I have several miscuts

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Big Games Supply

I have several miscuts

Post by Big Games Supply » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:42 am

could anyone tell me if miscuts are something anyone would value??  

Thanks

James

Celebrindor

Re: I have several miscuts

Post by Celebrindor » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:52 am

It depends on several things.

First of all, what card is it?  Valuable cards make valuable miscuts.

How miscut is it?  Severely miscut cards are worth more than 'off-center' miscuts.

Are any of the 'several' cards continuos?  A pre-con deck where all of the cards are miscut similarly is worth a lot, 3 or 4 'continuous' cards are worth a bit, but singly miscut cards are worth only slightly more than non-miscut cards (even if it severly miscut, or a valuable card)

What cards do you have?

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:53 am

on a related note, are miscuts showing a small part of the another card legal in tournements?

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:59 am

on a related note, are miscuts showing a small part of the another card legal in tournements?
I asked a judge that very question about a month ago.  Short answer:  they would strongly prefer you use a proxy, and will create one for you if you ask (at sealed tournaments, they don't like them in constructed).  Long answer: if only a small part is showing, they usually won't say anything, but severely miscut cards are frowned upon, and either way, it's basically at the judge's discretion.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:34 am

Muscuts need to be showing another card or the edge of a sheet to generate any *real* interest. I myself am interested in any, and I am crazy enough to go for a completely miscut Ice Age set, so any IA ones I will want more so.

Better cards DO make better miscuts. My Necropetence miscut is worth more than my miscut Plains, naturally.

As far as tournament play, I've made many a judge scratch their head on what to do on my misprints. Usually, you need opaque sleeves so the card is not marked, and all information must still be on the card- so creatures missing their casting cost, or anything missing text usually is a no go. It has to be obvious it is all there, too. The key is that there is nothing missing, or you can't cheat in any way with it.

Another thing to remember, is that it really is up to the judge at hand, so ask the head judge BEFORE you start playing, & keep a normal copy with you in case they say you cannot use it.

PopokiOfDeath

Post by PopokiOfDeath » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:29 am

Judges really hate me, I use a good amount of misprints/miscuts whenever possible, avoid using english cards whenever possible, and use these sleeves that have a refractive diamond pattern on the front. When you do things like that you need to have normal versions of most stuff too, I've been forced to re-sleeve my deck and replace cards in it many times.
I collect Korean cards, severe Miscuts, and Magic Memorabilia, LMK if you want to get rid of any