100 AP's?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

100 AP's?

Post by AXIOS » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:54 am

i thought that there were only 50 artist proofs of a given card available for artist??

check this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Signed-MTG-Artist-P ... dZViewItem

or did wizards know that FE would be such a bomb they printed more?
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: 100 AP's?

Post by dragsamou » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:13 am

AXIOS wrote:i thought that there were only 50 artist proofs of a given card available for artist??

check this auction:

or did wizards know that FE would be such a bomb they printed more?
Hi Nico.
As I mentioned previously,Only the CE/Beta are Limited to 50.Starting Antiquities,you could get 100 A.P.,even some Artists doing Only one card
get 370 A.P.,some others 100 ;-)
Last edited by dragsamou on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Is there any sense to the numbers, or are they just random?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:04 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Is there any sense to the numbers, or are they just random?
Hi Ben.
To be honnest,I have to search deeper into that particular subject.
As,I'm a Big Collector of those,and through so many contacts with artists
this is not an easy subject.Anyway,I share,different things,I heard.
First,some Artists didn't even get their A.P.Starting Antiquities,they start offering them by 50/100/150.After that,I know one Artist that have done Only one card,and he received 370 A.P.while another one received 70.I would love to have more infos about those irrational numbers,as the traditional "Only 50 in The world" that,you see on Ebay All of the time can be totally wrong except for C.E./Beta.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:36 pm

Here's an assumption. Since there were multiple artworks in Fallen Empires, if the same cards with some drawn by the same artist, would it not be possible the artist was given 50 of each and they took the whole stack and sequentially numbered them regardless of the picture?
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:43 pm

bigfatkitty wrote:Here's an assumption. Since there were multiple artworks in Fallen Empires, if the same cards with some drawn by the same artist, would it not be possible the artist was given 50 of each and they took the whole stack and sequentially numbered them regardless of the picture?
Hi Bruce.
What's better than the FAQ who goes with the auction and that I just find.
http://www.firstturninc.com/proofs-FAQ.html
Artist Proofs
proofs-FAQ.html

Artist Proofs (AKA White-backs) are authentic Magic: The Gathering cards, which are available only though the artists. These cards have a limited print run of 50-150 world wide, depending on the expansion and a few factors described here. Proofs are true magic cards on the front with a solid white back. WOTC delivered these to the artists as a sample of how their original work looked after resized & printing in the set. Artists have chosen to: Sell, trade, give, keep or destroy their proofs - as they are the only source for them. Artist-autographs serve as a certificate of authenticity that they are genuine & sourced through the artist. Without autograph, there is no certainty that the Proof is authentic.

The print run of artist proofs relies on several variables:

1) A certain number were printed by WOTC per set, starting with Beta. Duplicate sets/expansions by language were not produced or delivered to the artists. Therefore after Beta proofs were printed, Unlimited proofs were not printed (because it carried the same card set and same language). Revised was printed, as cards were added and removed from the set. The first add-on expansion proofs were Antiquities, no Arabian Nights proofs were printed and delivered to the artists. Starting with 4E, WOTC started sending foreign language equivalents instead of English. This was reversed around 7E and now English equivalents are distributed.

2) Other print runs include:
These listings summarize conversations with over 35 artists. Some artists did not receive their full amount per expansion or none at all. Therefore each artist's actual quantity of each card varies slightly.

Set Print Run
Beta 50 Print-Run [noted by square corners, much like the Collector's Edition cards.]
Revised 50 Print-Run
4E-Revised 50 Print-Run
4E -> BB Foreign lang, 1st language debue 50 Print-Run
5E -> 50 Print-Run

Antiquities 100 Print-Run
Legends 100 Print-Run
The Dark 50-100 Print-Run
Fallen Empires 100 Print-Run
Ice Age 100-150 Print-Run
Chronicles 100 Print-Run
Alliances -> 50 Print-Run

3) WOTC was charged with shipping these proofs to artists as a sample of their work, but some were 'shorted' through the distribution process. I have heard that some artists received fewer than the printed amount, the balance somehow disappearing between the press and the artist. Case in point, Ken Meyer Jr. received only 35 Revised Kird Ape proofs where Doug Shuler received a full 50 sets of his Revised proofs. Again, without an artist's autograph, the proof may not be authentically sourced through the artist!

4) Some artists have destroyed a portion of their Artist Proofs to make them more scarce and valuable. As they are limited to a 50-150 global print-run already, this is a rare occurrence by only a handful of artists.

5) Artist proofs are shipped to artists in lightweight cardboard boxes. At times, proofs have been damaged in shipment, affecting a large number of a specific card title.

6) Many artists use their partial-filled boxes for storage & catch-all (pens/blades/inks) on the convention circuit - without proper care to card conditions. Therefore, artist proof condition can degrade over time. When purchasing directly from the artist (show/convention), ask to review several proofs of each title (if possible) to select the best condition available. I've received several cards in EX condition (2 grades below mint) directly from the artist... further enhancing the value of those in Mint/Near Mint! True 'Mint' Proofs are very hard to find!

With the rare Alpha/Beta print run in the thousands & foils/inserts/promos in the tens of thousands, Artist Proofs are truly rare! Several collectors I know rate their worth equivalent to Summer Magic, but with a 100% print run for full-set collectability. Aside - During my peak, I had 77 Beta APs (~1/4 set) including the set of moxes, ancestral & walk (no lotus or twister)! I sold the set to an investor to pay for my last semester of college... but combined, the set of 77 went for less than a single SM Hurricane of similar print run - End Aside
Considering the international demand for rare Magic cards and the extremely low print-run, Artist Proofs from any set rank with the rarest & most coveted collectables in the world!

Tony Manion
Card Connoisseur
First Turn Kill
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.