Things NOT to do when shipping

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Celebrindor

Things NOT to do when shipping

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:08 pm

A little word of advice:  sealing top-loaders with tape is a very bad idea, especially when its USPS Priority Mail tape.  I have now recieved packages from 3 or 4 different people (one Rarities member), with toploaders sealed with this type of tape, and getting the cards out intact is nearly impossible - a JSS Slith had its corners bent, when I tried to extract it.  Most recently, I got an FNM Blastoderm packaged like this, and I used a box-cutter on the toploader rather than trying to remove the tape.  Sealing toploaders is un-necessary and harmful to the cards.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Re: Things NOT to do when shipping

Post by flatmatt » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:28 pm

Hmm, interesting.  For quite some time I've put a piece of Scotch tape over the middle of the toploader just to theoretically stop the card if it somehow tries to fly out.  Is your bad experience only with the toploader being completely sealed?  And is it just a problem caused when you actually try to remove the tape?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:30 pm

A little word of advice:  sealing top-loaders with tape is a very bad idea, especially when its USPS Priority Mail tape.  I have now recieved packages from 3 or 4 different people (one Rarities member), with toploaders sealed with this type of tape, and getting the cards out intact is nearly impossible - a JSS Slith had its corners bent, when I tried to extract it.  Most recently, I got an FNM Blastoderm packaged like this, and I used a box-cutter on the toploader rather than trying to remove the tape.  Sealing toploaders is un-necessary and harmful to the cards.
Hi Evan.
I do not agree,if I tell you how many times,I received cards in Top-Loader with no Tape and the card ends up out of it,you can get worst damages.I Always Tape the top-loader with a Small piece of clear Tape in the middle that you can take so easily and the card inside a Protective Sleeve.I do not know what 's that
USPS Priority Mail tape that you talk about,but it looks like a Real Danger for cards.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:32 pm

Ok, I've never had a problem with an amount of tape that doesn't completely cover the top myself.

I just thwack the top-loader on the table (moving the card away from the top) and then use a pen to open the tape (cutter will do).

Of course, when I was HYPER anal, I used to take a piece of paper, fold the paper over the top and tap down both ends of the paper.

Time intensive, but very useful.  Or better yet, sleeve the card and put it in the top-loader upside-down..

What did drive me a little nuts was the person that sold me about 12 loose boosters and taped them all flat on a piece of card board with a LOT of tape..

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:56 pm

I send everything sealed w/scotch tape which is easily cut w/ a fingernail.  Never a problem.

What kind of crazy person uses packing tape?   ???
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:21 am

Or better yet, sleeve the card and put it in the top-loader upside-down..
This is how I ship all my cards, I then place one piece of Scotch tape over the open toploader end.  I fold over one end of the tape to make a non-sticky tab so that it's easy to peel off without cutting.

Never had a card damaged yet.
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

phiswiz
Legendary Camel Rider

Post by phiswiz » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:28 am

Hi all,

What I do that is very effective is to fold a penny sleeve over top of the top loader and then tape the penny sleeve to the top loader.  This way the tape can't get in the way.  I have no complaints about this method and it works very well.

misterpid
Legendary World's Toughest Milkman

Post by misterpid » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:34 am

I really only have one packaging horror story.

I won an auction of Italian Legends white cards on ebay last year.  Got them at a decent price for what was included.  The seller figured he'd be nice and give me a bonus item, a life counter.  He placed the cards on top of a hard plastic top loader, then taped the life counter over all of it (the tape only touched the life counter and the top loader) - he assumed that the top loader and life counter would protect the cards between them from getting bent.  

Apparently he forgot about the metal ring in the center of the life counter.  The Thunder Spirit, Land Tax, and Presence of the Master (the only cards in the lot that I really wanted) all have a nice circular imprint on them thanks to his packaging skills (they didn't have these imprints in the auction's picture).  He was nice enough to refund the auction price (but not the shipping charges).
Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:37 am

Gryfalia, MCM, and phiswiz, these are all good solutions.  But there are people out there without less common sense, and toploaders with mass amounts of sticky packing tape are the result.  Another problem I experience once (only once, thankfully), is someone who didn't use a toploader ("I'm pretty sure the Jackal Pup wasnt bent like that in the pic").  

Then, there are people who pack 4 or 5 or more cards into a toploader, and people who seal the outer envelope so well that I am afraid I will damage the cards opening it.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:22 am

sleeve the card and put it in the top-loader upside-down..
Gryfalia
I too agree with this method.  The safest way as far as I am concerned. Mind, the one problem I have had with this (on more than one occassion) is when the seller puts multiple cards in a single top-loader.  Which is then squeezed in there, and will not come out easily.  2 or 3 cards is okay, for 4 or more, then it starts getting a little too tight for safety sake.
Oct 30, away until further notice

Allie

Post by Allie » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:41 am

For larger amounts of cards I sell on ebay, I put the cards (no more than 3) each in a penny sleeve and then sandwhich the cards with 2 top loaders. I use tape on the bottom and the sides, and then I take a small strip of paper and put at the top to "close" the remaining opening and put the tape on that. (the penny sleeve idea to keep in the cards is a good one, too. Never thought of that).

Then all of that is put in a padded or cardboard envelope. Have not had any cards damaged shipping that way.

Cards can't slide out of the penny sleaves. Tape doesn't get near the cards. Top loaders protect the cards. Using only two top loaders for 10 or more cards does not add much to the shipping costs so I can keep costs down.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:53 am

There are top loaders that easily hold more than 3 cards.  I am very happy to have purchased a large number that fit 4 cards perfectly and they're only marginally more expensive than standard toploaders.

Here's my favorite place to buy toploaders from:

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat-Toploaders.htm

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:02 am

I always send cards inside a penny sleeve reversed so the open end is down inside a toploader with scotch tape. This prevents card creep. I've had cards arrive that were at least 1/4 inch outside the toploader because they weren't sealed. When I get cards, I'm always happy to tap, tap, tap to clear some space and then use my fingernail to split the scotch tape.

I like the recommendations made by Dragsamou, Gryfalia, and Bigfatkiddy. Someday when I do a trade with them, I'll know my card(s) will arrive in the shape they were sent!!

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:08 am

my worst experience was I bought some starter decks at an obscenely low price, came with one of those crappy 8th edition starter packs.  He used a manilla envelope and only did the brad.  So all i get is the crappy thing, the starters clearly fell out   le sigh
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:05 pm

I am not one to ship out a lot as I buy WAY more then sell or trade online.  When I do sell/trade, I use an inverted penny sleeve in a top loader.  Then the top loader is sealed in a team bag (those clear plastic bags with the adhesive flap).  Then the top loader is tightly moved to one side and the excess top and side are taped down with scotch tape.  For multiple cards (3+), each card is penny sleeved and then two top loaders are used as braces on either side.  Scotch tape is use on all 4 sides, with one piece used for stability.  The taped top loader stack is then put into a team bag and secured as above.  In all cases adequate card protection is provided (also against water damage), but at no time are the cards hard to remove.  Only the team bag might get sticky with the tape, but the cards never are in risk of damage.  Ralph is a common recipient of the latter method from me, but others here have received packages like this from me.

I have received the packing taped top loaders though and agree this is a pain to deal with.  I had one that had the whole top sealed.  To the point that it was better to use a knife and crack the top loader open on the side to minimize any damage to the card.