Message to an eBay seller...

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

What do you think of my message to the seller?

Too harsh. You should relax, man.
9%
I could not have handled it better.
55%
You should have torn him a new one. Too weak!
18%
Hey I sold you that card!
18%
No opinion
No votes

Total votes: 11

Magik321
Legendary Infernal Contract Collector

Post by Magik321 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Neg him. The item value is fairly small so I dont think fighting for a couple of bucks is a good use of your time and effort. Leave him 1s for the DSRs if possible as well.
IMO Mint means Mint! ... Pack fresh, barely handled just as a new born card should be. I rarely if ever state a Mint grade on my sales items unless they are pack fresh items... and even then I call them NM/Mint.
A good amount of sellers on ebay grade their cards in an extremely sloppy manner, and some are plain out to 'deceive' buyers by grading their cards as Near Mint or Mint when their cards are apparently not up to standard. How can they grade a card as NM when a card is apparently so inked that I could see it while the card is sleeved, and a good amount of wear on the back, which the seller has probably conveniently not scanned.

Even if the seller has a no return policy, if you file a not as described claim, paypal/ebay could still ask you to send the card back and they will issue you a refund.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Magik321 wrote:Neg him.......

A good amount of sellers on ebay grade their cards in an extremely sloppy manner, and some are plain out to 'deceive' buyers....
Just to put the shoe on the other foot for a min (please do NOT take this as any kind of defense for bad grading or deception).

One needs to check to make sure the seller has not put a "grading system" in his add that lets him slip buy with something that would not meet OUR approval.

Even many on line stores hedge the NM catagory to be safe:

"only very minor wear"--Blackborder
"minimal to no wear from shuffling or general play. A card graded in Near Mint/Mint condition is generally indistinguishable from cards in an unsleeved deck of other Near Mint/Mint cards. Foils in this category have little or no scuffing or clouding"--StarCity Games

Troll and Toad had the most comprehensive definitions of grading and NM only allowed for one or maybe two minor flaws or a ding.

"Pack Fresh" is not a term they use......LOL.

Some boards I could not find a grading list on....... Maybe I'm just not smart enough.

The point of this post is: Buyer beware......

Gary

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Gary, Troll and Toad is a really cool store to deal with IN PERSON, but if you are expecting a card in any sort of condition in the mail, it is hard to predict what you will get.
My friend ordered a card that was NM and it arrived with a piece of food (hopefully it was food) stuck to it. :-D

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:20 pm

yawg07 wrote:Gary, Troll and Toad is a really cool store to deal with IN PERSON, but if you are expecting a card in any sort of condition in the mail, it is hard to predict what you will get.
My friend ordered a card that was NM and it arrived with a piece of food (hopefully it was food) stuck to it. :-D
Actually the cards printed at CM have a coating that will allow washing the card. Depending on the food type you may be able to safely remove it.

HAY! Just kidding. I have dealt a LOT with T$T. Early on I had to return a few cards that did not meet their grading standards.

Lately I have gotten good results (again within the standards of their grading guide). I use the comments block on each order and mention that it is for a collection (if it is) and request the best one they have. Not sure, of course, but it appears that someone reads that and does their best to send a nice card.

My expeience has not been that good with other on line stores except Cardhaus.

In the case of Cardhaus, send a post to Tap4Black. As a collector he will make sure you get what your looking for or let you know that he doesn't have what you want.

Gary

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:52 am

I sell a number of things on eBay. If a customer wants to return the card (or item) for a full refund, then the customer always sends back the item first. And then I give a full refund.

I have been asked for a refund a couple times (maybe 5 out of 900+ transaction), the customer sent the item back and got their refund with no problem.

If I think the customer was in the wrong, I then ban him/her from further bidding on my items.

If I think I blew it, I mention their patience and that it was my issue int h positive feedback I give them.

But I would not give a refund to someone without the item being sent back first.

-- If the seller has a solid amount of positive feedback and does a reasonable amount of sales, then there shouldn't be too much trouble in sending the card back.

Heck, if this is a card valued less than $20.00 then why is this even a real discussion. It is only a $5.00 card in this case. (Unless I am guess on the price incorrectly.)

Best regards,

Rainsford