Alpha and Beta starter deck auction

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Alpha and Beta starter deck auction

Post by berkumps » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:54 pm

The alpha deck has outer wrapper missing, with Shivan Dragon showing on top. I'm sure the seller knows there's likely an Island underneath, which is why it is:

a) missing outer wrapper
b) for sale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-the-gathe ... 3f1c61652f

I hope the bidder is satisfied with what might be in the beta deck :-\'

for reference:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... alpha+rare

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Is that who I think it is in that picture? I wonder how long ago this picture was taken...

Sure wish the rest of the sheet was showing

One thing I have always wondered is if the A and B were the same layout except that the Volcanic Island was inserted in a land spot. Was there a possible "shuffle" with the addition of the VI?

Anyone know?

Gary
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:58 pm

That's Mark Rosewater from one of his weekly articles where he gave a photo tour of WotC.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:03 pm

OK that seems about right. Last time I saw him he was about my size (then). Seems like age and gravity really mess us up.... LOL.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

kidicarus2000
Librarities Member

Post by kidicarus2000 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:31 pm

There are a few videos online of people opening Alpha starters. There was one I saw that had the same print run as Beta, meaning you could tell what was behind the first rare. But the second one, which if I remember correctly was a video of someone opening an Alpha starter at a tournament years ago, had a different run than Alpha.

When researching, I couldn't find enough examples to say if the one that was different was a fluke. Maybe at some point someone will open another one on camera and we'll have more information to go from.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:38 am

kidicarus2000 wrote:There are a few videos online of people opening Alpha starters. There was one I saw that had the same print run as Beta, meaning you could tell what was behind the first rare. But the second one, which if I remember correctly was a video of someone opening an Alpha starter at a tournament years ago, had a different run than Alpha.

When researching, I couldn't find enough examples to say if the one that was different was a fluke. Maybe at some point someone will open another one on camera and we'll have more information to go from.
Not really. I have mentioned a couple times that you can not hold packaging to the locations on the sheet. This would only have been true when all was going smoothly, presses running right, ink flowing correctly, etc and most importantly nobody taking a handful of something out of a bin to check quality control. There was absolutely 0 interest in having any consistency in card locations except that R,C, and U should be in the right place with lots of lands thrown in. It was not important then -- and probably still isn't.

Gary
Gary Adkison

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 am

mystical_tutor wrote:There was absolutely 0 interest in having any consistency in card locations except that R,C, and U should be in the right place with lots of lands thrown in. It was not important then -- and probably still isn't.
I would bet the opposite is more important now, to prevent the mapping of boxes

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:10 pm

It is interesting to speculate though. 5 top dollar cards are in the same row and if you had an Emerald on top there should be a Underground Sea under it and if you had the US on top there should be a Time Walk under it. If you had a BL on top there should be an Emerald under it.

I opened a Contract from below deck but it did NOT have a Ruby under it..sigh.

Gary
Gary Adkison

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:23 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:It is interesting to speculate though. 5 top dollar cards are in the same row and if you had an Emerald on top there should be a Underground Sea under it and if you had the US on top there should be a Time Walk under it. If you had a BL on top there should be an Emerald under it.

I opened a Contract from below deck but it did NOT have a Ruby under it..sigh.

Gary
But what did you have under your contract ?

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 am

Was the deck you opened alpha or beta? Every beta starter I've seen opened has followed the print sheet map. However, I have only seen precious few beta starters opened...

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:28 pm

It was Alpha and I can not remember for sure but it seems that it was a Web or Kudzu (it was green I do remember).

I'm not saying that the sequence on the sheet does not work. I'm saying "don't bank on it and don't be upset when it doesn't".

Gary

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:15 am

Will you people please stop opening Alpha and Beta starters!

At least until I can secure a few for my collection!

I wish I had been around for Alpha and Beta, or even Unlimited. I even wish I had picked up the Antiquities and other older boosters for £25 back in the mid 90s but that was too rich for me even then.

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:23 am

mystical_tutor wrote:I'm not saying that the sequence on the sheet does not work. I'm saying "don't bank on it and don't be upset when it doesn't".
I definitely don't disagree with that, especially for Alpha. As I mentioned, I have only seen a few beta starters opened (and even fewer Alpha) so my experience is extremely limited, which is why I ask.