Magic: The Gathering Collector Coins

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Blood
Librarities Hero

Magic: The Gathering Collector Coins

Post by Blood » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 pm

This is very interesting. More stuff for us to collect! :-k

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... y/news/281

"Today we are announcing our partnership with the New Zealand Mint to produce a series of Magic: The Gathering collector coins! Each coin is a one ounce 0.999 silver coin featuring iconic Magic art. Our first coin will feature the artwork of none other than Jace, the Mind Sculptor by Jason Chan."

"Each coin will be packaged in a display case and will come with an individually numbered certificate of authenticity."

"Since this item will make use of real silver in each coin, the pricing will be finalized once we get closer to launch. If you are a retailer interested in finding out more about purchasing these collector items, visit this page on the New Zealand Mint's website and complete their form to sign up."

http://www.nzmint.com/coins/Mtg

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:45 am

Thanks for posting that info.

The New Zealand Mint will make pretty much anything. They have already produced Star Wars Collector coins, The Hobbit and Dr Who coins.

Massive premiums on them as well.

These are collector coins for people who don't collect coins, no coin collectors would touch them with a barge pole, which is not a bad thing. Most collector coins are just a picture printed onto a blank bit of metal with maybe a bit of a raised design in places.

Sadly they don't tend to hold their value but generally the people buying them are buying them because they like them, not because they think they are an investment.

The only other people buying them are the speculators who try and buy large numbers on release and then slowly trickle them onto the market at massive mark-ups. The general thought is that it is the first coin in the series which is hardest to get and people who start collecting later will pay any amount to buy the coins they missed so they can complete their set.

New Zealand Mint often ruin it for speculators by selling the coins as sets and not individually.

The value of the silver is about $18, the coins will probbly be sold for around $100 each and will most likely come in a ridiculous presentation case, the Star Wars coins came in a Millenium Falcon that made noises when you opened it.

I seem to remeber the Shark coin came with a 'bite' mark in it (holes through the coin) and the presentation box had a bag of water in it that sloshed around when you moved it.

The pricing is normal for that type of coin, it sounds expensive but most mints will make collector coins for that price, the NZ mint just makes more pop culture series than most others and their packaging is usually better.

I would get some if they have the mana symbols on them, they will be pricey but imagine how cool your wooden deck boxes will be with a silver token set into them. Not over bothered with the characters though.

Silver tokens would be better than characters, something you could use within the game.

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:46 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:The value of the silver is about $18, the coins will probbly be sold for around $100
Very helpful; much appreciated!
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:50 am

Hi Jason

I fixed the link and add pics :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:00 am

What they should do, is make coins of actual magic cards, same look, size and all! I'd buy a coin of JTMS, or Drudge Skeletons!

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:15 pm

I'd buy a set, why not?

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 am

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:34 am

Excellent info from the Coin Collector's perspective.

Thanks

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:31 am

http://www.nzmint.com/coins/shop-online ... -309401673

90 Euro
US $125

To rich for my blood, not a lot of love for them on the coin collectors forums either.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 am

berkumps wrote:What they should do, is make coins of actual magic cards, same look, size and all! I'd buy a coin of JTMS, or Drudge Skeletons!
What we need is WotC to get in touch with these folks http://www.valaurum.com/aboutaurum.html
they can print really thin layers of gold with any picture on top, would certainly be a nice foil to have and you would be able to play with it in a deck!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Well the back on this really blows my mind. Nothing to do with the hobby and I wonder just what Her Majesty might think about being on Jace's backside....

Also, unless I am missing something, there isn't even a WotC or Hasbro logo on this thing. Certainly no real sign of ownership there.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:40 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Well the back on this really blows my mind. Nothing to do with the hobby and I wonder just what Her Majesty might think about being on Jace's backside....

Also, unless I am missing something, there isn't even a WotC or Hasbro logo on this thing. Certainly no real sign of ownership there.

Gary
Hey! The side you are calling the back is actually the front, (obverse). Jace is on the back (reverse). You have to have the Queen etc. on it or you can't sell it as legal currency for whatever tinpot country has been chosen.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:41 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:

Gary
Hi Gary

You do. What they call a coin is in fact a Silver Plate, you have Hasbro down left and MTG on top right. But what is definately missing is the Number of the coin like 1/5000, don't see it(Maybe on the siber border part left or right ?)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:34 pm

At least here in Spain, the fabric number of the coin is incorporated in a certified paper in the box, so I am not expecting the coin itself having a number.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:31 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:Well the back on this really blows my mind. Nothing to do with the hobby and I wonder just what Her Majesty might think about being on Jace's backside....

Gary
Hey! The side you are calling the back is actually the front, (obverse). Jace is on the back (reverse). You have to have the Queen etc. on it or you can't sell it as legal currency for whatever tinpot country has been chosen.
How silly of me Mark. I shouldn't have believed the WotC titles of "front" and "back" in their web announcement.

In any case, I agree that the $145.00 is a bit much for $20.05 worth of silver--even with Jace on it. Not as bad as the Helvault foils or the SDCC black promos but I really don't think my collection will need one of these in it.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.