MTGNews Is Dead

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

PopokiOfDeath

MTGNews Is Dead

Post by PopokiOfDeath » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:46 am

I'm sure everyone here was at least an occasional visitor there, and last night all 4 primary mods quit due to horrible mistreatment and lack of support by the new owner. Without them I don't think spoilers will be complete before the prerelease again, and mtgnews is dead. Of course the owner won't admit it and is blaming the mods... Here's a link to the farewell message, and one to the owners responce:

http://mtgnews.com/F/Topic/110455811096 ... odbye.html

http://www.mtgnews.com/F/Topic/11045774 ... ne___.html

TerraFrost

Re: MTGNews Is Dead

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:20 am

not that i've frequented mtgnews in a looooong time, but i'm gonna guess that horrible mistreatment and lack of support pretty much amounts to the owner usually siding with members when they have disputes with the staff?

anyway, leaving something when you've invested as much time in it as those people have is usually a very hard thing.  i think that fact is testament to how bad it was...

PopokiOfDeath

Post by PopokiOfDeath » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:24 am

Not at all, the members supported the mods ALL the way. Basically raa (the owners who bought it) completly neglected it, made dozens of promises he never even attempted to keep, and blamed the mods when he screwed up. I hope he paid a ton for 'news, so he loses a lot now that it's dead.

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:35 am

Wow, it takes a lot of talent to run something that big into the ground.

PopokiOfDeath

Post by PopokiOfDeath » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:36 am

GJ Ben, I see you already joined the new board! For anyone who wants to join the "new" mtgnews.com here is the link:

http://www.retetched.com/optix/phpBB2/index.php

Many of the longtime members are there and many more are joining by the hour!

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:48 am

I'm not your poster boy...

Mr.C

Post by Mr.C » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:33 am

A 'contest' for a new admin... lol... you dont choose an admin on a contest... That seems like a desperate play to try to save the site, but i think it is dead...

stu55

Post by stu55 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:45 am

Trust me, the owners are jokes, and anything they say is crap.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:12 am

So it has happened again. This time, it sounds permanent, however. I fear MTGNews will suffer heavily from the loss.

TerraFrost

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:55 am

,,,and now both news items have been deleted...

normalbrains

Post by normalbrains » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:55 am

does anybody want to step in and fill the void? i own the domain name cardboardcrack.com. if anybody wants to make a "new mtgnews" type site and has skills to help out (admin, mod, website design, etc), email me.

normalbrains@yahoo.com

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:03 am

I talked to rancord_elf breifly, and I'm sure he's tired of talking about it... but he says he will lay low for a while. No one else has specific plans either, or so they say.

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:32 am

i haven't liked MTG news for awhile now. So I won't miss it.

silver.paladin

Post by silver.paladin » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:43 am

Personally, the only reason I would check out MTGNews was for the spoilers. I never found much use for it other wise.
The comments to the news items most often appeared to be all children.  The biggest thing being who was 1st or 2nd at responding to a subject was the most foolish thing to see.  And even though the moderators there had many times supposedly *warned* people not to do that, it was done constantly, and nothing was done.
And its that same 1st post, 500 post, whatever, that has turned me off on a couple people here too.
So, I will miss the spoilers (if it is removed or not updated), but otherwise, there is nothing there that I will miss.

flatmatt

Post by flatmatt » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:19 pm

The only thing MTGNews had was rumored cards.  Without rancored_elf, there's no reason to go there.  It's that simple.  No one can fill in for r_e, at least not without working hard for a year or two to build up sources and trust.