Self Promotion on Ebay Reports

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Self Promotion on Ebay Reports

Post by dragsamou » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:32 am

Hi Members.
As I really do not feel having Brand New Members just coming on the Website just to promote theirs Ebays auctions, this part will be Only available to Magiclibrarities Legends and assimilate Members. Why is that:
Every Members on this Website have access to Ebay.
Basically Every Promos or Rarities are already spotted by Members.
The principle of a Community is Members offering what they have on this Forum, based on the thrust that we have in each others, etc...If they do want to make money, and I totally respect that Ebay is your friend with the Fees and eventual problems that can go with it. As a reminder, few Polls was organized about that few times ago:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=2954
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=2958
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=2959
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=2960
I remind that posting auctions from Ebay as Berkumps was doing is fine Only Self Promotion is involved for Members. As usual ,I would like to hear your comments, and if a Poll needs to be done again, no problems. I just express my feeling about what I believe can be good for the Website.
But, progress can Only be made, if Members are participating in these kinds of Topics.As usual, if you do have any questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by dragsamou on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Ebay selfpromotion

Post by equi-nox76 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:08 am

Hi Alexis,

I think that only own auctions should be promoted for older rarities that are not every day on Ebay (so hard to find stuff), misprints of course and expensive standard cards or sets (like the Beta set) that are interesting for other members.

The MPS Mountains for example are not that interesting, because they will be available for little money in some month (or weeks). In my opinion just a try to get as much money as possible for cards that are not rare at all, but I could be wrong :-P

Chris

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Ebay selfpromotion

Post by dragsamou » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:23 am

equi-nox76 wrote:Hi Alexis,

I think that only own auctions should be promoted for older rarities that are not every day on Ebay (so hard to find stuff), misprints of course and expensive standard cards or sets (like the Beta set) that are interesting for other members.

The MPS Mountains for example are not that interesting, because they will be available for little money in some month (or weeks). In my opinion just a try to get as much money as possible for cards that are not rare at all, but I could be wrong :-P

Chris
Hi Chris.
I agree with you as well as Members,that was the point of Poll 3 with a 95% agreement on that fact.I will modify the Text of the Ebay report in consequence and as soon as most of the Members will read my announcement :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hortar
Librarities Hero

Post by hortar » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:08 pm

I agree with Chris,

The Ebay reports are important to the members (like me) that don't have normal access to some of the older rarities. So Ebay, and the help of some fantastic users that this forum have, it's the only way to tracking those rarities.
I talk to myself, this Ebay reports have been very useful on the past months, but I also agree with Alexis, when he says that this part will be Only available to Magiclibrarities Legends and assimilate Members. If anyone starts using the forum to promote theirs auctions, all of this section loose is focus.

P.S. - Chris, thanks to you I have receive the APAC card (you know what I'm talking about LOL) once again thanks to you and thanks to your Ebay search skills :-) Fantastic card in fantastic condition
My Projects:
All Portuguese Stuff
20 Beta Rares, Korean Cards,
Limited Editions (Russian, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese)
Japanese Chronicles
Promos

Mr.Wayne
Librarities Hero

Post by Mr.Wayne » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:48 pm

I think that only own auctions should be promoted for.....sets (like the Beta set) that are interesting for other members. The MPS Mountains for example are not that interesting

Chris, thanks to you I have receive the APAC card
Interesting is in the eye of the beholder :)

I thought the MPS mountains were interesting myself, whereas a post of say an Apac card, for example, I may not find so interesting, but apparently someone did. I do agree with the majority in that posts like "Hey, I've got a playset of 10th Wraths" would not belong here, but if they were Japanese and Foil....maybe... :)

As to whom is allowed to post, the poll pertaining to that was all over the place:

Only for Active Members participating in the Forum and Old Members
36% [ 8 ]
Only for Members with 20/100 Posts(Not Spamming)
45% [ 10 ]
For Any Members even Brand new ones
18% [ 4 ]

Personally, if I'm interested in a card, I don't care if it's the owner or whoever that posts it as long as it is brought to my attention. If they are willing to take the time to post it at this site that I frequent and read every single new post on, why should it matter to me if his post is more self oriented than just to help me out? If he didn't have that incentive to post, I might miss out on getting something I'd really like to have....
this part will be Only available to Magiclibrarities Legends and assimilate Members
New as I am, I'm not certain as to what an "assimilate member" is.....

