Huge Summer/Edgar Raw Sale on ABU eB Store

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Huge Summer/Edgar Raw Sale on ABU eB Store

Post by Hayden » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:04 am

Hello all you fellow Summer collectors. Saw this and thought you may want to know that alphabetaunlimited eBay store has listed a huge raw summer collection as individual card auctions this week that ends on Thursday June 23rd. I checked their website but they only have some summer lands shown in inventory so it looks like they are making this only available via eBay (for now). The cards look to be in fantastic condition too. I'm tempted to restart the completion of my set...

Anyway hope this notice helps and good luck to anyone who takes a shot to win some of these.
\:D/

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Re: Huge Summer/Edgar Raw Sale on ABU eB Store

Post by matts46570 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Hey Paul!

I actually grabbed the Doppelganger. I've wanted that one for a long time and since this is a particularly tough one to find I decided to get it before they decided to put it on ebay. There are a lot of cool deals, particularly for some of the rares. Cheers!
Unlimited collector! Please pm me if you have any BGS 9.5 or very good-looking ungraded cards to trade or sell!

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

Post by jamesbond » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi guys !

I'm actually thinking about selling my partial Summer Magic Set.

Let me know if you're looking for something.

Raphael

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:07 am

Hey Matt,

Great snag on the Dop. I have not seen that pop up in the many years I have been watching/collecting Summer. I trust it is as nice looking as many of the others ABU has up for grabs.

Hi Raphael,

I have put my Summer collecting on hold for a bit (actually just got the remainder of my set BGS graded other than a handful). So not looking for any more at this moment. May be moving a few pieces here and there like yourself at some point. But maybe Matt may hit you up for some, or any of our other die-hard Edgar fans reading this thread. In any case good luck with your own sales.

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:01 am

Anyone else a little twitchy about the sudden tremendous availability of Summer stuff on eBay? Something kinda close to two complete sets all of a sudden available all at once? Does anyone know the provenance of the icarus set or the abu stuff?
- magicmisprints

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:45 am

There isn't any more Summer than before, it's just that, to answer your question, since DC grabbed a consignment and decided to show them all at the same time instead of doing this slowly, some people started to panick and decided to get rid of their cards. Once everything is sold and gone into new collectors' hands, I believe all this will stabilize (this might take a few years though). And to be honest, even if there were more Summer than believed to in the first place, it would still be extremely rare. Basic lands seem to pop up a lot and also some commons here and there, but for some particular cards (Shivan, Doppelganger, Birds, even some uncommons, etc), can we say we've seen a lot of them in the last years? Personally I haven't and I've been following what's going on with Summer very closely. Just my 2 cents.

Matt
Unlimited collector! Please pm me if you have any BGS 9.5 or very good-looking ungraded cards to trade or sell!

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:28 pm

My worries aren't over distribution - I've known since 98 that certain cards had been preferentially saved by the people who actually executed the reclamation project for Wizards. Certain cards that should have been destroyed were saved in multiples. I'm more concerned about counterfeits than literally anything else. When a merchant suddenly has a complete or even a close partial set, I'm just hoping to hear it was sold to/consigned with that merchant by someone who's been known for years to have one rather than someone no one's ever heard of with suuuper rare cards that might as well have dropped from the sky.
- magicmisprints

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:11 pm

magicmisprints wrote:My worries aren't over distribution - I've known since 98 that certain cards had been preferentially saved by the people who actually executed the reclamation project for Wizards. Certain cards that should have been destroyed were saved in multiples. I'm more concerned about counterfeits than literally anything else. When a merchant suddenly has a complete or even a close partial set, I'm just hoping to hear it was sold to/consigned with that merchant by someone who's been known for years to have one rather than someone no one's ever heard of with suuuper rare cards that might as well have dropped from the sky.
Hi

According to verified sources:
At least 10 Complete sets are known to exist, sealed Summer booster boxes as well but the number is not known.
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/733-rar ... index.html
That subsection is regularly updated as soon as I have info.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:39 am

Did anyone contact ABU to get info on how that collction came to them?

Matt, you said you bought a Doppelganger off them before the eBay listings were posted. did they provide provenance info?

AlcesAlces

Post by AlcesAlces » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Does ABU (or any other store) check the cards before they sell them to verify they are genuine? I would have thought they do to cover themselves, even given solid provenance, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:24 am

AlcesAlces wrote:Does ABU (or any other store) check the cards before they sell them to verify they are genuine? I would have thought they do to cover themselves, even given solid provenance, but maybe I'm wrong.
That is what I would think. Especially of such a reputable store like ABU. For sure they must have verified authenticity... one would think. However based on how those sales ended perhaps the vast size of the the collection all for sale at the same time non-graded sent too many alarm bells for buyers. Hell even I was considering jumping back in that pool (especially with my eyes on those duals at those prices). But I have to admit I was worried too.

That set really should get sent for grading and relisted slowly if seller is really intent on moving it. Those would then be some auctions I would enjoy watching \:D/

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:12 am

Any card verification is only as good as the person doing it.
Some people do get fooled by fakes.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:05 am

Hi All

I really don't understand that sudden scepticism about the Summer cards offered by ABU, thousands have been sold on here, Ebay, FB groups, others MTG shops, etc... and never questions about authenticity arise. I'm interested to know why. Did someone close to Gabriel B Wilson (Owner of ABU) contacted him about where that collection came from ? Same applies for the Full set offered on Ebay right now (Preston Cordy/Carhaus)
matts46570 wrote:There isn't any more Summer than before
I disagree with that, much more are available for different reasons:
Common knowledge about them
Full internet
Multiplication of MTG groups, websites, shops, etc...
"Huge" amount that came out of the closets ( A lot are still hidden or not offered yet)
Amazing rise in demands and prices
More private sales as more owners want to remain anonymous.
Etc...
matts46570 wrote:a consignment and decided to show them all at the same time instead of doing this slowly, some people started to panick and decided to get rid of their cards.
Let's be fair with that statement, only a small part was shown. The price that they were offered was much less than normal, and of course Investor/Speculator/Owner of Summer cards were really unhappy. Manipulation of the market in MTG is a reality, in so many ways especially nowdays.

On another note. I have a question about Graded cards, as I don't collect them or have any or knowledge about them:

Grading: BGS for example have graded NFC cards, and doesn't label them as so. Certified Autograph Cards doesn't have authenticated signature

PSA: According to this, they doesn't do it and autograph passes PSA/DNA authentication.
http://www.psacard.com/resources/gradin ... rds/#cards

Not mentioning that both companies on few occasions have graded fake cards, fake autographs, but that's another story.

Can someone explain those totally opposite way of grading ?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:29 am

Hi Paul,

To answer your question, Gabe didn't provide the provenance. I didn't think about asking him, but for the people out there afraid of those cards being counterfeit, I'm pretty sure Gabe made sure they weren't before buying them. As Paul said, ABU has a solid reputation and wouldn't risk making money with fake cards. I'm not afraid at all. I haven't received the Dop, but I will send it to Beckett as soon as I do.

Matt

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:14 am

Hi Matt,

You should post it when you get it back. I'd love to know what it gets... And love to actually see a real photo of a Summer Dop finally (the one on ABU site is so small). I'm sure with those deeper blues it will look gorgeous!