Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Everything else about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:47 am

I don't see the purpose of your post.
This thread seems like one big advertisement is the point...

Edit:
1) This is not my site.
2) There was something about not doing self promotion on this site awhile back (ie: EBay auctions) unless it was rarities/Unique stuff (I think)
Linking an ad to your sig is sort of "self promotion" in promoting your interests (not rarities/unique stuff for sure).
3) Does the site owner get any revenue from the advertisements?
4) This is a really good/clean/Spam free/ site and has been all along. Why mess with that?
5) The site owner should get any revenue generated from ads on his site.
6) I wasn't the person that Pm'd anybody =P~ Never would have but this thread begs the question...
That's all just my opinion but I think they're all rational points.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:56 am

random wrote:
Paypal must change. And only competition will make them change.
I fully agree with you about Paypal but... In order to deal with Paypal you need to deal with Ebay 1st. Anything that "competes" with Paypal is destined to be put on Ebay's s__t list and there lies the real problem imo.
That's true ! I had forgotten that. Many Paypal's competitors could not be advertised on Ebay's auctions descriptions. Ebay must change :-D

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:07 am

Hi Members.
As I am way too busy working on the next update today, I will jump into that topic later on, in between I have quickly shared my point with the Moderators team.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:14 am

random wrote:
I don't see the purpose of your post.
This thread seems like one big advertisement is the point...

Edit:
1) This is not my site.
2) There was something about not doing self promotion on this site awhile back (ie: EBay auctions) unless it was rarities/Unique stuff (I think)
Linking an ad to your sig is sort of "self promotion" in promoting your interests (not rarities/unique stuff for sure).
3) Does the site owner get any revenue from the advertisements?
4) This is a really good/clean/Spam free/ site and has been all along. Why mess with that?
5) The site owner should get any revenue generated from ads on his site.
6) I wasn't the person that Pm'd anybody =P~ Never would have but this thread begs the question...
That's all just my opinion but I think they're all rational points.
I think there is a difference between polluting the delta with tons of self advertising (like on most MTG traders forums) and putting an ad once in awhile for something that could benefit everyone.

As far as my poor memory can remember of, PolarBear is not the kind of guy who tries to make money out of the members of this forum. Besides, this banner will no longer be useful after the 15th of May. So I'm sure Polarbear will replace it for another own-made/home made banner.

I don't see the harm really.

When it comes to the owner of the website who should benefit from this advertisement, he chose so far not to ask any "cash" contribution for the website, so we can guess he is not interested in money making here.
But since this matter is being discussed in the Private section, we should know soon what decision has been taken.

One last thing, that kind of event makes us share a Brainstorm, which is always a good thing for a forum, and that is what a forum is made for.

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Post by PolarBearGod » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:14 am

random wrote:This thread seems like one big advertisement is the point...
If that is all you've viewed this thread as then at some point, most likely the initial post, you missed the purpose of this thread. Allow me to help you out.

There was no rule posted or that I could locate, after thoroughly searching, that would suggest that my signature was inappropriate. I was sent a private message by a member of this forum, stating their dislike of my signature (see first post). Having received this message, I searched again to locate any information that would suggest or say otherwise that my signature was inappropriate. No such information was found. I then proceeded to make a post in the section of the forums I felt the post would best be received, asking if I had violated any rules or done something wrong (see thread title). In the midst of discussing this and awaiting a final answer/verdict, the signature itself was questioned and mixed opinions were presented about it. I engaged in the discussion to explain my purpose and reasoning behind my signature and to make others aware, essentially and primarily those who make the decisions, that my signature was something that I felt was relevant and helpful to some members here.

It's not as if I would place something in my signature for refinancing of home loans of something like that.

random wrote:2) There was something about not doing self promotion on this site awhile back (ie: EBay auctions) unless it was rarities/Unique stuff (I think)
If you're going to question my signature and use the rationality that there's an existing rule that covers my signature, then wouldn't it be best if you at least took the time to familiarize yourself with that rule, locate that rule, and I don't know, maybe even quote said rule? I know that I read over the forum rules to make sure I didn't violate any rules with my signature and as stated by a moderator here, there was no rule set in place.
random wrote:3) Does the site owner get any revenue from the advertisements?

No, the site owner doesn't receive revenue from the sign-ups. If there a rule in place that said such a thing, I would have made payments made to the site owner or not used the signature to begin with.
random wrote:4) This is a really good/clean/Spam free/ site and has been all along. Why mess with that?

A 410px x 100px signature is "messing" with the "good/clean/Spam free" part of this site? I agree this is a good site. I agree this is a clean site. I even agree that the site is a spam free site. I don't think I'm messing with anything.
random wrote:5) The site owner should get any revenue generated from ads on his site.
That's an opinion that has no real relevance to this discussion, unless the owner says that the final ruling on the matter demands that he receives all referral bonuses. Which if that is the way things are to be, I will comply accordingly as stated above.

I'm not here to spam. I like the site or I wouldn't be here obviously.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:56 am

he chose so far not to ask any "cash" contribution for the website, so we can guess he is not interested in money making here.
But is he interested in another entity making money here? That's the question.

PolarBearGod: I think were all mature enough to agree that there are some "unwritten" rules here. Are you crossing the line? If you run an ad then I can run an ad and magic-belgium gets to run an ad and on and on.... Where is the line drawn? Do brand new memebers get to sign up and post in every thread putting ads everywhere? Not that that would ever happen...

Note: Not trying to Troll anybody. Just some (I think) reasons why it maybe a bad idea :wink:

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Post by PolarBearGod » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:05 am

random wrote: But is he interested in another entity making money here? That's the question.
If you can't answer the question at hand and your opinion has already been stated on the matter without offering any new point of view or information, then by all definitions that's about as troll-ish as it gets.

At this point, the matter is in the hands of the moderators and owner. You have stated your opinions as have I. Until something is stated here or elsewhere dictating that my signature is inappropriate, then I'll leave it till the 15th of May.

End of story. 8-|

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:12 am

Yep, otherwise, as we say in French (see, I really like these) :

Searching a flee on an egg. And that is how I feel reading the latest posts with lots of assumptions.

Aren't new laws created because there are new needs in the society ?
Unwritten law, as in England, is case law, which could not be applied here.