Cached Links

Everything else about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Should we cache links?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 12

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Cached Links

Post by l0qii » Mon May 18, 2009 2:22 pm

We get a lot of dead links in our forum. The most common example is old eBay auctions, but that is not the only example.

I think it would be great if we started saving cached copies of these pages to prevent this from happening. Then when we click on a link it would load the saved copy instead of showing us nothing.

I'm sure we could make this happen, but it would be a significant amount of work. Is it worth doing?

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Tue May 19, 2009 11:18 pm

I think the dead links should be retained. (This shows everyone the linked item is dead/over/moved/ etc.)

It might be okay for a Mod to edit a message with something like:

[NOTE] cached link <HERE>

And have a cached link at HERE. But I am not sure what the benefit-to-time ratio is. I suspect it isn't worth the time.

As an alternate, people who wish to cache a page, store it on their own server, for history sake can do so already. Just add another comment in a topic and post the links to your own cached page.

Best regards,

Rainsford

Jeppe
Librarities Legend

Post by Jeppe » Wed May 20, 2009 8:33 am

As for eBay links, I do think it's enough if someone wrote down the ending bid and the seller's name after the auction has ended, like you did l0qii in the thread about the uncut german Shards sheet.
My cat collection and my Scathe Zombies collection
Do you have cards that I'm looking for? Let me know!

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed May 20, 2009 12:14 pm

Jeppe wrote:As for eBay links, I do think it's enough if someone wrote down the ending bid and the seller's name after the auction has ended, like you did l0qii in the thread about the uncut german Shards sheet.
Maybe that's all that is needed then. I will try to do this going forward. I will not backup images though.