Commons and Uncommons

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Commons and Uncommons

Post by mintcollector » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:26 pm

So just curious.  What does everyone do with their commons and uncommons from packs/boxes?  Mine personally are sorted by color and then alphabetically, then by set putting older sets further back.  I have many 5000 card count boxes filled this way.  As far as updates, I sort commons and uncommons from boxes I open and store them in the set boxes.  After getting sick at looking at them after a year or so these also eventually get put into the larger archives though.  Setting this up originally took many days of back breaking sorting on the floor.  

So....what's everyone else do?

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Re: Commons and Uncommons

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:30 pm

I occasionally get LARGE amounts of commons and uncommons.

I make common only decks, and uncommon only decks sometimes. A few of them are fairly good.

I have also given a lot of my extras to new players for free. (think about it... you have tons of valuable cards... and you have a few hundred extra commons worth maybe $5... might as well be nice)

If anyone has large (or small) amounts of commons from: Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, The Dark

I am interested. Note, I mean *commons* (sure, uncommons and "rares" (uncommon 1's) are nice too... but I am just looking for older cards I miss. If you have any for free, I will greatly appreciate, or I will trade you some type 2 or type 1 rares for lots of older commons.

Let me know :) (as my picture says... OLD CARDS ROCK  :P)

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:33 pm

I sort them by set, then by color, then alphabetically.  Once I have 4 copies of a common, further copies go into a large pile that I have.  The theory is that I can give them away or something, but I haven't actually ever done that.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:48 pm

I used to store sets all together with usually 6 of each common (of the best condition) in one box, then have separate storage for the extra commons. This system took a long time to implement and seemed nice -- until I discovered that I was constantly shifting cards around after getting more cards. Every time I added cards I ended up pulling two or three boxes down.

Now I just keep all cards from any expansion all together. Usually one expansion will fit into 3000 or 5000 card boxes, though some do overflow. I sort rares/uncommons/commons within each set box separately, then order them by color (W/U/B/R/G/Multi/Art/Land) and then alphabetically.

A nice thing that I did was to tape an empty card sleeve onto the top of each storage box. Then I put a card from whatever set that box contains in the sleeve. This is both cleaner and more easily configurable than writing the names of the set on the box.

I store all my cards on a metal storage rack I bought for that purpose. The shelves are sturdy and are 18" deep, the perfect depth for a standard card storage box.
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:50 am

All my commons are in boxes by color mixed except for blue last year i started to orginiza them by expansion then alphebetically but it took so long to do i gave up on the other colors for now.
My uncommons are sorted by color and thats it.
Mike if you'd like I'll bring mine over for you to orginize lol. all my alpha beta unlimited arabian antiquities legends and dark are all seperate from the boxes they are in binders together
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:11 am

if anyone on the east coast wants to dump their commons/uncommons, I'll come visit, buy you dinner, and pick them up.  Maybe play some magic too.   :P
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Vilan

Post by Vilan » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:31 am

I have one 1000 count box for each color's commons, sorted alphabetically. I keep 4 of each card (or one of each artwork/edition, whichever's more) and toss the rest, except I'll keep more copies of the good commons like Disenchant or Counterspell. I used to burn the extras, but now I recycle them... less entertaining but more enviro-friendly I guess. Or I use them as proxies. Uncommons get sorted by color and alphabetically then go into a couple smaller boxes. When they fill up, I filter out the chaff and sell them for a couple cents each at a card store.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:41 am

recycle them???  no way, couldn't be...  Surely you're joking.  If you have a serious problem with too many cards, get in contact with Ben Waste Management.  

In other words, I (and most likely Dylan too) will be more than happy to pay for shipping + some if you send us your excess.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:28 am

Yes,
Vilan (and any others) me and Dry Cereal will each by half (depending) in shipping.

PLEASE I love commons / uncommons, anything that is free, is good for me.

Crazyx

Post by Crazyx » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:58 pm

I keep 4 of each card, sort them into serie and color and serie. Then i take the cards from one block and put them into one box. The card which i have more than 4 times i use as proxys when i build a new deck

blackfire100

Post by blackfire100 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:22 pm

I keep 4 copies of each card in binders seperated by expansion. the rest are thrown into an "I think I'll give 'em to a friend in need" pile.
Image The Great One

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:07 pm

I have so many extra cards that when anyone i know is building a deck they come over to my place to get what they're missing
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:36 pm

All of my cards, commons, uncommons, rares, excluding a set of each in a binder are in card boxes alphbetically by color then by type.  Creature, Enchantment, Instant/Interupt, Sorcery.  I have over 50,000+ cards and it's the only way I can stay resonably sane.

I can always find anything.  Call me anal retentive.  I started this sorting method when I had found these handy Magic dividers which are color specific and have the type on the top.  

I can provide scans if this doesn't make any since.  Come to think of it, this may be another rarity Dragmasou doesn't have.   Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.   ;D
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:48 pm

Come to think of it, this may be another rarity Dragmasou doesn't have.   Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.   ;D
Hi Bigfatkitty.
Do you think that Over 100 Magic Rarities that I look for is not enough for the moment  ;D ;)
And I don't consider that "Thing" a Magic Rarities  ;) :)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:34 pm

I collect sets, I'm almost as far along, & almost as picky as mintcollector. I need about 300 cards to have one of every regular English card- and half of what I need is from 5th edition because I rarely look for them...

I keep one of each common for my sets, the entire set is alphabetical. Then I keep at least 4 of every other common (from Revised forward) in their respective booster boxes. (I need an empty Fallen Empires, Mirage, Visions, & Tempest box for one of each set if anyone wants to donate).

When I have excess, and believe me, I DO, I give them to my local shop, and my nephews. Makes everyone happy. I'm a very cool uncle, according to them...

Uncommons, I kind of do the same thing, but rarely do I get more than 6 of any uncommon, so I usually keep them.