What was your first Magic combo?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

What was your first Magic combo?

Post by Giediprime41 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:45 am

OK, i like reading about all the "first introductions to Magic" by all the members.
So i figured i'd keep it going. ;)

When reading all the replies i noticed people talking about their first combos, and combos were what got me playing all the time.  ;)

I remember one of my first combos. Dark Ritual, Channel, Fireball, Lightning Bolt.
Or when i got more cards it was. Icy Manipulator, Royal Assassin.
I understand that these are the "cheese" as combos now, but back in the day they were "kings".

If not combos, how about your first cards you played in your deck?
The first cards played in my deck were. Air Elementals, Phantom Monsters, Drudge Skeletons anything i had more than one of.

Well, this has been a nice walk down Magic memory lane.  How about you. ;D
Darren
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Re: What was your first Magic combo?

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:29 am

Hey, this is a different subject to bring up, and good too!

Up here, I was told that I was one of the first to successfully play enemy colors.  I played a Red/White deck, and I dominated all my games, winning 80-90% of the time, and would even normally win multi-player games (6 or more players).

I had a good combo, and my deck was called "Kill Anyone and Everyone"

Essentially, the idea of my deck was to get out the Greater Realm of Preservation, and then cast every Red destruction spell I could. For single player games, that meant normal Red destruction and such, but for multi-player games, I would play Earthquakes, Chain Lightning, Lightning Bolts, Inferno, Lava Burst, Pyroclasm, Fireball, Disintegrate.  Virtually casting anything that would do damage to all creatures and players, and of course I have my GR of P to stop from being damaged.  Plus bonus cards like Beast of Bogardan (Prot from Red) and Rukh Eggs (Inferno would destroy my Ruch Egg, but then next turn I would have a 4/4 Rukh(s) attacking, and nobody would have defenders left.
And to really be mean, I would have Gauntlets of Might to really power up my Red mana.
So my basic strategy was to bring out a Plateau or other multi-Land so that I could bring out my GRofP, and then I would just go wild casting every Red destruction spell I had.  I would kill creatures and players.
The only deck that could stop me was Blue (Counters), but often it did not work either.  However, playing a multi-player with Blue, that was enough Counters to stop me.
Up here, people would not, or at least did not play with opposing colors.  My Red/White was hard to stop.
Oct 30, away until further notice

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:36 am

Hey, this is a different subject to bring up, and good too!

I had a good combo, and my deck was called "Kill Anyone and Everyone"

Essentially, the idea of my deck was to get out the Greater Realm of Preservation, and then cast every Red destruction spell I could. For single player games, that meant normal Red destruction and such, but for multi-player games, I would play Earthquakes, Chain Lightning, Lightning Bolts, Inferno, Lava Burst, Pyroclasm, Fireball, Disintegrate.  Virtually casting anything that would do damage to all creatures and players, and of course I have my GR of P to stop from being damaged.  Plus bonus cards like Beast of Bogardan (Prot from Red) and Rukh Eggs (Inferno would destroy my Ruch Egg, but then next turn I would have a 4/4 Rukh(s) attacking, and nobody would have defenders left.
And to really be mean, I would have Gauntlets of Might to really power up my Red mana.
So my basic strategy was to bring out a Plateau or other multi-Land so that I could bring out my GRofP, and then I would just go wild casting every Red destruction spell I had.  I would kill creatures and players.
The only deck that could stop me was Blue (Counters), but often it did not work either.  However, playing a multi-player with Blue, that was enough Counters to stop me.
Up here, people would not, or at least did not play with opposing colors.  My Red/White was hard to stop.
It sounds like "Death From Above"!!
All this fire and crap flying around and landing on YOU!
Darren ;D
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:57 am

It sounds like "Death From Above"!!
All this fire and crap flying around and landing on YOU!
Darren ;D
True, but like I said, Greater Realm of Preservation, and nothing falls on me.  It falls aside like water before the stone.   ;D
Oct 30, away until further notice

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:01 am

never did the combo thing.  Just put as many expensive cards as I could find into one deck.  
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:04 am

My first "combo" was using reconstruction on island fish jasconius ;D ;D ;D My brother and I didn't know the rules too good back then... :)
The first "real" combo was phantasmal terrain and island fish, though :)
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:10 am

Cromat + Coalition Victory, I suppose.  I didn't really build any "focused" decks until I had quit and rejoined during Invasion block, so I guess this would probably be it.  I still use the deck, too, though it's much more refined and focused on the combo.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:34 am

Image Image
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

Cyberellium

Post by Cyberellium » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:05 pm

Bit of a weird one but it was funny back in the days.

Pestilence - Zuran Orb - Balance.

The idea was and the rules were a little different back then was I pestilenced all my dudes so I had 0 creatures tapped 1 white and 1 whatever mana then sacced all my land and with the mana in my pool cast balance and boom opponent had 0 land 0 creatures and I usually had no cards in my hand either so possibly 0 cards in hand too.

Good equalizer.
Magic: The Gathering: 1993 - 1999.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:38 pm

I have to admit, I like Shaun's simplicity.

Image  Image

or

Image  Image
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:19 pm

Well, it wasn't really my combo, but my HUGE Keldon Warlord and my friend's Eye for and Eye.  Had never seen the card before and lemme tell you, it was one HECK of a wake up call.  There was a certain coolness back in the day when you didn't even know what all the cards were and such a turn of events would be totally unexpected...

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

misterpid
Legendary World's Toughest Milkman

Post by misterpid » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:44 pm

Ornithopter and Firebreathing.

Originally, I didn't realize that the pumping went away at the end of the turn - which made the combo a lot stronger, he just kept getting bigger and bigger.
Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:48 pm

well... i´d have to say lure+basilisk...
I collect foils and FBB Base Sets. PM me.

theh0bbit

Post by theh0bbit » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:59 pm

I began very late to play magic with combos.
All i had where about 500 cards (mostly common and uncommon) a friend had given me.

So i had tu put the most "better" cards in the deck to get to the minimum of 60 cards, but there wasn't a real combo to play (except the lure - cockatrice combo from bigfatkitty ;D ...)

I began very late with playing magic a bit more. I think it was about the mirage time. But i can only remember one combo i played with cards from stronghold.

I played a Red/white Deck using the following :

Shaman en-Kor and all other en-Kor guys

and as combos

Wall of Essence or Mogg Maniac

When there was an en-Kor out i played a mass destruction spell (i loved wake of destruction ;D)
threw all damage on the shaman for example and threw it all back on the maniac to deal massive damage to my enemy, or threw it back on the wall of essence to gain live  :D

Later i filled the deck with furnace of wrath  ;D

Ok it wasn't really a fast or very good combo, but it was very funny to play ;)

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:31 pm

Lure & Thicket Baskilisk were it for me, essentially.

My first deck that I remember having, involving group games (previously I had no real strategy & never kept a deck together long) besicly was blue/ white, w/ a ton of defense & cards that screwed those who targeted me- like Eye for an Eye or Deflection- I'd let others destroy themselves while leaving me alone. Then I'd be left w/ a few players, 20+ Wall of Kelp tokens, & a few Serra Angels. Time to kill...