Test Print Run of Anthologies

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:50 pm

I have the card listed below for this. I am not sure if this is wrong everywhere or not. I bought it for $2.99 online about 3 weeks ago so I doubt it is rare.

**1 x Mogg Raider - Tempest (Misprinted casting cost: RR, should be R)

I also have 2 of these with no shrink wrap but still have the cards sealed in the wrap, so I might open one and see.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:56 pm

Blood wrote:I have the card listed below for this. I am not sure if this is wrong everywhere or not. I bought it for $2.99 online about 3 weeks ago so I doubt it is rare.

**1 x Mogg Raider - Tempest (Misprinted casting cost: RR, should be R)

I also have 2 of these with no shrink wrap but still have the cards sealed in the wrap, so I might open one and see.
Hi Jason

All Mogg Raider Anthologies are Misprints:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/167-rar ... index.html

No need to open weight them, as in that specific Test Print Run, 34 cards are missing
:wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:00 pm

dragsamou wrote: Hi Jason

All Mogg Raider Anthologies are Misprints:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/167-rar ... index.html

No need to open weight them, as in that specific Test Print Run, 34 cards are missing
:wink:
Thanks for the info. I will dig them out and weight them. Jason

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm wondering why in the article he states that the 4 pegasus were traded away by his friend:
...During the games, I asked for my Pegasii back.
"I traded all my White cards away for Black and Red" He said.....
Those words still ring harshly in my ears.......
Yet on the facebook page he comments that they were lost in a storm:
Lee Lalonde ... I opened 4 to get the play set. I was the only one to ever have these cards. To answer your question, no, the play set was lost to the winds and rain of the storm several years ago, and are now worm food in Barrie Ontario.
January 24 at 7:27pm
I suppose it's possible to trace where the cards ended up, and find out they were lost in a storm, but if his friend traded them away like they were ueseless/worthless, it'd be tough to remember who you traded some crap cards to 5 years ago (Saga '98 - Mirrodin '03). I lose track of trades days/weeks after they're done.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:08 pm

berkumps wrote:I lose track of trades days/weeks after they're done.
Some guy had a bunch of sealed stuff shipped to my house....I forget who that was....

:-\'

I think mine are readily available for weighing now that I think about it. Here is hoping!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:10 pm

berkumps wrote:I'm wondering why in the article he states that the 4 pegasus were traded away by his friend:
...During the games, I asked for my Pegasii back.
"I traded all my White cards away for Black and Red" He said.....
Those words still ring harshly in my ears.......
Yet on the facebook page he comments that they were lost in a storm:
Lee Lalonde ... I opened 4 to get the play set. I was the only one to ever have these cards. To answer your question, no, the play set was lost to the winds and rain of the storm several years ago, and are now worm food in Barrie Ontario.
January 24 at 7:27pm
I suppose it's possible to trace where the cards ended up, and find out they were lost in a storm, but if his friend traded them away like they were ueseless/worthless, it'd be tough to remember who you traded some crap cards to 5 years ago (Saga '98 - Mirrodin '03). I lose track of trades days/weeks after they're done.
Well, maybe his good friend pretended so and kept the Misprints for him :-D More Seriously 2 People should have the answer: Bill Rose and William Jockusch , they were responsible of the Development and Design of Anthologies (See my previous post with links about them)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:18 pm

Blood wrote:
berkumps wrote:I lose track of trades days/weeks after they're done.
Some guy had a bunch of sealed stuff shipped to my house....I forget who that was....

:-\'

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi Members

I have also sent this question to the owner:
Lee Lalonde As those 5 Box Sets were bought from a MTG Shop, do you have a receipt for them, showing the date of purchase , that will be a plus to prove that they were bought a year ahead of the Official release? As silly as it sounds, I have kept receipt of most of all my MTG Purchases since 1993
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 am

Hi Members

To close that chapter on this news. From the owner:

Misprinted Mesa Pegasus
Unfortunately BGS at National was a bust. They didn't bother to tell me until I made the trip they could not arrange a WOTC rep to attend so it was nearly a complete waste of my time. I did however get 4 cards graded despite the way I was treated. I'm happy with the results.

So mystery remains as the 4 cards graded are not from the opening of the Anthologies Box.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:28 pm

a little more of the story from Lee (the owner)...

