Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Everything else about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Post by PolarBearGod » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:05 am

Today I received a message from a user on this forum. I won't state their name, but here it goes...
user wrote:Would you consider changing your signature? part of the joy of this site is that it is a commercial free oasis on the web. your signature comes off as a banner ad.
user wrote:There is a difference between having a link in your signature and having what amounts to a banner ad. it is the same kind of eyecatching annoyance that so many sites bombard you with and which this site has avoided in the past. your signature is the only one that i have noticed in quite some time. i thought you might appreciate being informed that you were violating the spirit of the site. i appreciate your contrabutions to the website.
Essentially, I was unaware that I was violating any forum rules or anything of the like. I read the rules and never came across anything. Still, this isn't my site and I respect the users, owners, and moderators. If I have indeed done something inappropriate, please inform me.

Tnank You,
Richie

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:13 am

I liked the moxes thing better than the ad.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:17 am

I don't believe there is a posted rule anywhere regarding the content of sigs, or I would have said something. However this site does pride itself on being ad free and I can understand how readers could object to someone putting a banner ad in their sig. Your new sig, while still an ad, is at least more relevant to the users here, and has less intrusive colors than the previous red one, but I would recommend keeping sigs text only or using small images.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:42 am

I find it annoying, but I don't really care, since thanks to Firefox and Adblock Plus I can just block it, along with all the avatars and smilies.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:49 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:I find it annoying, but I don't really care, since thanks to Firefox and Adblock Plus I can just block it, along with all the avatars and smilies.
<3 Adblock

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:54 am

I can understand that somebody complains, I think you should change your sig, especially because you benefit of clicks on this banner.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:02 am

I personally don't like the big things.
The think is just to big, as where the Moxes.
Moxes is something magic related and this is something people have a profit from.

Know body of the people that contribute to the homepage for now had personal profits. beside selling trading stuff.

In the link section the online Magic shops links are deactivated, as we mods are not sure yet how to treat these.

I would appreciate it if it was a link and not a banner for the moment. But we will surly discuss it in the near future.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:32 am

I personally thought that the banner was a bit big, but would it show something else than an ad, I would have thought the same.

I was interested in what the banner said though, as I did not know this site.

That being said, and because I like you as a member, and I know that you contribute a lot in the community, I was not so annoyed about the ad.

The new one is blue which is probably nicer for the forum, and the banner is smaller.

I guess that if a new rule must be added, it should allow members to place a banner (with a maximum size) advertising their website. Personally I am always curious and interested by other members' work. But there should be rules in sizes and colours, so that they remain pleasant to read among the posts here.

If I may add a comment on the message you got about this banner, I think this is not nice to send a message like this because bear is a good guy.

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Post by PolarBearGod » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Well, if I'm violating a rule I was unaware of, then let me know. I'm not a spammer. When I had the banner for Yuwie, I added it because it was a social networking site that unlike MySpace and others, gave a small portion of their profits back to the members.

We all socialize to an extent. I have tons of friends on my MySpace and other sites (and no I'm not bragging). I met many of them through forums and sites all across the internet. I felt that social networking sites could be something we could all relate to and I'm quite sure are very popular amongst the majority of people. With that in mind, I didn't see a problem with adding a signature that could link people to signing up there.

My next signature decision was something I came across when looking for PayPal alternatives. I did not know that companies gave money away just for signing up and even offered additional money for referring people. Their fees were significantly less and overall, I liked what I saw. Just as I did with Yuwie, I decided that it might be something people here would be interested in. So many people here deal with one another on a regular basis and that sure seemed like a great way to save on fees. That and it only lasts until May 15th.

My intention was never to annoy anyone or break a written or unwritten rule here. I'm a moderator over at MTGSalvation and they adhere to a pretty strict set of rules and guidelines. I know the importance of them and so I always respect them wherever I go.

I guess what I'm asking for here is an official ruling or status on the signature.

Can I keep it?
If not, does it need to be changed to just a link.
If not that, then what is and isn't considered okay?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I promise. I'm just looking for what the ruling is on this.

Thank you and my sincere apologies to all.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Absolutly no need to apologize, for now there was no need/idea of making a rule, it just came up. We'll try to find a fast answer.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:49 pm

The Revolution Money banner was a good idea, since many members may not read the thread you published awhile ago.

This alternative must be advertised in my opinion, as many of us had troubles with Paypal in the past. Paypal must change. And only competition will make them change.

As long as it can help the community, I see no offense in advertising it.

Now, you're making money out of it ? That's a good thing too. You'll buy more MTG !

To sum up things, a banner may be used if it shows to be helpful to the members here, and if the banner is not too big or ugly.

A world without advertising is not a real world. We do not live on an island.
And on the other hand, too much advertising is unbearable. (ever watched Spanish or Italian TV ? :-) )

Maybe we could add a section dedicated to new services or new websites that we could discuss about or where we could discuss our experience or ask for advice ?

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Post by PolarBearGod » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:04 pm

pp wrote:I can understand that somebody complains, I think you should change your sig, especially because you benefit of clicks on this banner.
I'm not the only person who benefits from this. Whoever signs up receives $25. In addition, when you sign up, they give you a link that allows you to refer others and make $10 per referral. I'm not sure about everyone, but I'm a fan of making money. Money allows me to buy cards and play Magic in sanctioned constructed tournaments. This is something I like doing and I would be under the impression other users like as well.

Now, if I were the only person able to benefit from ths, then I might be persuaded to follow your opinion on this. Regardless, everyone is entitled to an opinion and even though I may disagree with yours, I respect it none the less.
magic-belgium wrote:Maybe we could add a section dedicated to new services or new websites that we could discuss about or where we could discuss our experience or ask for advice ?
That seems reasonable. If the signature is an eye sore to some, I could remove it and just place it in that section. Thus, only people who were interested in such a thing could click there and view it.

I don't know. Whatever you guys deem fit, I will abide by. I appreciate the input from everyone.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:07 am

I'm not the only person who benefits from this. Whoever signs up receives $25. In addition, when you sign up, they give you a link that allows you to refer others and make $10 per referral. I'm not sure about everyone, but I'm a fan of making money. Money allows me to buy cards and play Magic in sanctioned constructed tournaments. This is something I like doing and I would be under the impression other users like as well.
It seems like an add when you're "advertising" :wink:

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:11 am

Paypal must change. And only competition will make them change.
I fully agree with you about Paypal but... In order to deal with Paypal you need to deal with Ebay 1st. Anything that "competes" with Paypal is destined to be put on Ebay's s__t list and there lies the real problem imo.

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Post by PolarBearGod » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:08 am

random wrote:It seems like an add when you're "advertising" :wink:
Ad^

I don't recall where I stated that it wasn't advertising, so I don't see the purpose of your post. I'm a fan of advertising that gives me $25 for roughly less than five minutes of my time and that's it.Image