Oversize 6x9 cards - storage and display

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Oversize 6x9 cards - storage and display

Post by Archivist » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:01 pm

I thought the members might have some ideas about this topic, yet its not one we've discussed before.

1. Since these are so easily damaged, what is the best way you've found to store and protect these cards?

2. Is it possible to store them safely, yet still be able to display them? I'd guess they are too large for standard binders, and I haven't found binder pages sized properly.

3. How do you all sort them? Strictly alphabetical or each Arena season together (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/wild)?
[/list]
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Re: Oversize 6x9 cards - storage and display

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:10 pm

1. I store them in one-pocket binder pages. Note though that to the best of my knowledge, there are no perfectly sized pages, so the cards will slide a little in the pages. A friend of mine stores them comic sleeves and folds them to fit the cards perfectly.

2. Storing them in binder pages allows them to be protected and displayable at the same time.

3. I sort them strictly alphabetical, but this is really a personal choice.

GavinO

Post by GavinO » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:17 pm

I keep mine in sheet protectors (8x11, like for a presentation package).  They slide around, but you just have to be careful not to tip the binder upside down unless you're holding it closed.  As for sorting, I just sort by color.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:37 pm

motorcitymagic:  These questions were asked eons ago and no really good answers other than using one pocket pages was answered.  The idea of using a plastic id sealer to make oversized sleeves out either binder pages or some other archival material was discussed but I don't think anyone did much with these.  I think syvlanstu was going to try and had tried to make 6x9 sleeves, but I don to recall the outcome.  To my knowledge no archival vendor provides over the counter protection for 6x9 cards.  I also know the question was asked of Ultra Pro, but their answer simply was "There is no enough of a market to justify producing a line of these."  So collectors are on their own to do what they can to protect these cards.

As far as your 3rd question, all my other promos are broken in section type, FNM, Arena, Judge foils, etc.  They are chronologially sorted, this way to provide a way to simply add any newcomers to the end of the section.  This prevents the pertual resorting of a binder, thereby increasing the risk for possible damage when restructering the binder.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:14 am

1-2. Like Ralph's friend, I actually use a comic book sleeve for my one 6x9 card.  It's nice in that it seals at the top, though the opaque back does mean that I have to buy more than I would a card sleeve appropriately sized.

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:24 am

I luckily was able to take full page protectors and use this iron like machine my buddie has and make the pages fit. I told about this process last time we discussed this. the machine is for closing up plastic it like welds it together. it has a knob to adjust the heat for different thicknesses of plastic
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:58 am

rick21n
Librarities Legend

Post by rick21n » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:38 pm

The only real detail I will re-state here from my post in the other thread is that the Arena 6x9's don't fit in Ultra-Pro 6x9 TopLoaders.  Arena 6x9's are actually a hair larger then 6x9.

As for the questions:
I do the comic book bags (at least when I am not lazy).  I also store all of mine in a brown paper lunch bag.  I really don't show them to many people so it's never been a problem.

I sort Alphabetically with the basic lands at the end.

- Rick