Misprint Foil Reflecting Pools from SHM?

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Misprint Foil Reflecting Pools from SHM?

Post by yawg07 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Yes! I didn't personally get one, but people are talking about them over on MTGsalvation.
They have the white mana symbol foiled into the back of the text box and the card is surely not a plains of any sort.

Very strange, and lots of people have seen them like this, with no other symbols, just the white one.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:37 pm

damn you beat me to it.

There are several reports of this, who knows if they are all like that or not.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:19 pm

Is this from the prereleases? There have been foil errors in the past that were corrected before general distribution. If they fix this, these will be hot.

stu55
Librarities Legend

Post by stu55 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:25 pm

All like that, can some one post over at mtgs they are all like that too before people start to freak out there since i have been suspended for 3 months..ha

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Post by PolarBearGod » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:27 pm

My friend went to the North Carolina release and saw one there. I was blown away by this. How does something like that slip by?

stu55
Librarities Legend

Post by stu55 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:49 pm

how does charlie brown get on medallions? it happens

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Reflecting Pool

Post by equi-nox76 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:41 am

A very nice misprint, so again something I'll have to hunt for :-\'

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:18 pm

April 25, 2008

Q: I have a foil Reflecting Pool from Shadowmoor that has the plains symbol. Is this a print mistake?
–Vic, Philippines

A: From Aaron Forsythe, director of Magic R&D:

Sadly, it is. To ease your pain, here is a bit of a long story:

For a long time, various DCI promos (including Friday Night Magic prizes) have had foil "knockouts" in their text boxes as a way to make the card feel more special. By "knockout" I mean that the physical colored ink printed on the card is more or less the same as it is on the normal versions of the card, but some extra voodoo is performed on the layer of foil applied to it, allowing a logo to shine through.

When Mark Rosewater was compiling his long list of ways for jokes to be worked into the Unhinged set several years ago, he came up with "jokes in the foil," using a trick similar to the one done on the DCI promos. The premium versions of cards such as Goblin Mime and Gleemax show hidden things in the foiling of the card art, and there are several other such cards in the set.

We had all that in mind when the question came up during Shadowmoor development of how obvious it would be that the lands in the Sapseep Forest cycle had basic land types. We wanted a way to show the big mana symbol in the text box similar to the way they appear on normal basic lands. Because these cards have text, the big mana symbol wouldn't look nice in the frame, but art director Jeremy Jarvis was willing to try doing a special foil treatment so that the premium versions of the cards had something special going on that the normal versions do not.

Unfortunately, when you are trying new things, mistakes can easily be made. The premium versions of our cards don't have nearly as many pairs of eyes scrutinizing them as the regular versions do, mostly because we always assume that they are essentially going to be the same. The white mana symbol was inserted into the text box of the premium Reflecting Pool, carried over from the premium Mistveil Plains, and no one noticed it until the printed cards were in our hands.

All printed versions of the foil Shadowmoor Reflecting Pool have the white symbol on them, so yours isn't a particularly rare version or anything like that, but rather just a result of an oversight. We certainly know what to check for the next time we do special foil treatments like this.
Ci sono cose che succedono ai vivi non ai morti.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Does this mean foil Mistveil Plains is missing this symbol?

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:17 pm

berkumps wrote:Does this mean foil Mistveil Plains is missing this symbol?
No, it has it too. It was accidentally placed on the pool as well.
More importantly, does this mean they WONT be correcting this?
Damn lol

Grapes17
Librarities Hero

Post by Grapes17 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:00 am

yawg07 wrote:
berkumps wrote:Does this mean foil Mistveil Plains is missing this symbol?
No, it has it too. It was accidentally placed on the pool as well.
More importantly, does this mean they WONT be correcting this?
Damn lol
I think that is exactly what it means. So instead of this being an awesomely rare misprint, it is just another card.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

$$

Post by equi-nox76 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:15 pm

PUH! I first thought that will become another high$$ card :-P