New Extreme value packs!!!

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

New Extreme value packs!!!

Post by shaselai1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:39 am

Ok, i went to Target and saw a new Extreme value pack from Target. It is 7.99 and has 2 Worldwake packs with 8 bonus cards. I got 2 and the bonus cards are kinda interesting...
one pack had all revised:
2 conversion
3 plague rats
3 circle of protection white

anothr pack all 4th:
3 winter blast
3 wild growth - 1 miscut on the bottom
2 whilrling dervish.

4th edition stuff had 5 uncommons while revised stuff had 2 uncommons. They are all NM... Not sure if it is worth it but the worldwake packs are like 8 after tax but the bonus cards seems to not have rares in it and I doubt they go above revised so probably worthless?

So a side question... how much would a miscut NM wild growth 4th cost? the miscut is on the bottom - it has a very small white border and the top how bigger than normal white border....

misterpid
Legendary World's Toughest Milkman

Post by misterpid » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:26 pm

They've been putting out this type of thing for a while. I guess the ones with Worldwake packs just came out. At least they have spells in them now. Theone's I've gotten in the past all had 8 basic lands as the 8 cards included.

That miscut on the Wild Growth probably wouldn't change the value at all.
Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.

Mirror_Lich
Legendary Silent Forum Stalker

walmart value packs

Post by Mirror_Lich » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:13 am

On a similar note, I got two "value packs" at a local walmart today that had one booster (con and M10) and 30 bonus cards. I opened one just to see and it ranged from 4th and 5th edition, ice age, unhinged, nemesis, invasion, and zendikar. Only 7 were uncommons: 1 4th, 4 nem, 1 inv. 1 ice. No rares.

Most notably, many had seen play or definite signs of handling.

$6/pack... upc: 6 53569 36387 3

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Where does Walmart and Target get these value packs that are loaded with garbage? I need to find out who is packaging them and tell them they can purchase boatloads of discounted garbage from me. I've always wished I had an outlet for selling crap.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am

berkumps wrote:Where does Walmart and Target get these value packs that are loaded with garbage? I need to find out who is packaging them and tell them they can purchase boatloads of discounted garbage from me. I've always wished I had an outlet for selling crap.
Maybe they might even be interested in including some Wyvern cards :-\'

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:25 am

ende73 wrote:Maybe they might even be interested in including some Wyvern cards :-\'
Just when I think I've forgotten about that, I'm pleasantly reminded!

Then again, I could always just look in my basement to remind myself, but I tend not to go down there too much. It's where the laundry room is, and where all the useless cards I've purchased reside.

stu55
Librarities Legend

Post by stu55 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:05 am

berkumps wrote:Where does Walmart and Target get these value packs that are loaded with garbage? I need to find out who is packaging them and tell them they can purchase boatloads of discounted garbage from me. I've always wished I had an outlet for selling crap.

Haha, I may or may not have had something to do with this ;)

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:31 pm

You know, I have been wondering where they get all those cards too. I think WotC cleaned out it's warehouse at some time and even though R&D go through a bunch of cards now and then I can't imagine where this all comes from. Not sure how many of these are made US wide (world wide??) but we are talking a lot of junk cards.

Well, ok, maybe not as many as you have berkumps....LOL

Gary

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:47 pm

I doubt these are done directly through Wizards. More likely big companies like Walmart and Target are able to get a higher profit by running their excesses of new product (and recent close-outs) through a re-packer. The re-packers either are big card purchasers on their own (and these are their bulk discards), or are the ones willing to buy the occasional 100,000 card lot off of Ebay.

When Wizards needs to dump excess older product they often include some sort of special promo item at the wholesale level (Cloisonne pins, special promo cards, tokens and poker chips, etc.). The wholesalers also get very liberal terms on where and how they can retail the bulk purchases.

So take some discounted unopened products, plus a bunch of near-worthless bulk commons/uncommons, add in the occasional chase (promo) card, and you have extreme value packs. For Target and Walmart they have something different, and their profit margins are higher on the final purchase.