MTG: Coldsnap

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Raven_Fire

Post by Raven_Fire » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:14 pm

Mr.C wrote:Now, the problem will be if this is a Online only release. I'll be SO disappointed.
It wouldn't really make sense to release it only Online since there are no Online versions of IA or AL.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:18 pm

Well, if the power level ramps up from Ice Age -> Alliances -> Cold Snap there could be some really interesting cards. But if it ends up being Ice Age part 2, I don't think power level will be an issue..;-)

Maybe my box of Ice Age sitting at home will have a home in a future draft...that would almost be cool actually.

Wanna see the demise of some of the planeswalkers that are in Ice Age tho, some of them need to go down (and, I assume, probably did in the books that I never read - comic or regular).

Gryfalia

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:24 pm

I actually think they'll probably use old art - if the set was really as well developed as they claim, it's very possible they had art commissioned for the set before they shelved it.

But seriously though...how many of you guys knew there was a 'lost' set from the Ice Age era?

Squt

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:50 pm

If it is really true and old frames, then this will be officially the last boosterboxes i ever buy! :P
Can't wait!!

btw, i have read before about Coldsnap in a very old issue of Duelist (don't ask me which one, i really cannot remember :( )
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:21 pm

I also have heard of Coldsnap before as well, but could not remeber from where but thought to back up Axios' claim that it was in print somewhere at one time. Duelist or not, there has been reference to this never before seen set.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:31 pm

Really? I just assumed that it was a completely newly designed set, and that they had added the "long-lost" stuff and such for flavor. I assume, though, that it went through/is going through development (possibly after a bit of design) prior to release.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:51 pm

No I did read it somewhere. I have every Scrye made as well as a decent handful of Duelists. Axios may be right that it might have been in an early Duelist. If I get bored, I might go looking again to see if I can locate the reference.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:55 pm

the problem is, since my last move, i stored all my duelists and inquest in a big box and put them on the attic.
There are about 100 big boxes with comics, books, magazines on the attic.
Not counting all the boxes with other stuff p there.
Yes, we still have enough room on the attic to have a large quest room ;)

It will take me too much time to look through all of it, time i don't have.
I know for sure it wasn't an Inquest and i don't read Scrye.......
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:06 pm

AXIOS wrote:the problem is, since my last move, i stored all my duelists and inquest in a big box and put them on the attic.
There are about 100 big boxes with comics, books, magazines on the attic.
Not counting all the boxes with other stuff p there.
Yes, we still have enough room on the attic to have a large quest room ;)

It will take me too much time to look through all of it, time i don't have.
I know for sure it wasn't an Inquest and i don't read Scrye.......
I have mine stacked on a bookshelf in my bedroom. There are enough Scryes to warrant a comics box, but the small stack of Duelists I have are loose. I'll try and look through them this week (or soon) and see if I can find the reference.

Lasbrook

Post by Lasbrook » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:30 am

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/291
the new coldsnap info.

It's in the new card face and will have foils even. Considering that it doesnt seem like it made it that far in design im pretty sure it will have new art too. I don't really follow small set rarity percentages but doesnt this seem kinda high on rares?

I'd like to see them reprint FoW in one of the precons tho, I mean it is only an uncommon after all. I don't really care either way about seeing FoW in the new card frame but it would be kinda funny.

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:53 am

Q. Will there be foils?
A. Yes. The way we're treating this is that we uncovered a lost design file, not a completed set. That means we're sending the set through modern development, modern templating, modern typesetting, etc. The card wordings will all be updated to work with current Magic rules (no "interrupts") and we will include such niceties as expansion symbols color-coded by rarity, collector numbers, and foils.

Modern templating, modern typesetting, foils... this sux!

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:37 pm

Q. Will there be theme decks?
A. Yes. We're going to publish boosters, theme decks, and a Fat Pack for this release. Since this is the third set of the Ice Age block, of course, the theme decks will include a few cards from the first two sets of the block. For those cards we will be updating them to the new card frames (since Coldsnap uses the new card frames), but we will be keeping their original art.

If they reprint Force of Will, that would be hilarious. They did go on to say reprinted Ice Age and Alliances cards wouldn't be Type 2 legal, but still. :evil:
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

phyconaut
Librarities Member

Post by phyconaut » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:46 pm

Well its time i say hellow to my long lost magic cousin. I started playing in Ice age and to this day it is my favorite set (hence icy collection). my only reaction to this is to quote animal house.

HOLY SHIT!
HOLY SHIT!
HOLY SHIT!

well thats my reaction due to the fact I hate type 2 and extended but snow covered land box is coming out of storage.
Current projects
Icy Manipulator Global set
The Mountain Project (Oficial name comming soon)
links for lists comming soon.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:17 pm

Wow, I am excited to see these cards released. Too bad Ice Age/ Alliances still remains non- T2 legal. Time to dust off some old cards!

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:08 am

i just wanted to chime in on this. releasing coldsnap is a very cool idea, but i think wizards missed out on a great oppurtunity to release a product with some of the "old" magic feel to it. if they would have gone back to the old template (and maybe even rules including going so far as to make interrupts), and used old magic artists (even crappy ones), i think they could have made something special. this was literally the only chance they will ever have to make an old-fashioned (good or bad) magic set and they seem to have blown it. i like the magic being made today but its so playtested and streamlined that it doesnt always contain the "soul" that drew me into the game. if i started playing today with the new cards, i probably wouldnt get into it. hopefully coldsnap will somehow contain some nostalgic charm of ice age-era magic. id love to hear anybody else's opinion on this.