BB Underground Sea Artist Proof

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Magik321
Legendary Infernal Contract Collector

BB Underground Sea Artist Proof

Post by Magik321 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:59 am

Does the art on the back look legit to do done by Alexander himself? Person selling it is known to do card alterations. Reason I asked this was that he supposely have a Black Lotus proof, its unsigned and sketched on the back. Also it does'nt have square corners. Does'nt really look legit to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTG-Magic-altered-a ... dZViewItem

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: BB Underground Sea Artist Proof

Post by dragsamou » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 am

Magik321 wrote:Does the art on the back look legit to do done by Alexander himself? Person selling it is known to do card alterations.

I have to admit that I'm Extremely surprised as while Rob was in my place, he has done a lot of sketches on my Artist Proof, and I bought others, but Always in Black&White.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Magik321

Post by Magik321 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 am

dragsamou wrote:
Magik321 wrote:Does the art on the back look legit to do done by Alexander himself? Person selling it is known to do card alterations.

I have to admit that I'm Extremely surprised as while Rob was in my place, he has done a lot of sketches on my Artist Proof, and I bought others, but Always in Black&White.
Thats what I thought so. Does the artwork look legit? His Black Lotus proof does'nt have square corners, and unsigned yet it supposely have a sketch that Rush had done.

The Taiga proof he is selling however, does look like a certain sketch he did on one of my APs (he used pencil on mine), and has a 'A 07' initial on the sketch on the back of the Taiga.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 am

Magik321 wrote:
dragsamou wrote:

Thats what I thought so. Does the artwork look legit? His Black Lotus proof does'nt have square corners, and unsigned yet it supposely have a sketch that Rush had done.

The Taiga proof he is selling however, does look like a certain sketch he did on one of my APs (he used pencil on mine), and has a 'A 07' initial on the sketch on the back of the Taiga.
Waow....That was quick:
The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

magicdude

Post by magicdude » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:08 am

Magik321 wrote:
dragsamou wrote:

The Taiga and the Underground Sea are the only cards for which he claims the artist made the custom art ("amazing custom art made by Rob Alexander himself"). The other cards do NOT have this claim ("custom artwork making for an amazing one of a kind card" (or something similar)).

Also you should compare the "Black Lotus" lettering on the back of the Black Lotus (card by Christoper Rush) with the "Island" lettering on the back of the Unhinged Island (card by John Avon). Both cards were done by different artists, but the lettering on the back is VERY similar. Therefor I think that all artwork on the reverse was done by 1 person, who was NOT the artist who did the (Magic) card picture on the front (except for the Underground Sea and the Taiga, for which the seller claims they were done by the artist).

Magik321

Post by Magik321 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Heres the back of a badlands when I asked. I find the Island artist proof sketchy as well. The seller is someone who alters cards, he might have altered the back of a normal card, which was already signed by Avon and pass it off as a proof. For the dual lands, I do see the A07 on the back. I've never owned any proofs where Alaxander did coloured sketches, anyone can confirm whether the beta proofs are legit?

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm

hard to tell.... considering they colored in the entire back. It could very well be just CE.

IF you are looking for one my altered AP is still avaliable. :wink:

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:22 pm

The Crush BL looks kinda suspect to me. I don't see a signature on it (even when blown up) but I may have missed it. Don't recall Chris doing anything and not signing it.

Sent the link to Chris and a copy of the picture from eb.

Sent Rob the link.

Sometimes this board reminds me of the accounts of Greek Philosophers that would sit around and philosophize on how many teeth a horse had but would never go out and look in the mouth of one.

Gary

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:06 am

Well here are the responses..

*************From Rob**************

Gary,

Nice to hear from you again, and thanks for keeping me in the loop on this.

I will double check my memory banks, as it were, but I think Alexis has it right - I do not recall doing any colour sketches on proofs for folks. Pencil, sharpie, but no colour. Nor does that look even remotely like my style on the card.

