ebay spamming!?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:18 am

It's a harsh world. You broke Ebay rules.

[edit]: At least I was nice enough to admit that it was me.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:22 am

yeah thats cool that you admitted it was you (i figured it was somebody from here), but why would you waste your time to report someone you have a trading relationship with when there are far more egregious versions of this "crime". i dont get it. you wasted a lot more of my time than i wasted of yours.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:25 am

Because the more it's reported, the less it happens. My fantasy job would be being an Ebay moderator; I get really ticked off by stuff like this.

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:06 am

ende73 wrote:
mahdishain wrote:i can understand why someone would refine their search to beta chaos orb
- alpha, but not why should they have to. people should be able to search for what they are looking for without having to filter out false headings, whether literally false or false in spirit. buyers should refine their searches to better find what they are looking for, not to avoid what they don't want.
this is obviously not blatant abuse but to say that it's not as bad as others
is a poor justification and admitting guilt.
think about it.

practice peace

mahdishain
I'm sorry but if we purse that reasoning if I list a Japanese "Exalted Angel" on Ebay then I'm spamming and should be blocked and removed since I'll turn up on people's searches for English "Exalted Angel"s.
the difference, of course, is in your example you have nothing that is put in only to attract people who may not be interested. whereas normalbrains admittedly used not beta and like beta for that purpose.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:15 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Because the more it's reported, the less it happens. My fantasy job would be being an Ebay moderator; I get really ticked off by stuff like this.
Hi.
I have to say something.I really wonder in which side you will have been during WW2 in France,probably a God Damned Collabo :evil:
I wonder how unhappy in your life you are,to loose time to do this and if one day someone break your nose,I won't be surprised ;D
Sorry,but I really HATE this kind of attitude [-X
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:09 am

dragsamou wrote:
Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Because the more it's reported, the less it happens. My fantasy job would be being an Ebay moderator; I get really ticked off by stuff like this.
Hi.
I have to say something.I really wonder in which side you will have been during WW2 in France,probably a God Damned Collabo :evil:
I wonder how unhappy in your life you are,to loose time to do this and if one day someone break your nose,I won't be surprised ;D
Sorry,but I really HATE this kind of attitude [-X
Wow,
this i the first time i see alexis pissed off.........then you must have done something really naughty gunslinga!
And i have to agree with alexis, you don't do that to somebody you know.
I also don't approve the way normalbrains advertises on ebay, but i don't report him for that.
I am gonna check up on my auctions to check if they are all correc, because before i know someone i know will stab me in the back! :evil:
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

GraueEminenz
Librarities Legend

Post by GraueEminenz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:03 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote: At least I was nice enough to admit that it was me.
Nice? Proud of such an f*cking attidude in such a minor case?
It would have been nice to just told normalbrains about the issue than running to the cops. Sorry, Ben, but that's an behaviour that can't be tolerated.
But I have to because otherwise I wouldn't be better than you.
In Germany you call it "oberlehrerhaft" meaning blaming everyone for everything that's a bit out of the justy track.
I really have to think our forecoming deals over :evil:
Greetings
Jan

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:40 pm

ben, did you also report this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:SS:US:1
Fungusaur legend

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:43 pm

AXIOS wrote:ben, did you also report this auction?

:lol: ... well, imagine how happy this guy was when he found it in his closet... after all it is true the Dark symbol is not very visible on that card ... :roll:

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:45 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:It's a harsh world. You broke Ebay rules.

[edit]: At least I was nice enough to admit that it was me.
and since when are you ebay??
Fungusaur legend

ende73

Post by ende73 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:57 pm

I e-mailed the seller:

"Unfortunately this card is not from Summer Magic... if you look closely it has the symbol of -The Dark- expansion, all of which bear the 1994 copyright. Please remember all Summer cards have a white border. This Bog Rats is worth no more than $0.20. Hope this helps. "

and he immediately replied:

"Thanks."

I feel somewhat better than if I had reported him :P

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:01 pm

ende73 wrote:

I e-mailed the seller:

"Unfortunately this card is not from Summer Magic... if you look closely it has the symbol of -The Dark- expansion, all of which bear the 1994 copyright. Please remember all Summer cards have a white border. This Bog Rats is worth no more than $0.20. Hope this helps. "

"Thanks."

too bad bruce dickinson sang,

only the good die young Image
Fungusaur legend

ende73

Post by ende73 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:06 pm

AXIOS wrote:
ende73 wrote:

I e-mailed the seller:

"Thanks."

too bad bruce dickinson sang,

only the good die young Image
I hope I won't die before you send me my surprise incidentally :roll:

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:43 pm

ende73 wrote:I hope I won't die before you send me my surprise incidentally :roll:
Good luck with that. I've been waiting over 6 months. :evil:

And to stay on track...spammers are bad.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:46 pm

I can understand Ben's desire to keep eBay cleaned up. I totaly agree; if I were allowed to I would wipe out a great number of misleading auctions. But in trying, I think Ben went off the deep end. I think the description "not Beta" is appropriate and descriptive. It is not in the least deceptive or spam-like in nature. EBay's response in pulling the auctions was likely a path of least resistance by some uninformed eBay moron.

I am familiar with eBay rules and regulations. Their example with the Chanel bag goes on to describe how it is illegal to compare a "knock-off" item to a name brand item. The concern is describing a product with a brand name (think copyrights and trademarks) to which it is not entitiled. Or describing an item using a competing name (like selling a Sony item using the Panasonic name).

In the case of an Alpha vs. Beta Chaos Orb, their is no problem with one card being a legal Magic The Gathering offering, with the other being a knock-off. Both are legitimate MTG products. In fact, both are variants of the same product. To my knowledge, Wizards never legally differentiated Alpha and Beta cards by those labels. The first set of cards was called "Limited", and had two printings. If Alpha and Beta are not Wizards trademark names (they were simply variations of the same series), but are names given by the collecting public, then there is certainly no trademark or copyright being usurped. And given that Alpha and Beta cards have fairly equal prices (although Alpha has been trending higher recently) it isn't as if Normalbrains was trying to draw attention to an inferior set.

More importantly, specifying which edition a collectible is from is critical. The value of a collectible can vary greatly depending upon which series the collectible is from. This is not specific to Magic items. In baseball cards, a year difference on a superstar can mean the difference between a $50 card and a $1,000 card.

Noting that a card is from one set and not another extremely similar set, to me, conveys a level of knowledge and expertise in the seller. I'm still upset at the seller who sent me a Beta Mox Jet when advertising an Alpha Mox Jet (I needed the Alpha, not the Beta). In retrospect, I would have appreciated the additional information that the seller actually knew the difference. I'm currently trying to complete an Unlimited set, and I've been driven to distraction with the number of Revised cards I've received from sellers (including some bigger names) who were offering "Unlimited" items. I'm tired of returning cards from the wrong series. The most recent was an Unlimited "Nightmare" that turned out to be from 4th Edition. I now look for auctions where the seller gives me strong assurances that what I am getting is actually Unlimited. I want the auction to say, "Unlimited, not Revised".

In summary, I think Normalbrains was wronged greatly. And Ben, I hope you don't see your dream job come true until you learn the difference between an outright scam and a truly informational header. There are far too many real problems on eBay that need to be addressed.