"As stated before, after several attempts to contact Bill Dumas or Elliot Ross of BGS Grading Services via email over the past several months, I had been met with silence. They were very helpful and eager in the beginning when they wanted to post the 3 page article in their Beckett Gamer magazine. They assured me they were 100% on board with adding this one of a kind Magic card to their growing portfolio of the worlds most highly sought after, most valuable MTG cards in the world, but since the article, they mysteriously stopped communicating. Since the official invite from Bill Dumas at the International Center, Toronto, to join him in Cleveland, their last communication was November of last year, prior to publishing the story. I have contacted them both a few times since, even recently, before the event start, but received no reply. Having no indication if this unveiling was still a go, Friday, the day before I decided to call long distance to BGS in Texas. The person I spoke to confirmed that BGS was attending National and that at least Bill Dumas was there with the card sealing equipment, but could not confirm any provisions were made to ensure the necessary experts would be on hand to verify authenticity of the card. He did not know much about any details surrounding the event nor the misprint I was scheduled to bring. I did not want to miss this opportunity so I decided to commit. I emailed Bill Dumas that I would see him in the morning. No reply.

11:45 PM, Friday August 1:
My mother, who eagerly agreed to accompany me on my journey to Cleveland Ohio, USA, from here, Bowmanville Ontario, Canada, and who thoughtfully made sandwiches to cut expenses, began the 565 Km, (351 mi) trek. We took turns driving through the night and arrived at the parking gates at 7:30 AM. We were the first ones there. Eventually a father/son team showed up and we chatted with security until the gates opened at 8:00AM. We grabbed the best parking spots and waited outside the entrance, sharing stories. Me: Magic, them: sports. It was a sports collectable event..... I was the odd man out....

8:30 AM, by now we are a small crowd, the doors are opened, we submit out prepaid entrance tickets and go to the front of a massive corral of zigzag gates forming the line to get in. While my mother waits in line, I go to speak to security to see if someone can grab Bill's attention to meet me. I don't know if he is planning any special treatment for his invited guest, so why not ask right? After some radio communication back and forth, I am directed to go to the other side of the building to meet with security and BGS Media, but I would need to go around outside. I left my mother in line, just in case, decided to leave the car now that parking was filling up. If you have never been to National, it is a massive building.... stadium massive. I get to the other entrance, meet security and this other guy who is a pompous ass from the get go.... He immediately assumes control of the mediocre situation like it's his destiny and proceeds to shut out security while he shrugs me off stating he did not have time to poke his head in the entrance, grab the attention of anyone from BGS who's booth was pretty damn close. Told me I should use my cell phone to call them. I explained that my Canadian phone does not work in the US, besides, security specifically instructed me to come here, they had everything under control, but that was too much for him to comprehend. I walked back around to the line and not 2 minutes later, the pompous ass emerges from our entrance. He walked past BGS to get to our side..... He acknowledged me smugly and continued about.

10:15 AM, we are free to roam. We make a b-line for Beckett where all the VIP ticket holders are all lined up to get first dibs. Bill emerges from the staff and I carefully express my disappointment on his lack of communication and the results thus far. He states that he did reply months ago that he was having trouble getting WOTC on board, but working on it. (Unfortunately, lie #1). I re checked the emails prior to calling BGS and just now. No such message. Before addressing the subject at hand, Bill proceeds to inform us that he is unprepared to do the unveiling. A simple email is all it took, but I guess he needed to tell me in person. I explained to him that in my last few emails to him that he obviously didn't even take the time to read, desperately requesting info from him, stated I had just lost my job and that making this trek would spend the last of my money. He grabbed a price magazine, their latest Beckett issue, gave them to me and apologised. I stood there with a case full of MTG, ready for the event and shut down on arrival. After much discussion, it boiled down to the cards I brought for grading. I had 22 cards. He offered to do them with the 2 day return. Since I had already explained to him that we left the night before and we were driving straight home when we leave because I don't have the money for a hotel, that offer was not feasible. He walked away then returned with the offer to do 4 cards for $25 each, 1 hour service. Prior to leaving, I read on the Beckett site that $25 for 4 to 20 cards was the going rate, he said it was $75 per card with 1 hour wait. I reluctantly agreed and gave him a Mana Crypt, Eureka, Karakas and an Alternate 4th Birds of Paradise. Gave him $100 US and we walked around for an hour. We returned an Bill said they needed another 15 min. We gave them the 15 min. Bill then said they had my cards in hand and were doing them while we spoke, another 10 min. While waiting, my mother and I chatted with a major sports dealer who was set to sign a deal with Beckett converting all grading business from PSA to them. After learning of why I was there and a brief history on the Pegasus, he focused on giving me advise. Bill came back into the picture and stated they needed more time, 10 min.... This dealer was not in the loop that I was being jerked around, and that Bill had committed lie #2, while committing lie #3..... The cards were never in anyone's hands getting graded, and would not be for awhile yet....

