Selling Summer Magic (Edgar), P3K & Original Duals on eB

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Thu May 31, 2012 2:00 am

All this talk of spouses, kids, others, etc. not knowing the value of - or not appreciating - mtg (or other) collectibles makes me wonder just what is going to happen to all the rarities out there when their owners pass away. I can only imagine how many incredible collections may end up stuffed in a closet for decades and ultimately thrown out.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Thu May 31, 2012 5:02 am

Keevy Bogsbury wrote:All this talk of spouses, kids, others, etc. not knowing the value of - or not appreciating - mtg (or other) collectibles makes me wonder just what is going to happen to all the rarities out there when their owners pass away. I can only imagine how many incredible collections may end up stuffed in a closet for decades and ultimately thrown out.
That's why you have to leave instructions in your will and only then explain to your spouse/significant other about all the money you spent over the years secretly building your awesome collection (aka their retirement fund) :wink:

Or simply write "Don't sell all my games and comics at a garage sale!!!" :-D

Default User
Librarities Hero

Collection protection

Post by Default User » Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 am

This thread prompted me to finally start an index of where in my collection the bigger money is for my wife and kids. Starting that felt a bit morbid, but having seen hapless sellers nearly giving out collections, protecting the money invested seemed prudent.

It turns out to be useful for insurance also. It also never stops amazing me how much some of the cards have increased in value during the last 18 years.

I had also been slowly putting a Perfect Fit-sleeve on some of the harder to find or just expensive legacy, vintage and promotional cards, with a flexible cut-off around 15-25 $/card and for any and all minty old cards from my older sets. Beginning of this week I counted I need another 85 packs of the sleeves... and the time to sleeve all those cards.
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

i_set_fire
Librarities Hero

Re: Collection protection

Post by i_set_fire » Thu May 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Default User wrote:Beginning of this week I counted I need another 85 packs of the sleeves... and the time to sleeve all those cards.
That's a good problem to have :-D

I was worried about my cards ending up in a rummage sale or sold to a scamming dealer, but also worried about the mrs knowing what I paid for them. My solution was to put a list of the contents and approximate current value in the safe deposit box. I also included the names and current contact info of a few players and dealers who I trust and would be able to provide the mrs with accurate pricing. Hmmm I should include this sites address too :-D

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu May 31, 2012 6:58 pm

wait, why wouldn't you be burried with your treasure?

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:18 pm

dry cereal wrote:wait, why wouldn't you be burried with your treasure?
... like the pharohs of old :-P

The size of your pyramid could indicate just how big your... collection was :-D

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:04 pm

dry cereal wrote:wait, why wouldn't you be burried with your treasure?
lol :-D

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:26 am

FYI My OP has been edited to state that Graded cards in link have been reduced in prices. I also have another set of Revised and Ravnica Dual Lands up so good luck if you bid.

Remember I am always open to private deals with people from these boards. I still have a few more duals and could put together good deals if requested.

Thanks
Paul