Most likely, it is a fake. I notice it is no longer on Ebay, not sure if they removed it, or the auction is over.

I will let you know for sure early next week, but I am about 98% sure now that it's not mine.

Take care,

Rob

************And from Chris************

Hi Gary,
That is NOT my art. It's not even similar to any altered card art I have ever done, and the hand writing at the top is nothing like mine. Also, had I done it, I would have signed it.
Chris

Glad to hear that it has been removed. Hope the seller realized that he isn't dealing with a bunch of dummies out here. I think special thanks should go to Magik321 for picking up on it and bringing it to the board..

Gary

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:11 am

mystical_tutor wrote:Well here are the responses..

*************From Rob**************

Gary,

Nice to hear from you again, and thanks for keeping me in the loop on this.

I will double check my memory banks, as it were, but I think Alexis has it right - I do not recall doing any colour sketches on proofs for folks. Pencil, sharpie, but no colour. Nor does that look even remotely like my style on the card.

Most likely, it is a fake. I notice it is no longer on Ebay, not sure if they removed it, or the auction is over.

I will let you know for sure early next week, but I am about 98% sure now that it's not mine.

Take care,

Rob

************And from Chris************

Hi Gary,
That is NOT my art. It's not even similar to any altered card art I have ever done, and the hand writing at the top is nothing like mine. Also, had I done it, I would have signed it.
Chris

Glad to hear that it has been removed. Hope the seller realized that he isn't dealing with a bunch of dummies out here. I think special thanks should go to Magik321 for picking up on it and bringing it to the board..

Gary
Hi Gary
Looks like we have a busted Ebay seller :-\'
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:32 am

dragsamou wrote: Hi Gary
That would be my hope but I have my doubts. When I tried to get that same public internet auction to do something about counterfeit Honma golf clubs all I got was garbage about it being the buyers responsibility to make sure they were getting what they thought they were.
I mean we are talking about some hard cash here.

My take away feeling was they didn't want to miss out on a nice chunk of change for their commission.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

me-and_we
Librarities Legend

Post by me-and_we » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:44 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
dragsamou wrote: Hi Gary
That would be my hope but I have my doubts. When I tried to get that same public internet auction to do something about counterfeit Honma golf clubs all I got was garbage about it being the buyers responsibility to make sure they were getting what they thought they were.
I mean we are talking about some hard cash here.

My take away feeling was they didn't want to miss out on a nice chunk of change for their commission.
I'm not dealing on feebay anymore, but wtf? they didn't really say that? I cannot even think of any corrupt country where this is written law...

Since a woman took over that company, it is becoming more and more non-understandable for me. not that I got a problem with femal CEOs, I just don't get behind their thinking... It's so unrational pissing everyone off when making good money.

But anyways, I know thjis was discussed a million times and this is off topic, so whatever.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:46 pm

me-and_we wrote:..they didn't really say that? I cannot even think of any corrupt country where this is written law...
My apologizes. I was speaking conceptually. That is not a direct quote from them, it was the "bottom line" for the action they took {read: did not take}. It was all covered with flowers and perfume in their correspondence.

This took place some time ago and before the new CEO.

Sorry, I did not state that very clearly and I didn't mean to put words in anyones mouth.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Can that really be Roy Spires, aka Random-Miser the Troll of Beyond Dominia? (Anyone remember him?) I haven't heard from him in years. He must be at least 17 by now.

I agree that looks nothing like the style I've seen Rob Alexander do for sketches.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:21 pm

gzeiger wrote:Can that really be Roy Spires, aka Random-Miser the Troll of Beyond Dominia? (Anyone remember him?) I haven't heard from him in years. He must be at least 17 by now.

I agree that looks nothing like the style I've seen Rob Alexander do for sketches.
The Troll of Beyond Dominia is back ](*,)
http://cgi.ebay.com/MTG-Magic-altered-a ... 1|294%3A50
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.