Upcoming Seattle Shows with Lots of MtG Artists

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Humm, well, didn't realize it had been that long since I saw Ed. I didn't know about the fuss and hope it has settled down. I know that Peter stays out of booth location with a staunch determination as it can be very sticky. I noticed that Richard Thomas (White Wolf I think) was in a MUCH better position this year -- like right up front -- than last year. The company fellow told me last year they had an egg drop as two people thought the other one had done the reservation... ended up in the very back. We all, being human, can drop the ball.

Thanks for the stats, my guesstimation has always been an impression only.

What makes me kinda sad sometimes though is to walk artist row and see some REALLY cool/beautiful pieces that nobody is paying any attention to.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Re: Artists Attending ECCC

Post by notsofasteddie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm

BadMagic wrote:
I wish Drew Tucker, Daniel Gelon & Heather Hudson would make an appearance for a day!
+1

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm looking into plane tickets but would really like more details. I'll reach out to the studio today and see what I can find out.

That list is definitely shorter than the intial listing, though I can't find that listing on the page now.

I'll hopefully be able to do a bit of impromtu press and record some of the action for my site.

If it goes well, I may try to do the same thing for Spectrum, but that's a bit of a long shot.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 am

just too $$$ to have anything more than 6' white-cloth table in Artists Alley!
Artist alley is free as long as they reserve the spot in time. Unfortunately, many guys/gals still don't make enough $$ to cover the trip costs so they don't go. Most of the non "comic" artists I've noticed tend to be SoCal natives.
I have heard they're reducing the "free" space but then the same artists reserving the space (the ones I know at least) still get in so I dunno...
'the art establishment' for being snotty.
I think this is true as far as people like the publishers of Spectrum, dealers, owners of some of the sites... I don't think the artists themselves by and large are culprits. The biggest name artists, imo, have all been really nice to deal with. It's extremely EXTREMELY difficult to get any of them to criticize another peers work...

The publishers like Spectrum and various sites are a different story though as they're all backing different horses... I think this is starting to have a trickle down effect into MTG.

All the art having a "sameness" generic look these days... It looks "good" but I think -creatively- it's bankrupt.
The story driven thing and style guides push the artists into producing a known quantity and the issue is reinforced when "up and coming artist" knows he needs to get his break in Spectrum and he needs to "create" a piece that looks like something they will select for the publication/s.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09 am

Very well presented.

Thanks

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:03 pm

The 20th MtG Anniversay has finally shown up on the ECCC website. It's scheduled for Sunday March 3 11:00

20 YEARS OF THE GATHERING: A LOOK AT MAGIC'S PIONEERING ARTISTS

Room: GAMING
Start: 11:00AM
End: 11:55AM

Many of the pioneering artists of Magic: the Gathering will be on hand to discuss their impression of the game, what it means to them, and what they're doing now, 20 years later! Join original M:TG artists Julie Baroh, Mark Tedin, Ken Meyer Jr, and a host of others as they talk about the first years of Magic as well as their work on the new Kickstarter funded book "The Gathering"!

ECCC Programs

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Sunday??!?!?? No fair. Going to be flying back home by the time this happens.

Very disappointing. Would have changed.my travel plans if I new this but now it is too late.

Luckily most have a booth at the convention.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 pm

So I just booked my flight to Emerald City Comicon! Man this is going to be sweet. I will provide pictures of all the magic stuff there when I get back.

Side note, all the travel deal sites had the cheapest plane ticket from Philadelphia to Seattle round trip around $380-$425, and I logged onto Southwest and got tickets for $240...am I missing something here?

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Southwest only sells tickets via their website and not through any place else (no Expedia, Travelocity, etc.).

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Facebook Page for the Gathering Art Book
https://www.facebook.com/thegatheringartbook

List of Exhibitors and Gaming Exhibitors for Emerald City Comicon includes 14 MtG artists
http://www.emeraldcitycomicon.com/exhibitors

Mike Dringenberg will also be there as a guest
Last edited by notsofasteddie on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Super sad I can't make this :'-( :'-( :'-( :'-(

Oh well, best of luck to those going - keep us updated!!!

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:14 pm

FYI I am involved with this show. From a distance anyhow. I sent KJStudios a full array of playtest cards (about 300) from the early sets. Most are Alpha, including a few P9 with Starburst *red Time Walk* being the big one. Also my holographic Dragon Whelp, foil Visions cards, etc.

Unfortunately I will not make it from Ohio, but those cards will be featured at the show & The Gathering book. Let's cross our fingers everything makes it home safe. It's all insured, but...

And oh yea, TONS of original art, Julie Baroh gave me a quick rundown & it'll be awesome, trust me!

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:08 am

I will be live tweeting the event, especially the art.

Hopefully I will be able to pick up some original art while I am there as well.

Sadly I cant make it to the Sunday event and will likely be trying to find some to record it.

It is certainly shaping up to be a really good show.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:19 pm

This does sound pretty amazing. Too bad I'm also going to miss it

givememana

Post by givememana » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:44 pm

Anson Maddocks will be there. If there is anyone going to this that can let me know if he is selling artist proofs and pick them up for me? I need them from AQ, Legends and the Dark sets. I would appreciate the help.