Opinions on MOTL

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Re: Opinions on MOTL

Post by dry cereal » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:53 am

Sylvanstu, when you send me the money for the packs I'll give you a ref  ;) :P
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:22 pm

MOTL is where i learned about magic rarities.
It was called flaminios back then.
They are a nice place to look up prices for cards.
I don't trade much so it's got it's down points for me.
Alot of the kids on there are punks.
Darren
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:40 pm

MOTL is where i learned about magic rarities.
It was called flaminios back then.
They are a nice place to look up prices for cards.
I don't trade much so it's got it's down points for me.
Alot of the kids on there are punks.
Darren
maybe a very stupid question,

motl was called flaminios?

The same flaminio as this site originator?
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:24 pm

No, magic rarities was called flaminios.
At least that's what they called it at MOTL.
I was on MOTL back in the day(looking for a dci disenchant foil), and someone told me "look on flaminios. If he hasn't heard of it, it doesn't exist."
And i've been here ever since. (about three years)
Darren
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:52 pm

I've been using MOTL once in a while for a little over a year.  The biggest problem I've had is someone giving me the wrong address, but that got fixed and the trade worked fine.

A friend of a friend (it's always a friend of a friend, isn't it?) got banned for posting in others' threads without discussing a trade.  Something like that.  It would be nice if they gave warnings first, but oh well.

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:56 am

Bob Flaminio had various websites (all off of www.flaminio.com) one of them was the beginning version of this site. It had forums as well, which people talk of as "the old forums" (clever huh? ;) hehe). I am not sure however, when Bob started his site. I was on his forums for probably over a year before these came. And obviously, I've been here since.

Take Care,
Dylan I.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:15 am

Tenacious_Dyl: The information you miss is found in the ABOUT section of the main page  ;)

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:37 am

Forgive me Ralph :)

I am a bit tired... (2 hours of sleep last night) and lots of running around!!!

Sigh... caffeine is my savior.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:09 am

although i don't know how much non-usenet-based mtg communities contribute to Bob's decision to start this site up, i do believe rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc played a rather significant role.  i think this post is the first one in which Bob revealed any interest in rarities (or atleast it was the first one I saw, heh):

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... 40email.si

if you look at the entire thread, you'll see a reply by Bob.  Blaz Atonic would continue to post his rarities list, and although his threads didn't always inspire more posts, i believe they did garner interest in the subject.  here is the last post Blaz Atonic made on the subject of rarities before Bob started his site up:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... 40email.si

i participated in that thread under the name of Thomas.

Bob's original anouncement on usenet of this site can be found here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... a.best.com

as before, i participated under the name of Thomas.

anyways, it is for these early contributions that i am credited (under my real name) on this site (and my real name isn't thomas - when this site was first formed, i was still living at home, and had to abide by my parents wishes that i not divulge personal information).

also, on a completly unrelated note, here's an interesting post i found:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... lworld.com

Bob obviously knew about it, and decided not to include it on the site, but...  it's interesting, none-the-less.
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:41 am

Whine, whine, whine.

Bas, you lasted for 2 years before being banned.  You knew how things worked, but somehow decided to get yourself banned.  It's not that hard not to be.  I've gotten smacked twice in the two+ years I've been on MOTL, and karma boosts have evened that out nicely.  If you hate MOTL so much, why bother coming back, and obsessing over it?

Dry Cereal, it's against the rules to return once you've been banned, so expect to be re-banned.  Rules are there for a reason.

To everyone:  I've had no trouble avoiding rippers and banning.  Just use common sense, trade with high-ref members, and read (and obey) the rules.  It's not that difficult.

Also, there aren't really any serious alternatives to MOTL.  If you dislike it so much, why not start one?

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:30 pm

@Tha-Gunslinga: On MOTL, are you aware when you get a Karma smack or a Positive karma boost?
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:46 pm

Whine, whine, whine.

Bas, you lasted for 2 years before being banned.  You knew how things worked, but somehow decided to get yourself banned.  It's not that hard not to be.  I've gotten smacked twice in the two+ years I've been on MOTL, and karma boosts have evened that out nicely.  If you hate MOTL so much, why bother coming back, and obsessing over it?

Dry Cereal, it's against the rules to return once you've been banned, so expect to be re-banned.  Rules are there for a reason.

To everyone:  I've had no trouble avoiding rippers and banning.  Just use common sense, trade with high-ref members, and read (and obey) the rules.  It's not that difficult.

Also, there aren't really any serious alternatives to MOTL.  If you dislike it so much, why not start one?
Its kind of hard to follow your simple rules of banning.  They seem to have no reason most of the time.  Again I was banned the day I signed up.  Zero posts, zero activity, zero response to e-mail.  

I've made deals on MOTL, but I've had to send other references with people.  No problems with how MOTL works between people just the management of the site.  Or lack of management I should say.  
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Bas

Post by Bas » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:36 pm

Whine, whine, whine.

Dad gave me a -5 for nothing. And then when that didn't ban me (I had possitive karma). He smacked me again for the same ammount. For something I didn't do. SO I am not the winer here. I am still on motl as various usernames, hey, one even has about 600 posts again. I am just mourning for my 65 refs.
Don't PM me, email me at bas DOT kooijman AT hccnet DOT nl

Cheers!

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:12 pm

@Tha-Gunslinga: On MOTL, are you aware when you get a Karma smack or a Positive karma boost?
Yes, they'll email you.
Its kind of hard to follow your simple rules of banning.  They seem to have no reason most of the time.  Again I was banned the day I signed up.  Zero posts, zero activity, zero response to e-mail.  

This one is a mystery to me.  All I can guess is that it was a glitch in the Matrix.  Sometimes weird stuff happens.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:26 pm

Yes, they'll email you.

This one is a mystery to me.  All I can guess is that it was a glitch in the Matrix.  Sometimes weird stuff happens.
I've sent many e-mails and have received no replies.  I guess the Matrix has other things to worry about.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.