Rare dice, help me find info on these or complete my set

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mykbuckley

Rare dice, help me find info on these or complete my set

Post by mykbuckley » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:16 am

I have some 10-sided dice with a mana symbol in place of the 10. Fireball for red, skull for black. I only have those 2 and would like to complete the set. Anyone know anything about these? I can provide a picture so you know what I am talking about.

Thanks
Mike

mykbuckley

Here is a link to a picture of the rare dice

Post by mykbuckley » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:20 pm

Here is a link to see what dice I am talking about. If anyone has any information on these, let me know. If anyone has any for sale/trade, I am interested. I need the White, Blue and Green ones. Doesn't matter if they are single or double digit.

http://www.dicecollector.com/D10_OPAQUE ... MANA_1.jpg

Thanks
Mike

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:41 pm

The dice were issued as 10 sided dice (like your picture) and supposedly as 20 sided dice as well. They were apparantly issued in the 1996 - 1998 time frame. I have heard conflicting stories that they were either:

issued for a short time by WOTC

issued without WOTC permission, and quickly shut down as a result.

In either case, they aren't that common, and rarely show up on eBay.

mykbuckley

Thanks for the info

Post by mykbuckley » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:05 pm

I hadn't heard there were 20-sided ones out there. I figured if the dice collector dude didn't have them, they didn't exist.

I watch for them on ebay and I can say that none have popped up since I have been watching.

For one to show up in Cape Girardeau, MO, I figured they would be a lot easier to find. I think the player I got mine from played at the Gathering Ground in St Louis so maybe he got it there. That was back in 1998 though.

Thanks for the info,
Mike

MOT
Librarities Legend

Post by MOT » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:03 pm

I have a complete set of all five colors. No idea who produced these. Each color has two 10 sided die, 1s and 10s, with the mana symbol replacing the 0/00 spot on both die. I had a friend with a set a long time ago and he traded many of them away. I looked forever for these on eBay and they very rarely show up. I ended up buying a small collection just to get the dice set. That was 3-4 years ago and I don't recall seeing them on eBay more than a couple of times since. Good luck in completing your set.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:24 pm

mykbuckley - I have a question for you: I have 2 bone-colored 6-sided dice with the black lotus symbol on them instead of a 1. I got them a few years ago from a guy selling some other tasty promo magic stuff, so I'm not sure if they where they are from - any idea?

squt

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:59 am

As long as we are discussing weird dice. I have a 20-sided die that looks almost like the typical fatpack spindown dice. There are two differences, one minor and one major. The minor difference is that the font used for the numbers is very slightly different. The major difference is that the symbol which replaces the 20 appears to be a dragon's head (or maybe a unicorn head). I always figured it must be from some other RPG, but have never come across another like it.

Does anyone know what game it is from?

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:17 pm

A dragon's head other than the Scourge expansion symbol?

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:59 pm

hammr7 wrote:As long as we are discussing weird dice. I have a 20-sided die that looks almost like the typical fatpack spindown dice. There are two differences, one minor and one major. The minor difference is that the font used for the numbers is very slightly different. The major difference is that the symbol which replaces the 20 appears to be a dragon's head (or maybe a unicorn head). I always figured it must be from some other RPG, but have never come across another like it.

Does anyone know what game it is from?
With the number of dice games out there and dice manufacturers, a scan might be prudent to try and track yours down.

Mark: You too if you can pop up a pic.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:19 pm

It just shows how out of touch I am to most newer sets. It might be a Scourge die, although if so the quality control leaves a bit to be desired.