Just my thoughts.......

MRW

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:57 am

I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with the few posts already written here.

I personally agree that self-promotion by established members is certainly the correct way to go.
I very much disagree with the posting of current auctions for regular and semi-rare rarities. If a person truly is a serious collector, then they will already have their own searches for those kind of items. Posting these just causes a semi-bidding war where the wanna-be's inflate the price, because the serious collector will already have determined how much they are willing to pay, and what they expect the auction to sell for. If the seller wants to sell the item higher, then they should have started the opening price higher, or spend the little dime or quarter to better promote it. I have been burned a number of times by the wanna-be's whose only ability to bid, is because it was posted here. It is interesting on various auctions to take a look at the history, and the number of silly bids (and even retracted bids) that occur within hours of a link here - whether by semi-members here, or the ghosts.
If want to talk/discuss about this, fine, but do it after the auction is finished.
In this way, if the wanna-be collectors want to collect a more obscure auction too, then it is their own responsibility to watch Ebay and find it.

Also, while I am typing here, I would like to make a suggestion.

Making decisions on this Site based on member polling contributions is a good thing, I would like to suggest that polls be used, but that a minimum # of members vote before it can be used - otherwise it should be up to purely webmaster discretion (of course, who's discretion can be based on own personal opinion, a couple other peoples, or the result of a poll that did not have the minimum # of members voting.). I think the idea of making (or allowing) some decisions to be made based on the members is a very good and nice idea, but the basis of this needs to be controlled, such as a minimum # of members voting, and perhaps even only members of a certain level. If I wanted to really scue a poll, I could make 25 alias profiles, and they could all vote the same way, to make it falsely appear that the general membership believes the poll should be answered in a certain way.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:06 am

Hi Members.
First thing I do not want this Website to be an Ebay Bis,bookmark it somewhere like I do and to buy or sell on Ebay you do not need to be coming on this Forum.Myself I do not sell on Ebay for years now but I'm just a Buyer,whenever I want to get something that I look for,I go to my All favourites Searches.Also,I would like to come back to the time where Members where offering Promos and Rarities Only to this Forum.Without some Members like Gamingjim or Inca911,etc..I will not be able to own things if they were put on Ebay to have a Fight with the entire World.
So basically,if you intend to become a Member to sell your stuff on Ebay well this time is definately Over.

Then I would like to clarify Few points.

-While I have used Old Topics mentioning Posting,these are Totally Obsolete as Only Magiclibrarities Legends and Assimilate will be able to promote theirs Ebay auctions even if I will prefer that they will be offered on this Forum First like before,but I can perfectly understand that a Magiclibrarities Legends that needs money Urgently or for whatever reasons wants to get The maximum for it.Experience also has told me,that on some occasions less money have been made on Ebay than on this Forum.Assimilate are Members that deserves the Title of Legends but choose to remain Simple Member or Hero,I believe now that the Best way is to keep the title that I was offering you to make things easier.You are a Magiclibrarities Legend,you do not like that Title,well I'm almost positive that you will be still sleeping at night with it.Correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyway this is for the moment a tiny Community and the active Members are just between the 25 and 50 Members.To establish what looks like the community I will clean in a Big way the 592 supposed Members.

