rippin off for misprints

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

secretgiant
Librarities Hero

rippin off for misprints

Post by secretgiant » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:36 am

The best I ever gave for a misprint was 2 Umezawa's Jitte for the Llanowar Elf featured on the photosite in my signature. I just got paid $65.00 for it from a dealer in MN. Whether I got a good deal or got ripped off isn't my point. Should I have given more for the Elf, or was 2 Jitte fair? I thought the original trade was a risk, but who can ignore what I was getting in return? What about other misprint trades? Most of the ones I get are cheap- a couple bucks or a throw-in, or even for free as a gift since I'm the only one in the area that collects them.
My username was lordsilver, but it displayed as secretgiant. I am the same user.
My gallery without updates: http://photobucket.com/albums/b260/secr ... ?start=all

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:23 am

That Elf is worth like $5 to pretty much anyone, so the original trade was totally fair.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:00 am

this elf?

5 bucks tops indeed
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

secretgiant
Librarities Hero

Post by secretgiant » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:52 pm

5 bucks is crazy! How can you compair that elf to the value of junk?
My username was lordsilver, but it displayed as secretgiant. I am the same user.
My gallery without updates: http://photobucket.com/albums/b260/secr ... ?start=all

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:06 pm

If it showed a second card then maybe it was worth 7 dollars, but now.........
Fungusaur legend

secretgiant
Librarities Hero

Post by secretgiant » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:35 pm

The dealer I sold this to bought various of my misprints for a total of $350 so I am grateful regards. And he is a member of the board, although an infrequent poster, so be nice!

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:36 pm

Maybe he gave you 65 for the elfe as he saved 120 on an other card, he bought in the lot?
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

secretgiant
Librarities Hero

Post by secretgiant » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:47 pm

Doubt it, bought like 8 cards. Sold the 4 revised square cut commons at 80/80/50/50, although he did end up spending about $30 less for the lot than for all the cards separate.

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:54 pm

sqaure cut revised??
Do you know how valuable these are??
you could get 150 to 200 dollars each for those?
That's the reason he gave you 65 for the elf, because he knew he paid you waaay too less for the square cuts.

So afterall, it has been you who has been ripped [-X
Fungusaur legend

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:03 pm

Square-cut Revised cards are worth like $5-10 each, MAX; there's no way in hell they're worth more.

AXIOS

Post by AXIOS » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:11 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Square-cut Revised cards are worth like $5-10 each, MAX; there's no way in hell they're worth more.
i think the giant is getting my drift......something about a filler ;)
Fungusaur legend

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:00 pm

IMHO Gunslinga is absolutely right. In general terms that elf is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.

Why anyone would pay $65 for it is beyond me, but then, ultimately a card is worth whatever someone will pay for it. Perhaps the buyer really REALLY likes elves and wanted this one very badly.

To my mind, offcenter commons (esp WB or recent ones) are worth $1 to $2. WB miscut commons (where part of the card image is missing) can be worth up to $5. To go over $5, you really need to be either talking about a miscut so severe that you can see part of another card on it (like this one), or an uncommon or rare, or a very old card.

If that card were a Birds of Paradise (obviously not 9E, since 9E has no BoP), then it might be worth in the neighborhood of $50. Llanowar elf? Well maybe to someone doing the Llanowar Elf Global Set or something... ;-)
-- Plastered_Dragon -- A.K.A. Chuck Seggelin
* The Stone Rain Project v2.0 * My Blog *

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:45 pm

A lot of collectors think all misprints are worthless. Some think that certain categories of misprints, like crimps or miscuts, are worthless. These include hard core collectors who are well versed in the field. This is not that unusual. In fact, magic collectors seem much more accepting of misprint items than other collectibles, like sports cards.

Furthermore, in Magic, almost no one can try and collect everything. Some collectors stick with only English cards. Some collectors avoid autographed cards, or white bordered cards, or any other ideosynchrasy you can think of.

With standard cards you can get a pretty stable price range (unless its a crazy T2 or suddenly hot - or cold - T1). With most misprints the value, or lack of same, is in the eyes of the beholder. But because so many collectors aren't interested, it seems to be a boon for collectors who are. I know I have gladly traded most of the error cards I had to get other cards I was interested in. And I've never worried about getting a premium for them.