Historical Information

Whenever you have an idea or a question about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

Post Reply
User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Historical Information

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:56 pm

Alexis:

I keep loosing this kind of valuable historical information. Is there a "historical" section on the board? I remember posts like this from the past that I can not remember who wrote and can't find with search. They often happen in the middle of a thread, like this one, then fade away with the thread later.

Not even sure how one would go about indexing them but I hate to see stuff fade away into the archives.

Gary
hammr7 wrote:Color variations were all over the place in Ice Age. In addition, a common problem with any large print shop like Carta Mundi is that they can sometimes bring the wrong "wear coat" formulation to the printing press.

Almost all finish coats in the 80's and 90's were solvent-based (or VOC) solutions containing mixtures of acrylic and urethane resins. They could also contain components to control luster, plus stabilizers and sometimes traces of anti-bacterial or anti-fungal agents.

In the 90's Carta Mundi had a number of different wear coat formulations for their different products. On at least a few occasions they applied the wrong coating to Magic Cards. You could tell when the wear coat was off a bit by the mottled look on the back of an un-played card. I also saw this on some Fallen Empire and Homelands cards, but rarely on anything produced after those sets.

Your Ice Age cards, unlike the Alt-4th cards, will probably glow under UV light. This is because U. S. Playing card Company added a UV stabilizer, which Carta Mundi never did. (This is one reason why Cart Mundi's early cards were so easy to make fade in strong sunlight).
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Historical Information

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Alexis:

I keep loosing this kind of valuable historical information. Is there a "historical" section on the board? I remember posts like this from the past that I can not remember who wrote and can't find with search. They often happen in the middle of a thread, like this one, then fade away with the thread later.

Not even sure how one would go about indexing them but I hate to see stuff fade away into the archives.

Gary
hammr7 wrote:Color variations were all over the place in Ice Age. In addition, a common problem with any large print shop like Carta Mundi is that they can sometimes bring the wrong "wear coat" formulation to the printing press.

Almost all finish coats in the 80's and 90's were solvent-based (or VOC) solutions containing mixtures of acrylic and urethane resins. They could also contain components to control luster, plus stabilizers and sometimes traces of anti-bacterial or anti-fungal agents.

In the 90's Carta Mundi had a number of different wear coat formulations for their different products. On at least a few occasions they applied the wrong coating to Magic Cards. You could tell when the wear coat was off a bit by the mottled look on the back of an un-played card. I also saw this on some Fallen Empire and Homelands cards, but rarely on anything produced after those sets.

Your Ice Age cards, unlike the Alt-4th cards, will probably glow under UV light. This is because U. S. Playing card Company added a UV stabilizer, which Carta Mundi never did. (This is one reason why Cart Mundi's early cards were so easy to make fade in strong sunlight).
Hi Gary

No there's no historical section, only topics that are spread mainly in the Archives, and different sections on the forum.

Our users have posted a total of 57444 articles
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

random
Librarities Legend
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by random » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:03 pm

Ice Age cards always feel damp to me when I open product.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:01 pm

random wrote:Ice Age cards always feel damp to me when I open product.
Do NOT allow them to warm up to room temperature before opening and always store them in the fridge.

Cold Snap is even worse. That is why it was never printed in Arabic.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:30 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
random wrote:Ice Age cards always feel damp to me when I open product.
Do NOT allow them to warm up to room temperature before opening and always store them in the fridge.

Cold Snap is even worse. That is why it was never printed in Arabic.

Gary

HaHa!! That's funny!

Tav

hammr7
Librarities Legend
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: Southern New Jersey

Post by hammr7 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:36 pm

The problem of consolidating historical documentation has been a concern for many years. Ralph and I clashed over how best to store and categorize the data. He wanted to keep all "relevant" posts completely intact and stored in a chronological order. So we have the "archives" section, where some historical information has been lost (from improper pruning of threads) and the majority of historical data is very, very difficult to search.

I had wanted to convert the archives into a truly searchable database. The problem was the cost of integrating a robust database into the forum software, and then translating the existing posts and attaching appropriate keywords to the various threads.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest