Rarities listing inconsistancies

Whenever you have an idea or a question about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Rarities listing inconsistancies

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:07 am

This comment is meant to request, what this collector believes is, a more logical and intuitive listing for Magic Rarities cards.

1) Having the 6x9 cards listed because of their size is very illogical to me. The were produced for a reason and used by WotC for a purpose. They should be included in the lists designated for those reasons/purposes. To categorize them by size makes the other lists incomplete.

i.e. Arena League Promos. A 6x9 Balance is an Arena League Promo card but not listed under that heading, in fact, there are no Arena League Promo cards listed for two years.

Non Arena League Promos should be included in their appropriate catagories such as media inserts.

2) Player Reward Token cards are Player Reward Cards and should be listed in the Player Reward Card section instead of "hidden" in an obscure listing. Looking at the Player Reward List would lead one to believe there were no player reward cards issued in 2002. Just because they are "tokens" does not make them any less of a reward or a card (and in some cases much more desirable than arena lands). I suggest the token cards be moved to the PR section.

Just an opinion by one that had a heck of time organizing promos based on these listings.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:15 am

Hi.
Since the beginning of Magic Rarities, we always have an Oversized section, to me seems more than fine and logical.Player Reward Tokens are Tokens, so they do belong in the Tokens section.Let's see what the others Members are thinking.Thanks for your concern.Have a great Sunday.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
psrex
Librarities Legend
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 6:06 am
Location: NH, USA

Post by psrex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:51 pm

Could they be listed in both categories? There's certainly no reason that they couldn't be in both places since they fit the criteria for each category.

User avatar
equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:20 am
Location: Cologne, Germany

twice

Post by equi-nox76 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 pm

psrex wrote:Could they be listed in both categories? There's certainly no reason that they couldn't be in both places since they fit the criteria for each category.
hm, I would not mention those cards twice on the site. Chris
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:46 am

psrex wrote:Could they be listed in both categories?
Or at least have the cards referenced in the "index" of each type, so that when a person looks at player rewards or Areana they realize there were cards given out each year but have the links go to where the pictures are now. Crossreferencing has some advantages.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
aleksandr
Librarities Legend
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:55 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Post by aleksandr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:52 am

I think a note and a link would suffice. I for one think the current organization is sufficient. My collection is organized similar to the site. I do not, for example, intersperse 6x9 cards with my normal sized arena league promos.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:25 am

aleksandr wrote:I think a note and a link would suffice. I for one think the current organization is sufficient. My collection is organized similar to the site. I do not, for example, intersperse 6x9 cards with my normal sized arena league promos.
How about your regulat size Player Reward Token cards? Do you put them in a seperate location?

Will the token listing now be used also for the tokens in the recient sets? They don't even have "Magic" backs on them.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
aleksandr
Librarities Legend
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:55 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Post by aleksandr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:37 pm

I do keep tokens separate. Maybe I'm odd in the way that I organize? ;)

Although I do keep MPR tokens in the same binder as other promos, whereas my collection of tokens from 10th Ed forward are in a separate binder.

I had trouble deciding where to put the Marit Lage token back when Coldsnap released. First I put it with other tokens, but then I decided to keep it with other release promos.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:48 pm

aleksandr wrote:I do keep tokens separate. Maybe I'm odd in the way that I organize? ;)
I had trouble deciding where to put the Marit Lage token back when Coldsnap released. First I put it with other tokens, but then I decided to keep it with other release promos.
Tis not odd. Each mind works a little differently and what is comfortable is best. Mine is with my release promos--just as my player release tokens are with the other PR cards.

I solved my delema with the "set" tokens by putting one set of tokens right after the lands in each binder. Because I am collecting (more accurately "accumulating") all of the combinations of front and back I made seperate binders for those rather than clutter my set binder with pages of tokens/hint cards/advertisements. At this point I have no idea how many "backs" each set of the tokens/hint cards have. Have you seen a listing anywhere on all the known combos?
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
aleksandr
Librarities Legend
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:55 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Post by aleksandr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:12 pm

It's funny you say that because I've been mulling doing up a website with such a listing. I was thinking of scanning each front and back and doing some kind of table cross-referencing what exists.

I have a *huge* collection of tokens/tip cards now--I suspect I have the bulk of them. Unfortunately, each new release is making things more difficult. For example, in Shards there are about 9 different backs for the Goblin token.

Conflux has made a real mess of things--in addition to the two new tokens in Conflux, you can also get Soldiers, Zombies, and Saprolings in Conflux--all with new backs. I've counted about 10 new zombie backs! In addition, a few of those backs are very similar to backs from Shards--for example, there is a Magic Online back in both sets, however, the text is spaced differently and the background color is slightly different, making them two unique backs.

I would love to collaborate on the token/tip stuff with you if you'd like.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:33 pm

aleksandr wrote: Conflux has made a real mess of things--in addition to the two new tokens in Conflux, you can also get Soldiers, Zombies, and Saprolings in Conflux--all with new backs. I've counted about 10 new zombie backs! In addition, a few of those backs are very similar to backs from Shards--for example, there is a Magic Online back in both sets, however, the text is spaced differently and the background color is slightly different, making them two unique backs.
That explains why I have 13 different backs on Saprolings....doh. Never dawned on me that the Conflux backs might be different than Shards for the same token. HOLD ON!!! ....... Whew, I had to run over and rescue the pile of "extras" I sorted out--they may not be extra.

I have 13 different back designs on Conflux inserts (token/non-token). This is going to be interesting.
aleksandr wrote: I would love to collaborate on the token/tip stuff with you if you'd like.
I will be more than glad to share what info I have. And, with what you have mentioned it appears that the "tokens" can not be separated from the "tips/game highlights/etc" in the same set. They will all have to be looked at as one print run. Guess I'll have to go down and buy a box of each and separate them out so I can have a standard reference for each print run.

I'll pm you my email address so we can do this without wasting board space.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
aleksandr
Librarities Legend
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:55 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Post by aleksandr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:15 pm

It sounds like Gary and I will start working on this project via Email. If anyone has any interest in helping out, that would be awesome. As I explained to him in a PM my expertise on the token/tips is strictly English, so I'm sure we'll need some help from board members with access to foreign tips/tokens.

If we do end up with high-quality scans, what are the specifications for scans to share with this site? I'd like to make sure to scan only once if possible ;)

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:40 pm

aleksandr wrote: If we do end up with high-quality scans, what are the specifications for scans to share with this site? I'd like to make sure to scan only once if possible ;)
Hi Aleksandr.
For specifications for scans, you should contact Misterfoilcard/Hans Dietrich is the one in charge of the High-Quality of this website.Also in the future an update will took care with all Token and Tip cards in English, German, Italian.
I will let you know exactely from which Editions/Extensions.Take Care.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:05 am

dragsamou wrote:Also in the future an update will took care with all Token and Tip cards in English, German, Italian.
I will let you know exactely from which Editions/Extensions.Take Care.
Does this mean that what were are thinking about doing has already been done? I'm not a wheel re-inventer.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:24 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
dragsamou wrote:Also in the future an update will took care with all Token and Tip cards in English, German, Italian.
I will let you know exactely from which Editions/Extensions.Take Care.
Does this mean that what were are thinking about doing has already been done? I'm not a wheel re-inventer.
Hi.
It means that some Tokens will be added in the future, I just don't know exactely from which extensions or Editions, as soon as I have the answer from Misterfoilcard, I will let you know.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest