged will be the first extension having over 800 Promos, reminds me that the best thing I did as a Global Promos collector (On top of everything else), was quitting in 2010.
I never thought of the idea of an additional tab that puts this right where it should be. Great Idea and perfect solution. There may be some past events that could take advantage of this idea too.

This is going to be a very appropriate approach to this dilemma.

Gary
Gary Adkison

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:24 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
dragsamou wrote: Hi Gary

I never thought of the idea of an additional tab that puts this right where it should be. Great Idea and perfect solution. There may be some past events that could take advantage of this idea too.

This is going to be a very appropriate approach to this dilemma.

Gary
Gary, the beginning of Chaos started with Khans of Tarkir, from 1 Prerelease we jumped to 40, then with Fate Reforged it's another story with that Ugin's Fate Booster, we jumped to 66 Prerelease cards (30 +36 Ugin's Fate cards), I try to think at the best way, to notify that change, beside in the index, in regards from the last Single Prelease card: Siege Dragon M15, question is that will all new expansions will have 30 Prerelease cards (Or more) in the future, and the single Prerelease time is over. If the future is like that, it's easy, I create a New 2014 tab, for Multiple Khans of Tarkir Prerelease Promos, a Tab for 2015 with the 66 Fate Reforged Promos, if the next expansion we have 30 again all is fine, but if we get back to 1 Prerelease, it will be a mess. So I need to think :-k
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:59 pm

Actually, Alexis; The door was open with the Return to Ravnica block with 5 promos vs the old single.

I made up a blurb for your consideration. Trash it if you don't like it but we do need a little more historical context for this tranition.

Not only the single promo to the gob but also the new idea of "play with" your promo.

The box idea of distribution is good news and bad news.
Good news for tournament organizers and store owners. Much faster than dealing out boosters and promos.
Bad news for casual fun players because before KOT the sharpshooters were analyzing every color/guild for the best one and the last guy in the line got the crappiest set because the best ones were all gone.

The word is out that WotC figured the KOT idea would defuse that whole problem--and it pretty much did, of course analysis of Klans still informed players what the best chance was.

You may have noticed it wasn't announced in advance, which of the cards might be the prerelease cards out of a pool of several.

Gary
Gary Adkison

MAGICSALEMAN
Legendary Bel Old Guru

Post by MAGICSALEMAN » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Don't have yet the time to read all but :

- Concerning the basic land in the Ugin's Fate Booster, they own the Fate Reforged symbol but they could be as well be find in the Fate Reforged Fat pack and/or Intro Pack/Clash it seems..... but not sure.

* Note that the Intro Pack contains as well 5 Differents AA Rare Cards...

- The Fate Reforged booster contains (sometimes.........) Rare fetch Lands from KOT in place of the normal Foil Slot.

- The Fate Reforged boosters contains Foil Basic lands (Plains etc...) versions issued from Ugi's Fate boosters and/or Fat Intro/Clash Pack.... (See above my interrogation at first line).
Both type foil are exist ...

I'm gonna takes my medic now ;)
---

Clash Pack contains both Swamp/Forest but not always the 2 type of basic land (Island as for example) .. I have just seen that on your tube.
So possible that thoses basic lands are mixed in Clash pack / Intro and fat Pack.

Second shoot of coffee....

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:03 pm

MAGICSALEMAN;
For some reasion I did not see your post before I wrote this up.
Your speculations are accurate.--there are FR basics in all three of the sources you mentioned.

This is what I found. I will put out more detail ---- after I have my second coffee....LOL

I stand corrected in one of my previous statements. To date I have not found a basic land in any FR booster. They have been gain-lands or fetch-lands (I have pulled 3 of those now-one in an intro pack).
the Fat Pack I opened had a sealed packet of FR basic lands. I'm not sure if it also had KOT lands as I didn't open it.
The Into packs have gain-lands and FR basic lands
The Clash Pack has gain-lands. FR and KOT basic lands

So a complete set of FR basics is available from sources other than the Ugin's Fate boosters.

