Idea: Search feature?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Idea: Search feature?

Post by flatmatt » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:05 am

Occasionally, I'm trying to find a promo, but can't remember where it came from, or, for that matter, where it would be on this site.  Perhaps there could be a search feature added to the site so people can quickly find out what card they have just acquired (or might want to trade for) and where it came from.  I don't know how easy this would be to do, but it would help quite a bit.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Re: Idea: Search feature?

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:59 am

The idea is good, but I have no idea how to implement this feature. I guess it will require a lot of learning in my part which definitely places it further down on my to-do list.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:18 am

Easy, just use Google.

The site seems to be fully indexed, so enter your search terms (card name, or whatever) and then append site:magiclibrary.net in the search field.

Here is a search for one such card, for example:
http://www.google.com/search?q=windseek ... ibrary.net

P.S. for Ralph: you can add a free Google search box to the site - http://www.google.com/searchcode.html#both
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:37 am

That sounds like a good, quick way to do it. :)

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:58 am

motorcitymagic: :o :o :o I was not aware this is possible. I will still try to add an in-built seach engine some time in the future, but for now, this is an excellent solution.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:30 pm

Well, a search function is best in mysql written in php
I know a little php and can make a little script
cause it only has to be simple for this site, not advanced or anything.
But the main question is, do you have sql on this site???

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Post by victorcamp » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:50 pm

I developed a fully database driven version of Bob's original Magic Rarities site for testing purposes, but because it was done just as the site was changing hands, it was never implemented beyond the test site. Both Bob and Ralph reviewed and critiqued it, but it got put on hold indefinitely. The site still exists, and I reference it in my resume as an example of my PHP and mySQL work, though, of course, it hasn't been updated in a year.

Adapting a new version with just a search feature would be "relatively" simple, though the test site didn't include it since its initial purpose was to just duplicate the existing functionality. Depending on the server technology of Ralph's host, I could do it with either PHP over mySQL or ASP over SQL Server or Oracle.

My offer of assistance still stands, though Ralph and I have not as yet revisited that discussion. What with Ralph's huge to-do list, and my recent new job after two years of unemployment in the computer field (damn economy), it's not very high on either of our lists. It's something I would enjoy doing for Magic Rarities.