Upcoming Seattle Shows with Lots of MtG Artists

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Upcoming Seattle Shows with Lots of MtG Artists

Post by notsofasteddie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Some reasons you might want to think about visiting Seattle in early 2013!!

Upcoming Shows

February 2013: "FAERIE: Contemporary Fairy Art Group Show", featuring Amy Brown, Todd Lockwood, Tara Larsen Chang, Greg Manchess, Stephanie Law, JB Monge, Gary Lippincott, Aaron Pocock, Omar Rayyan, Sheila Rayyan, Allen Williams, Poul Dohle, Myrea Pettit, Yoann Lossel, Emily Fiegenschuh, Fred Fields, Heather Hudson, Julie Baroh, Julia Jeffrey, Justin Gerard, Terese Nielsen, Tory and Norman Taber, Eric Orchard, Echo Chernik, Tom Kidd and Olivier Villoingt.

March 2013: "The Gathering: Reuniting Pioneering Artists of Magic: The Gathering", featuring Margaret Organ-Kean, Pete Venters, Rob Alexander, Sandra Everingham, Julie Baroh, Brian Snoddy, Jeff Menges, Anthony Waters, Ken Meyer, Jr., NeNe Thomas, Bryon Wackwitz, Liz Danforth, Drew Tucker, Mark Tedin, Daniel Gelon, Heather Hudson and Scott Kirchner.

http://www.krabjabstudio.com/#!about-us

Thanos
Librarities Member

Post by Thanos » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 am

If anyone is going to the Emerald City con and wouldn't mind getting a few cards signed for me, contact me, I can reciprocate or compensate for your time.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: Upcoming Seattle Shows with Lots of MtG Artists

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 pm

notsofasteddie wrote:Some reasons you might want to think about visiting Seattle in early 2013!!

March 2013: "The Gathering: Reuniting Pioneering Artists of Magic: The Gathering", featuring Margaret Organ-Kean, Pete Venters, Rob Alexander, Sandra Everingham, Julie Baroh, Brian Snoddy, Jeff Menges, Anthony Waters, Ken Meyer, Jr., NeNe Thomas, Bryon Wackwitz, Liz Danforth, Drew Tucker, Mark Tedin, Daniel Gelon, Heather Hudson and Scott Kirchner.
I couldn't find this info on the link you gave. I am interested in going but need to know a date for it as I may have to come from Korea for it.

Interesting to note that Jesper Myrfors is not listed. I thought he lived in that area.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Thanos
Librarities Member

Post by Thanos » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 pm

March 1-3

http://www.emeraldcitycomicon.com/

That list is not on there though but everyone except for Scott Kirchner will be there as of now.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 pm

DARN! I may not be able to get back from Korea by then. Sigh.

Need a bunch of APs signed too. Oh, well, another time maybe.

Thanks much for the info I must have butterfingered the search because I could not come up with it.

See you there If I can.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Thanos
Librarities Member

Post by Thanos » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanos wrote:If anyone is going to the Emerald City con and wouldn't mind getting a few cards signed for me, contact me, I can reciprocate or compensate for your time.
Anyone?

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Have we received confirmation that the The Gathering event is going to be taking place at the con on that weekend?

I tried to get info out of some of the artists but so far they are keeping mum.

Thanos
Librarities Member

Post by Thanos » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Bryon Wackwitz will not be attending either.

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:11 am

I can go down there to get stuff signed, but I'd need to be compensated since I'd have to get a hotel and take 2 days off work :P

Not asking for anything major, but a few dollars would be nice. If I go, does anyone want photos too?

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:33 pm

At Denver, when asked about the event, all Dan Farzier would say was "I know NOTHING.."

Gary
Gary Adkison

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:24 pm

The interview tomorrow on OMA has some more details, but nothing solid enough to make travel plans yet.

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 pm

I just got this answer to my inquiry regarding artist signings at the February 2013: "FAERIE: Contemporary Fairy Art Group Show." Not good news for the signed card collectors who were thinking about going. ](*,)

Hi Ed,

No admission fee. The opening is scheduled February 9, 6 - 9 pm and there will be no signing session at the opening. The show runs through the month of February and can be viewed Tues/Thurs, 2 - 5 pm or by appt.

We will be making more announcements for the show in the next upcoming weeks. You can join our facebook or Twitter account to keep up with us.

Thanks!

Julie Baroh

BadMagic
Librarities Member

Artists Attending ECCC

Post by BadMagic » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:28 pm

I had heard ECCC would be the 'soft opening' for 20th Anniv and GenCon is planned for 'formal event' - Which will be a BIG thing if true, as GC has become very predictable w/ diminishing list of artists attending...

According to one of the artists, "the following will be attending ECCC: Mark Tedin, Brian Snoddy, Anthony Waters, Pete Venters, Liz Danforth, Jeff Menges, Ken Meyer, Jr. I think Kaja and Phil Foglio will be attending but they did not confirm for the exhibit. Mike Kimble may be added to the list of attendees, not 100% sure yet."

I wish Drew Tucker, Daniel Gelon & Heather Hudson would make an appearance for a day!

The ECCC Website List is pretty weak... adding Mike Dringenberg in last 3 mo.

Thinking to go, but will have 2000-3000 cards to get signed... which won't happen in the 2-days I may go... so wont be able to hook anyone up on this one.

mystical_tutor

Re: Artists Attending ECCC

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 pm

BadMagic wrote:I had heard ECCC would be the 'soft opening' for 20th Anniv and GenCon is planned for 'formal event' - Which will be a BIG thing if true, as GC has become very predictable w/ diminishing list of artists attending...
Gosh seemed to me that there were more artists there this year. I met some I had never met before and didn't notice anyone missing. Was very happy to see some of them again.

It did seem like more had their own booths though. Steve Argyle and Nene Thomas for two---humm come to think of it I didn't see Edward Beard though, he usually has his own booth.

Of course, there are many newer ones I don't know so can't count them.
Gary Adkison

BadMagic
Librarities Member

Post by BadMagic » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:30 pm

My buddy Henry attends GenCon every year (past 10-12 yrs) and has tracked steady decline of MTG artists attending - Both number of artists and # cards/artist printed. Those who do attend are 'reliable' to attend each year w/o new artists showing. WOTC used to have 2-4 BIG surprise guests/yr (ie Kev Walker), which Hasbro hasn't continued. SD ComicCon has also seen dropping attendance - Still some great artists, but far fewer than even 2-3 years back... just too $$$ to have anything more than 6' white-cloth table in Artists Alley!

Last year the cons to hit were Spectrum in KC (~40 MTG artists inc Steve Argyle, who's work has greatly improved since his first releases!) and IlluxCon in Altoona (~30 MTG artists). This year it looks like ECCC (maybe), GC, Spectrum and IlluxCon (now in Allentown, PA) will be the shows to hit!

Ed Beard has dropped off the 'con circuit' after a 'run-in' with GenCon over his booth location (2008 I believe, last time I saw him there)... he now does RenFests and taunts 'the art establishment' for being snotty. He's spending his extra time painting his most memorable pieces on the 'Dragon Lord' van. Very cool paintjob!!!