what do you collect

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Tenacious_Dyl

Re: what do you collect

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:38 am

In addition to older, "fun" cards, I also am the proud owner of over 200 Fyndhorn Brownies from Ice Age :-) Such a silly but fun collection.. no stores near me have any brownies left!!

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:27 am

I casually collect sets, I have most of a beta set, about half an alpha, all the expansions up through tempest, when I stopped doing this, and a handful of others that I thought were worth doing.

I collect all the promos and other weird stuff.

I collect unopened packs, but that's mostly all english and a handful of foreign ones. And again this stopped around Tempest, except for a handful that I thought were worth keeping.

I also collect the card Kudzu.

And recently I started collecting old magic advertisements. This is my current focus. It's a lot harder than you think!

the_phoenix

Post by the_phoenix » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:18 am

I collect misprints of all sorts. I chose this hobby because it's always an adventure--you never know what you're going to find. :) It's also a good investment since you can usually pick up misprints locally (or on MOTL, etc.) quite cheaply. The filler cards and pre-release cards do pose a difficulty, though. I don't make sets or collect promos, or anything like that.

Chad2012

Post by Chad2012 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:23 am

Mostly anything old (IE Alpha-AN) or weird (IE misprints) but I also have every card Quinton Hoover illustrated (except the best one :-/ ) and about 320 Dark Rituals.

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:33 am

too bad there is no one list that has everyone's address and what they collect.  I could dump so much trash.

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:50 am

I colect everything so dump over here.  lol     ;D

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:31 am

I started a near impossible task when I started in Magic the Gathering during 4th/Ice Age. This task is still ongoing and incomplete as of today. What may you ask in my project? Well it is to simply have a pack mint card from every set and every expansion (English and US released) every printed. This also includes all promos, foil and non-foil. I completed the first set of foils (Urza's Legacy), but decided to stop after that. At 3 sets a year, all my gaming budget $$ would have to get poured into MTG, and I decided against this.

I have everything complete except:
Alpha Mox Jet
Alpha Mox Sapphire
Foil JSS Giant Growth
Foil JSS Two-Headed Dragon
Foil DCI Argothian Enchantress
a few random 8Ed cards I still need (not in a hurry here)
About a 1/3 of the rares left of Mirrodin to complete

summermagicman

Post by summermagicman » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:42 am

I only collect summer magic cards at this time.

I'm particularly interested in the more playable common summer magic cards.

I don't have exact count, but I have about 25-30 summer cards now. This is nothing compared to some magic rarities members, but it's a start! I really picked an awful magic rarity to collect $$....

I used to collect alpha/beta/and other oldies, but stopped acquiring them.

silver.paladin

Post by silver.paladin » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:55 am

mintcollector wrote: I started a near impossible task when I started in Magic the Gathering during 4th/Ice Age. This task is still ongoing and incomplete as of today. What may you ask in my project? Well it is to simply have a pack mint card from every set and every expansion (English and US released) every printed. This also includes all promos, foil and non-foil. I completed the first set of foils (Urza's Legacy), but decided to stop after that. At 3 sets a year, all my gaming budget $$ would have to get poured into MTG, and I decided against this.

I have everything complete except:
Alpha Mox Jet
Alpha Mox Sapphire
Foil JSS Giant Growth
Foil JSS Two-Headed Dragon
Foil DCI Argothian Enchantress
a few random 8Ed cards I still need (not in a hurry here)
About a 1/3 of the rares left of Mirrodin to complete
I notice there there are a few Giant Growth JSS auctions happening all the time now, including  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=19115  which is not too bad for a relatively new card (and there are 2 of them in this auction).  It should help close one of the holes in your collection.

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:27 am

silver.paladin wrote:
I notice there there are a few Giant Growth JSS auctions happening all the time now, including  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=19115  which is not too bad for a relatively new card (and there are 2 of them in this auction).  It should help close one of the holes in your collection.
Thanks for the info, but I am waiting to get this card and the 2-Headed Dragon from a source I get cheap JSS cards from.  At the price I get them at, the wait is worth it.  I just need to note that they are missing from my sets.

DerangedHermit

Post by DerangedHermit » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:39 am

l0qii wrote:I collect the card Apathy, but so far I only have 2
LOL!

I collect Deranged Hermits...

12 non foil (including 1 Portuguese, 1 miscut, and one with extremely dark ink), 2 foil

I also collect other squirrel cards, but not as much.

Tahngarth

Post by Tahngarth » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:56 pm

I´m a plain normal Promo collector.

I just want to get each only once. At the moment I´m missing
Japanese JSS V.Hammer
JSS 2headed
JSS Giant Growth
DCI Argothian Enchantress

and being bored I also started collecting the Beta set but at the moment I´m concentrating on the Beta P9 (only Ancestral missing and swap Alpha Jet for Beta one) as I think they will go up in value faster than the other cards.

And I used to collect Lord of the Pits and Leviathans as they are cheap to obtain and are just plain cool :)
So if any of you has any cool Lords or Leviathans just drop me a line (but not the normal ones, I´m missing some foreign wb ones only)

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:20 pm

tahngarth wrote:I´m a plain normal Promo collector.

I just want to get each only once. At the moment I´m missing
Japanese JSS V.Hammer
JSS 2headed
JSS Giant Growth
DCI Argothian Enchantress

and being bored I also started collecting the Beta set but at the moment I´m concentrating on the Beta P9 (only Ancestral missing and swap Alpha Jet for Beta one) as I think they will go up in value faster than the other cards.

And I used to collect Lord of the Pits and Leviathans as they are cheap to obtain and are just plain cool :)
So if any of you has any cool Lords or Leviathans just drop me a line (but not the normal ones, I´m missing some foreign wb ones only)
What condition is your Alpha Jet in?  

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:45 am

I collect things outside of MTG, but sticking to cards, I collect:

1 of every card from every standard English set in NM/M condition. I'm about a year or so behind mintcollector & probably not quite as strict as him...but close.

I still need Legends, Unl, Beta, Alpha cards to finish those sets. Mirrodin & 8th too, but hey.

Also included are Alternate 4th (I have 201 diff. cards & am getting more) & Summer (a pipe dream). Misprints too, I have so many I want more.

Alpha Playtest/ LD/ Gamma cards. I have a bunch & of course want more.

And getting to the goofy stuff I pick up:

Frozen Shade
Phantom Monster
Urborg (a legends land)
5th edition Marsh Viper
8th edition Death Pits of Rath

The above quote Edgar A. Poe!

Lower priority:

Wall of Putrid Flesh
Gaea's Leige (for a friend)
Nettling Imp
Serra Angel old artwork
Granite Gargoyle
Anything old school- I dig the T1 stuff

I won't even start on my record collection & rock & roll memorabilia....

rick21n

Post by rick21n » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:53 am

Well the only thing I really collect is Ornithopters.  I have around 930 of them.  Trying for 1000 by Christmas.  Only English one I am missing is the Summer Magic version.  

- Rick