Modern Master revealed (June 2013)

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Modern Master revealed (June 2013)

Post by Knutsen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:42 am

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi,
I really don't know what to think about this ...

very limited and 7$ each booster.
It will be a mix of a set and a cube draft.

It will be hard (expensif) to get a set.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:06 pm

This is an excellent idea. How limited this will be ? That's the question, because so many people will want to buy some, it will be out of print on the first day of release.

And yes, a set and a foil set will be expensive. From my perspective, I'm glad it's only in English...

Wait and see...

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:54 pm

I had a heads up on this product but am glad for the link as I didn't see the official blurb.

Questions unanswered in the blurb though are:
Will there be prereleases/launch party/game day for the set?
Will there be promos for the above?

Yes, it will be darn expensive to put a set together--specially if you want to go for the foils too. I really hope they put out a checklist early so we can see what will be impacted.

With tokens and a foil (oh-hum) in each booster we still only get 14 cards. That comes to about $800 (108 boosters at $7 ea plus sales tax) a set if you have the same pull luck I had for RTR and Avacyn. Which means you will still need to buy a couple Mythics to finish the set.

WHICH MEANS!!! At the present WotC allocation of product the store I buy out will have to reserve almost it total allocation for ME.. Just so I can try and pull a set.

If the release really is small as promised, Those online dealers that put together play sets and such will really make a bottle neck of the product. Though it may be much cheaper for us to buy instead of pull.

Plus, there will not be any Online sets because there will not be a redemption set available.

Their rationale is interesting and I want to believe they really are interested in the good of the game. I wish them luck as the one very true statement in the blurb is that Ch was a disaster. However, I think it was more of a disaster because of the cards selected that were useless for play. The big hitters (of the time) like the Elder Dragons and City of Brass had less impact on collectors then on the secondary market. For collectors it just made the original bb cards more available for collections at a lower price.

I may get some "booo"s for saying this but "collection" values were not hurt as bad as SPECULATORS and SECONDARY MARKET which tore their hair out and burned effigies of WotC.

This set may not do that because of the volume they propose to print. We will have to see. I think if a few "staples" are reprinted is small amounts it might encourage more play in the modern format.

My real question, though, is this set to encourage the format or just boost the bottom line. I don't actually know what is "Hot" in modern because I don't play it or even consider it worth considering. For me I would much rather play limited as all I see modern doing is creating another "limited" where certain hot cards grow in price and the decks get "standardized" as each new set comes out and all the pro tour "wanta-bes" have to play the netdecks to compete, which means they have to pay the money to the secondary market.

Looks like we have a challenge coming out way my friends.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:01 pm

The inevitable problem with the set is it will be gobbled up by collectors and speculators and never opened, or opened and put in binders. Only a small percentage of these cards are going to get into players' hands.

Since this is not a Standard legal set, maybe their best approach would be to keep this set in print much longer than a traditional set, but with low production numbers. This is a strategy that both prevents over production (like Chronicles) and eventually outlives the initial hype. This worked for Nintendo when releasing the Wii

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 pm

l0qii wrote:The inevitable problem with the set is it will be gobbled up by collectors and speculators and never opened, or opened and put in binders. Only a small percentage of these cards are going to get into players' hands.

Since this is not a Standard legal set, maybe their best approach would be to keep this set in print much longer than a traditional set, but with low production numbers. This is a strategy that both prevents over production (like Chronicles) and eventually outlives the initial hype. This worked for Nintendo when releasing the Wii
Definitely.

But if they do something like a Core Set for Modern, then, they can reprint cards which need to be reprinted.

But this is true, many guys will keep booster boxes sealed and will build sets.

They make a test they say, and leave the door open. Which is good. They don't want to take any risk and we can't blame for them.

There won't be pre-releases, and all the likes.

This is quite thrilling though, on a collector's point of view. 8 months to go.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:12 pm

The value of the sets will be the addition of all the cards inside the set's value IMO. SO this might be more than $800.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 pm

magic-belgium wrote:The value of the sets will be the addition of all the cards inside the set's value IMO. SO this might be more than $800.
If the set really is full of "goodies" but if it is like Ch and full of junk...

Where did you find that there will be no events? I must have missed that.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:46 pm

The Masters sets in MTGO are pretty good aren't they? I don't follow MTGO that closely, but I think the contents of the sets are way better than what we saw in Chronicles. I expect this set to be as good as those.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
magic-belgium wrote:The value of the sets will be the addition of all the cards inside the set's value IMO. SO this might be more than $800.
If the set really is full of "goodies" but if it is like Ch and full of junk...

Where did you find that there will be no events? I must have missed that.

Gary
If you read the article closely, it says that they won't make the same mistakes as for Chronicles.

They want this to sell, and make Modern Masters 2, 3, 4...

Considering the price of the boosters, you won't get crap...

Tarmo will be a pimper itself... A Foil Tarmo in this edition will be more expensive than the original one. We can bet...

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:05 pm

l0qii wrote:The Masters sets in MTGO are pretty good aren't they? I don't follow MTGO that closely, but I think the contents of the sets are way better than what we saw in Chronicles. I expect this set to be as good as those.
While the Masters Edition sets do have a few gems (including 5 each of the dual lands in sets 2 & 3, and all 10 duals in set 4), there are ALOT of crap cards in them, certainly on par with the crapness of Chronicles.

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Disclaimer: I have zero personal interest in this set!

$7/pack is nothing but a cash grab by Wizards.

Aaron stating they are setting the price high to avoid possible conflict about the set being standard legal is a poor joke. Same for establishing the price based on the "power level" of the set. If that is the case, they need to cut a whole lot of refund checks to people for the under powered sets they have produced thru the years.

They have zero chance of preventing the set from getting onto the hands of speculators so that part of their reasoning behind the price is laughable. If the set is as good as they are claiming, a good portion will get stashed aside by shops/individuals wanting to hold it to make a buck. Don't also be surprised when your store is told their discount for this product is much lower than a normal set as the distributors will certainly try to milk every cent out of the product as possible.

VERY bad precedence being set with this product they way it is being marketed but it is going to sell like crazy so the bean counters will love it.
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

Current Alpha Rare count = 1500+!

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm

You definitely are right...

I wonder if I can have a set made for myself. Foil and Non Foil...

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm

I think the $7 price tag is also to help mitigate a devaluation of existing cards. This is what caused the backlash of Chronicles.

Will it work? Probably not as well as they would like it to, but judging from how reprints of various box sets have affected things, it is likely to at least prevent the values from rising much farther than they have already.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:07 pm

It will be very interesting to see what happens.