Holiday Gift Exchange Program

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:27 am

greetings all

the holiday gift exchange is an opportunity to build community among our members. it can also be an opportunity to get free stuff if that is your nature. it is part of the risk of participating in any community. if the possibilty of sending out a gift and not recieving one in return is to much of a risk for you please choose not to participate. i just don't know how we expect to get people to participate more in the community if everytime we have an event we exclude members. i understand that you don't want scammers as members but there must be a better way to deal with negative behavior than by excluding a large portion of the membership who have never done anything wrong.

think about it.

practice peace

tom

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:28 am

i almost forgot. count me in.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:33 am

sk1 wrote:I'm not sure how it's decided who can participate, but I would like to participate this year if that's okay with everyone. If not, that's fine too. If someone can let me know if I'm in, I'd appreciate it.
Hi.
How can we refuse,a Member that will sent "Summer" for the Holiday Gift exchange :wink: :P
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:28 pm

dragsamou wrote:
sk1 wrote:I'm not sure how it's decided who can participate, but I would like to participate this year if that's okay with everyone. If not, that's fine too. If someone can let me know if I'm in, I'd appreciate it.
Hi.
How can we refuse,a Member that will sent "Summer" for the Holiday Gift exchange :wink: :P
:P :P :P :P :P
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

misterpid
Legendary World's Toughest Milkman

Post by misterpid » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:26 pm

I'm in.

Last year's went great for me, I got some fun stuff, and the person I sent cards to loved what they got.
Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.

rick21n
Librarities Legend

Post by rick21n » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:21 am

I'm in again this year. Last year I got great things from a couple of very nice people from SoCal.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:25 am

I participated last year, and would be interested in doing so again this year. Based upon some of the comments, however, I think the "rules" should be more clearly defined.

Last year there was an arbitrary price limit of about $20 US. I both sent and received anonymously (as I thought we were supposed to). Both what I sent and what I received were probably along the lines of that limit. The items I received were nice, and were something I didn't already have. I tried to research what I could about the collecting habits of the person I got. Hopefully he liked what I sent, but the bigger point was that the attempts were made.

I think it important that senders have a clue about their target person. I also think it important that people don't expect the world. Anyone sending out Summer magic rares and expecting to get similar gifts in return is going to be disappointed. The goal should be creativity rather than bottom line eBay value. If some members need to have higher stakes "gifts" then maybe we need to have a couple of different levels.

And I think we should allow newer members to participate. How else do we get them to feel more a part of the community. Perhaps anyone who didn't receive a gift last year can let whomever ran it know. If last year's coordinators have the old pairings, then perhaps only those members who did not contribute last year should be banned this year.

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:26 am

I have a question. How is shipping prices taken care of if everything is sent to one person and then distributed out again?

Also, why can't you just all send gifts to the person running this and the list taken of who sent gifts, and then mix them up and send out randomly to who is on that list?

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:45 am

That's an interesting idea, MagicRumorMill! One problem I see with it, though, is that it'd be hard to target gifts. ie. people probably wouldn't get items on their want list, etc.

A variation of that idea is that someone could act as a go-between, sorta? (perform an escrow service, or something)

Of course, my participation isn't going to be contigent upon any of this. I'm just throwing out ideas ;)

ANALOG_KID
Legendary MTG Art Collector

Post by ANALOG_KID » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:21 am

Excellent question MRM.

Once all the parameters have been set up, we will get all the names and addresses of those wishing to participate.
Those names will be placed on a list of "givers". The same names will also go into a random drawing as "recipients". We will draw (from a proverbial "Magic" hat) a name (recipient place it next to the first name on the "givers" list.
Once that has been completed we will contact you via Library mail to give you the name and address of the "recipient". Shipping will be the "givers" responsibility.

We are reading each and every one of the posts in this corner of the forum, and are taking into account your thought and opinions.
I may contact some of you individually for clarification on some of your questions. If you have questions, concerns or "special circumstances", (quiet down, Drags :lol:), please contact myself or MoonSprite.
the holiday gift exchange is an opportunity to build community among our members
Thanx for the quote mahdishain

It's about fun and being nice to each other.
More later.
Take care.
Analog & MoonSprite