Sealed Alpha Starter Box

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Sealed Alpha Starter Box

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:26 pm

First off, I feel like I've been posting a lot of new topics lately, so if this is over-posting or spam I apologize (feel free to let me know if so).

Anyway, I'm not sure of anyone else has seen this yet but it appears an entire box of sealed Alpha starter decks was put up and then sold on the same day. The BIN price was $10,000, which seems rather low for an entire sealed starter box of Alpha (the seller appears to be aware of this). I'd be really suspicious except that the seller has a lot of feedback and consistently sells high value stuff (jewelry) and has been a member since 2004.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPHA-STARTER-B ... 256aaaa237

Just curious what others' thoughts are on this?

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Its likely one of the new scams going down. I contact you about selling an item for me because you have good feedback. You split the money from the sale with me after I send the item out and provide you a tracking number. I go on a shopping spree while you deal with the charge back because I sent the buyer a brick instead of the expensive item you sold on ebay.

If you don't know the seller, you buy this sorta thing in person. A plane ticket isn't really that expensive when talking about the price of this sorta item... of course you'd want more proof that it was being sold then just some stock photo that can be found using google.

i_set_fire
Librarities Hero

Post by i_set_fire » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:53 pm

I thought that you can't tell if a starter is alpha or beta unless you look at the barcode on the starters themselves (alpha doesn't have one, beta does). So this could be alpha or beta, right?

Wrong! It's nothing but a future paypal claim!

Seems like a hacked account or the above idea. either way if something is too good to be true, then it probably ain't true.

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Out of curiosity, I contacted the seller to see what he had to say about it and here was his response:

"I have a client with 6 more of these, he is a very wealthy man and one thing for sure is that, the Rolex I sold for him was very real as was the 2.3ct diamond. I have no idea where he gets them though, I am not even sure what the hell these things are quite frankly."

So yeah, I think you guys are spot on with it being a scam.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:17 pm

The auction picture looks like your typical Troll and Toad picture. Whenever I see a TnT picture in an auction, I automatically assume scam/fraud.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:13 pm

caquaa wrote:Its likely one of the new scams going down. I contact you about selling an item for me because you have good feedback. You split the money from the sale with me after I send the item out and provide you a tracking number. I go on a shopping spree while you deal with the charge back because I sent the buyer a brick instead of the expensive item you sold on ebay.

If you don't know the seller, you buy this sorta thing in person. A plane ticket isn't really that expensive when talking about the price of this sorta item... of course you'd want more proof that it was being sold then just some stock photo that can be found using google.
Your story seems so scary... but so true.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Someone who has 6 of those knows the value, and would never resell them at that price.

Besides, the seller would not end the auction before he knows how much he can get out of the box. At least for future reference, since there are 6 of them...

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:26 am

i_set_fire wrote:I thought that you can't tell if a starter is alpha or beta unless you look at the barcode on the starters themselves (alpha doesn't have one, beta does). So this could be alpha or beta, right?
If someone finds a way to tell, I'd sure like to know so I'd know what mine is.

This may well be Alpha though because the shrinkwrap does not look original--at least it doesn't look like mine, and I know it is original.

Having said that, let me put the other foot down. Peter once told me that the very first ones had a box problem where the box was too small for the flap to fit and hold, one reason they were shrink wrapped. None of mine have the flap folded under like this one though.

Bottom line for me is. It just doesn't look right.

Gary

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:52 am

Fake. Someone on MOTL bought a Beta set once that was advertised like this. I think he wired money or something foolish like that, and the seller sent him an envelope full of sheets of paper with tracking.