Gary
After the second cup of coffee. This kind of detail in the Army would have been refered to as "poll vaulting over mouse minutia" so don't bother reading if your short of time.

With reference to land:
Clash packs are a mixed bag at the best. with KOT and FR basic lands of both kinds and in both decks.
Profit Swamps 6 FR 185/5 KOT 260; Forest 6 FR 185/6 KOT 269.
Power Swamps 4 FR 181 3 KOT 260; Forest 3 FR 185/2 KOT 269; Island 5 KOT 257; Evolving Wilds 2; Opulent Palace 4.
Intro decks
Each has 3 gain-lands of the 2 colors all basics are FR
B/G Swamp 13 181; Forest 10 185
W/B Swamp 9 180; Plains 13 177
U/R Island 12 178; Mountains 10 183
R/W Mountains 13 182; Plains 9 176
G/U Island 12 179; Forest 11 184

Without too many boring numbers I found the set mix interesting
In the profit clash deck there are no FR cards, except gain-lands
In the power clash deck ther are on 6 FR cards
The into decks did better with 11-13 FR per deck 3-7 m-15 and 12-19 KOT

I keep getting the feeling this set is really wimppy. This ditribution of cards kinda supports that.
Of course I must hasten to say I have never done such a detail breakdown of intro decks before and maybe this is normal for a middle (small) expansion.

In any case, None of the AA promo cards in the Clash pack are from FR [3 Theros/1 botg/2 KOT]

Now for a cup of tea.

Gary
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gary Adkison

MAGICSALEMAN
Legendary Bel Old Guru

Post by MAGICSALEMAN » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Yep Gary that's right no basic land in Fate Reforged boosters but possible to have a Foil Basic land ...

So a Foil basic land Urgi's Booster/Fate Pack/Clash pack version etc...

This is the only way to have a basic special version foil if you follow me ...

The other usual non foil basic can be only found in Fat Pack/Intro/Clash pack.

We have so a result that Foil basic lands in Fate Reforged are harder to find...

Don't have by a lot but on 3 fate Reforged Boosters Box got only one foil Basic land .....

Eric

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:09 pm

I had 3 foil basic lands in one box, so it's not that bad :)
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Out of a booster box, a Fat pack and the 10 boosters from the intro decks, I got one foil basic.

well, and 3 fetch lands.....

Gary
Gary Adkison

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:09 am

Hi Members

I'm still very confused with the Basic Lands. Gary mentioned that 10 of them are Alternate Art. Can someone post pics to make sure ?

For the 26 others Alternate Art cards, you can see them here:
http://deckmaster.info/ugin.php
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:42 am

dragsamou wrote:Hi Members

I'm still very confused with the Basic Lands. Gary mentioned that 10 of them are Alternate Art. Can someone post pics to make sure ?

I don't have pictures, but I can assure you :
- The basic lands in FR boosters don't have the same art than the one in KoT (they have the FR expansion symbols and are thus different basic lands from an expansion set). there are only 10 of them in FR.

- There are 10 non-basic lands in FR with a different art than in KOT (example : bloodfell caves) => these are the alternate art, but they have the FR expansion symbol => they are more reprints to me.

- The fetch lands found in FR boxes are the same than the one in KOT boxes (they have the KOT expansion symbol)
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:15 am

effai wrote:
dragsamou wrote:Hi Members

I don't have pictures, but I can assure you :
- The basic lands in FR boosters don't have the same art than the one in KoT (they have the FR expansion symbols and are thus different basic lands from an expansion set). there are only 10 of them in FR.

- There are 10 non-basic lands in FR with a different art than in KOT (example : bloodfell caves) => these are the alternate art, but they have the FR expansion symbol => they are more reprints to me.

- The fetch lands found in FR boxes are the same than the one in KOT boxes (they have the KOT expansion symbol)
Hi

As I don't collect or own those, it's not so easy for me, but I just want to focus on the 10 Basic Lands as I need to add the Ugin's Fate 36 Alternate Art cards on the website. I will look at pics of the basic lands from KOT and from FR
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.