The advise:
Having this card in the Beckett portfolio is worth thousands upon thousands in advertising dollars for Beckett or any other grading service that gets their name on it. Beckett should want this card in their listings more than myself. There is only one, so whoever gets their name on it will benefit huge, even if it was graded a 1, there is no other copy. Any grader's name on any rarest of rare cards brings their business unbelievable revenue. One of a kind, means no other company can compete in comparison.
Beckett should organise everyone for the unveiling at a major MTG event, Beckett needs to go to them, not get them to go to Beckett. There is nothing in it for WOTC so they will not invest staff or resources in it. Beckett should pay for your flight and lodging for at least one day including return flight, VIP access and they should do the card for free, a few cards actually, not charge you. They have given you nothing, worse, you are now in the hole just coming here for nothing. They charged you to do 4 lousy cards and kept you waiting when you should be back on the road. Even after those cards are graded and they come out a 10 each, you lost money here. The $750 or so investment to get you to an event means thousands and thousands of advertising dollars for them for many years to come.

As we spoke, a massive storm moved in. We would learn later, upon leaving, that it was causing major flooding across our entire path to get back home, slowly moving in the same direction we were. Had we gotten my cards in the hour as promised, we would have been ahead of it. As we waited, sections of interstates were being closed and accidents were multiplying.... Our way home was now gridlocked. I turned to get Bill's attention so I could get going. He was gone. The staff searched for him and brought him back. He checked on the cards then told me that they were just finishing up an order and mine were next. Affirming lie #2. The dealer and I continued talking while my mother left to find a place to sit. A half hour later, my mother returns, and Bill is nowhere to be found again. I tell the staff to go get my cards and return my money. Instead, they go search for Bill. Eventually he returns and asks that we be patient, they are doing my cards as we speak. I give him 10 min. The dealer proceeds to pay Bill compliments for my benefit, stating Bill is the go to guy if you need anything. He is good at his job. Unfortunately, from what I could see, he evidently had limited pull even when push came to shove in trying to fix a major malfunction with a customer who just endured a constant screwing over at their hands. Over 2 and a half hours later, the dealer had to go, congratulates me on my find and wished me well. He told me that although he was moving his business from PSA to Beckett, I should go speak to them before I leave. They go to Gencon and MTG events and would jump all over this. As he leaves, my cards finally hit the table. Bill does his presentation one card at a time to try and make amends, but I need to get going. I pack them up and we head out. I opted not to take the extra time to visit PSA, but now regretting not stopping by while we were waiting.... before we even get to the interstate, traffic is stop and go. On the Interstate, everything stops. I get out, mom switches to drive, I walk to have a smoke, but had to stop after a few cars, I finish my smoke and wait for the car to get to me. It took several hours to get out of Ohio. Pennsylvania was not much better. Remember the drunk driver who drove his long box dump truck with the box up in dump position over the Burlington bridge in Hamilton the other week? Smashed into the massive scaffolding structure encompassing the bridge for repairs? The truck is still there, wedged, while engineers continue to contemplate how to distinguish good scaffolding pieces from bad and devise a way to dismantle it enough to remove the truck without actually climbing onto the scaffolding...... That bridge is still closed. It took us just over 7 1/2 hours to get to National, just over 11 1/2 to get home.
Combined expenses: $367 US "

phiswiz
Legendary Camel Rider

Post by phiswiz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:06 pm

This is most unfortunate as I was really looking forward to this. I am a little surprised at Bill's behavior as well. I have had many interactions with Bill and they have all been pleasant.