"restoring" cards

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Celebrindor

"restoring" cards

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:21 am

I read somewhere (I believe on this forum, though I cannot find it even using the vaunted search function) that "dirt" can be removed from white bordered cards (like revised) by using a pencil eraser.  Is this considered tampering with a card?  I bought 2 revised Badlands, but they arrived in unsatisfactory condition.  So, I used a pencil eraser to remove the dirt from the white borders.  Can I claim they are in good shape, or not?  

Oh, and by the way - that trick only works on the white borders - on the backs, it erases the black border.

Vilan

Re: "restoring" cards

Post by Vilan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:08 am

I don't consider it tampering. You're removing gunk that shouldn't be there, not changing the actual card itself.

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:35 am

tampering would be painting or dyeing damaged black-bordered cards or making unlimiteds look like betas, or stuff like that.

i actually just use a careful fingernail and spit ;) to clean dirt off. almost all my revised rares i play with, after some work :), look a LOT better.

unless you are reckless, you aren't going to lose any value, or risk damage. its really just a "might make the card better, but might stay the same"... give it a go.. I clean my cards carefully.

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:15 am

Spit, yuck! Remind me to never trade cards that are less than NM-M condition with you, Dylan! ;D
Just kidding :) But anyways, it's not really tampering although you do risk doing more harm to the card when you clean it, often you can notice surface damage when holding it against a light, if dirt has been "fingernailed" off.
I wouldn't call it tampering either :P
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Post by victorcamp » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:48 pm

Before I knew better, I tried erasing the hair on that famous early artifact misprint (thought it was a pencil mark). Ruined the card, but now I know. ;D

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:41 pm

I don't consider it tampering. You're removing gunk that shouldn't be there, not changing the actual card itself.
I agree with this destinction.

Also. An eraser is very abbrasive and will scratch the card. a q-tip and a little water works much better.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:03 pm

There are easier ways.  Believe it or not, you can use regular windex or similar cleaners, especially glass cleaners (just don't try any of the "industrial strength" versions or anything with bleach in it).  Spray the cleaner on a paper towel to moisten it (DON'T get it soaking wet), and repeatedly wipe the card lightly.  So long as you don't use too much pressure, the grime will eventually dissolve away without hurting the card.   Let the card air dry to remove any last traces of the cleaner.  Try it first with lands or commons.  Also, make sure you don't use a heavily fragrenced cleaner, or the smell may stick around.

Usually if a card has a lot of dirt on the edges it isn't "near mint" under the grime, so don't expect miracles.  And if the white card surface has wear (to the underlying cardboard) you need to be extra careful to not soak the unprotected surface, but otherwise this method is quite good at cleaning up white surfaces.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:36 pm

I agree with this destinction.

Also. An eraser is very abbrasive and will scratch the card. a q-tip and a little water works much better.
As an added note, it is better to use distilled water to do this.  Any minerals/chemicals that you might find in tap water might not be good for the long term for your card.  Buy a bottle of distilled or purifed water if you opt this route.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:30 am

also, when using an eraser, be careful that you don't erase away some of the gloss.  Also, erasers CAN leave marks, so I'd advise just letting the card be.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing