Alpha booster box

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Alpha booster box

Post by Alifromcairo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:53 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Box-/2013 ... 2edfd9aab3

13 Hours remaining...

Have not seen one for a while ! :-O

No recent feedback, selling for a friend.
Visit the Shores of Imagination

Jmaschme
Librarities Member

Post by Jmaschme » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:08 pm

that can't be real

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:07 pm

Jmaschme wrote:that can't be real
Do you mean it's unlikely to be real or can you see something fishy that proves it fake?

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:47 pm

I'm pretty sure Jon means it's fake. And actually, it is fake, because these pictures have been seen over and over again for some years now. The best thing everybody could do is to report the item as fraudulent.
Unlimited collector! Please pm me if you have any BGS 9.5 or very good-looking ungraded cards to trade or sell!

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:03 pm

I wouldn't bid on it either. In this case, "selling for a friend" is suspicious and one booster is placed wrong in the box.
But this doesn't mean (for me at least) it can't be real in no case. I'm interested how this can be seen from the pictures.

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Look at the 4th picture of the listing, and look at this image that can easily be found on Google: https://www.google.ca/search?

http://goo.gl/F7Ebkr

What I heard about this is that it's a guy who contacts people to sell the box for him, telling them he will give them commission depending on the price it sells for. Obviously the seller doesn't see anything wrong with this, but then once the buyer realizes he's been screwed, he comes back against the seller who can't do anything about the case, and the scammer just repeats the scam with somebody else, always avoiding problems with law and making money easily. A Beta box was sold last week or so with the same exact pictures. Seems like people are naive enough to buy that. When it's too good to be true, it's because it normally is.
Unlimited collector! Please pm me if you have any BGS 9.5 or very good-looking ungraded cards to trade or sell!

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks, I once came across a youtube video where victims of this type of ebay scamming were interviewed. The sellers were sometimes threatened by the (understandably) angry buyers. One simply shouldn't sell anything expensive for someone else...

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:42 am

I always figured this was a scam of some sort but I wondered how they got away with it, and now I know, cheers.