What should be posted on the Ebay Reports.
Regular and easy to get Promos or Rarities or low Standard cards should not have their space here on a regular level.When a Magiclibrarities Legend Member self promote his cards as he canno't have only Extreme Rare Rarities,this should be more flexible.I do totally agree with Silver Paladin on few points,once a Rarities is on this Website the prices are suddenly jumping sometimes to an Amazing level,glad that I have bought most of my Rarities collection years ago and before the scans where put on the website otherwise I will not have been able to own so many of them.Lurkers,Ebay bidders are Legions on this forum,but they never participate in any ways,never support financially the website,etc...But always there to snipe or buy Rarities that were mentioned on this Forum.This is a Fact.I also agree with Silver Paladin that before since there was no Ebay Reports or very few,every Members was having a chance to grab some Rarities as others Members and Lurkers did not spot some of them,with the Ebay reports section,this time is over,but it's never too late to get back to that time also.As mentioned in another Topic if a Great Rarities is not bought on Ebay by a Member,well no chance to get the scans for the website.As an example:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=5170
20 Bids Only 2(Maybe a bit more) by Members.Glad that the winner is a Friend of mine,so I know that the scan will be on Magiclibrarities,glad also that I own that card already cause 169$ is not a cheap price,I bought mine for 40/45$ less and there was only 4 bidders as it has not been spotted by everyone.

To finish,time to clean the Members list,explains what advantages you will get beeing a Magiclibrarities Hero or Legends.And do not forget that my Time is Ultra precious as I have to do so many things for the website not mentioning my personal life and taking care of my Own collection.So,basically up to December,I will be overbusy,and there's No way,I could maintain whatever I was doing on a 15/18 hours a day and sleeping only 3 or 4 hours by night,time have passed and I'm no more in my 20's or 30's,but on my way to the 50's :wink:

As usual if you have any comments or any questions,feel free to post or to ask.Alexis.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Ebay Reports

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:06 am

silver.paladin wrote:I very much disagree with the posting of current auctions for regular and semi-rare rarities. If a person truly is a serious collector, then they will already have their own searches for those kind of items. Posting these just causes a semi-bidding war where the wanna-be's inflate the price, because the serious collector will already have determined how much they are willing to pay, and what they expect the auction to sell for. If the seller wants to sell the item higher, then they should have started the opening price higher, or spend the little dime or quarter to better promote it. I have been burned a number of times by the wanna-be's whose only ability to bid, is because it was posted here. It is interesting on various auctions to take a look at the history, and the number of silly bids (and even retracted bids) that occur within hours of a link here - whether by semi-members here, or the ghosts.
If want to talk/discuss about this, fine, but do it after the auction is finished.
In this way, if the wanna-be collectors want to collect a more obscure auction too, then it is their own responsibility to watch Ebay and find it.
I could not say it better!!
dragsamou wrote: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=5170
20 Bids Only 2(Maybe a bit more) by Members.Glad that the winner is a Friend of mine,so I know that the scan will be on Magiclibrarities,glad also that I own that card already cause 169$ is not a cheap price,I bought mine for 40/45$ less and there was only 4 bidders as it has not been spotted by everyone.
I would have bought it for about 100 $, but since it was already too expensive (in my opinion) in the last seconds you can't find me in the bidding list :-\

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:41 pm

I wanted that card too. I don't remember if I placed a bid or not, but it definitely seems to have gotten out of hand.

I really need to get a scanner. I have a couple things that should be on the site that I've just never had an opportunity to get a good picture of.

I've been mostly a lurker, occasionally contributing, for some years, but you have to understand that not all the lurkers are enemies. Some of us simply don't have the information available to contribute just because the website is already maintained at such a high level. Most of what there is to know about Magic rarities, aside from one-time misprints, is already here, and for most of us we don't have the inside connections or money to be a big-shot.

I do like seeing the Ebay links, even though I see most of the auctions through saved searches on that site anyway. The reason is that enough of those threads turn into interesting discussions to make them worth reading even when they are blatant self-promotion. I do agree with limiting new registration access though.