Foils and aging, opinions and solutions?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Foils and aging, opinions and solutions?

Post by Gryfalia » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:41 pm

One thing I have noticed is that old foils age poorly.

I don't mean the bend that the cards get, even though this is annoying. I mean the fact that foils, over time (especially if not protected well) start to look crappy.

1) How do you all judge the condition of an older foil?

2) What good methods do you have to keep them looking fresh? (if possible)

Just looking for some advice.

Gryfalia

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:04 pm

I'm not quite sure I agree with you, meaning that my old foils don't look that bad compared to newer ones.

Maybe some of the differences you see depend upon color or specific cards which were printed that way. For example, all FOIL Squee, Goblin Nabobs I ever saw look a bit dull compared to Red FOILS from Scourge.

However I just go a FOIL Japanese Misdirection in the mail (same age since it's also a MM card) and it looks gorgeous.

Other old FOILS I have such as Replenish from Destiny (White) also look good, while Artifact FOILS from that same set (Masticore, Metalworker) don't.

So I don't think it's really a matter of age, but of certain colors or even cards coming from certain sets which had a sub-optimal printing quality.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:37 pm

I've noticed that foils kept in a box with other foils for years will get scuffed just by rubbing against the backs of other cards. And then they look bad. The only real solution is the penny sleeve ever foil. I sleeve most of them, and that keeps them looking fine. I have a few Urza block foils that still look as good as new.