Alt 4th?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

bertrand

Alt 4th?

Post by bertrand » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:18 pm

I know summer magic is worth a hell of a lot, but is Alt 4th really worth anything? I picked up a Mana Vault yesterday.

How much more is Alt 4th worth compared to normal 4th?

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:56 pm

That is the $64 million question!

Despite rumors to the contrary, there are many more alt 4th cards than there are summer cards. We know that a production run was made of them by U. S. Playing Card Company, and given production run sizes of the time, there were probably at least 1,000 rare sheets (and proportionately more uncommon and common sheets) produced.

The uncertainty is how much of this production run was diverted into retail channels and how much was destroyed. Sellers of complete alt 4th sets have claimed that as few as 600 starter decks (60 starter boxes) survived, but my guess is that much, or even most of the production run was saved from destruction.

The highest prices I have seen for complete mint sets (offered, but not sold) was $1995. The lowest prices I have seen for individual cards has been between twice the regular 4th edition value (for bulk commons, many uncommons and a few rares) to about five times as much as regular 4th edition cards (for desirable rares, uncommons and commons in near mint condition). I have seen the BOP go for $80.

My guess is that the market would support between $600 and $800 for a complete mint set.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:53 am

All I know is that there is a TON of Alt-4th around, and most of the Alt-4th in existance is still buried in people's common bins. I value it a little higher than regular 4th, but not much. Summer is rare, but alt-4th's print run is probably hundreds, if not thousands or even tens of thousands, of times bigger than Summer.

secretgiant
Librarities Hero

Post by secretgiant » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:16 am

At those big tournaments, dealers say that they don't want to buy, since they can't get anything for the cards, but then later when they forgot your face, they say $15us for a Lightning Bolt!

Dealers hate alt 4th because they can't buy it, they can't sell it for too cheap, and no one wants to pay very much for them.
My username was lordsilver, but it displayed as secretgiant. I am the same user.
My gallery without updates: http://photobucket.com/albums/b260/secr ... ?start=all

bertrand

Post by bertrand » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:10 pm

So it's like 6-7$?

Not bad.

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

Boxes of Alt-4E

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:37 am

Troll and Toad has boxes of Alternate 4th for sale. Last tme I checked they were selling individual starters and also had boxes of the same. It's pricey, but if you are looking to broaden your collection and add something of interest, you might want to get some.
-- Plastered_Dragon -- A.K.A. Chuck Seggelin
* The Stone Rain Project v2.0 * My Blog *

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

This is funny...

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:35 am

Just for the heck of it, I decided to take a black light to my 4th edition collection and see if there was any alternate 4E in there. There was:

Will-O'-The-Wisp
How From Beyond
Wall of Bone
Clay Statue
Throne of Bone
Ashnod's Battle Gear
Psychic Venom
Pradesh Gypsies
Elvish Archers
Cave People
Gray Ogre
and, here's the kicker: Stone Rain

The alternate 4E stone ran in the Stone Rain Project was received from CoolStuffInc... and I had one in my 4E box all the time!!!

GraueEminenz
Librarities Legend

Post by GraueEminenz » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:39 am

I still have got 2 sealed boxes, maybe one for sale ;-)
If you need singles, please LMK
Jan

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:47 pm

GraueEminenz wrote:I still have got 2 sealed boxes, maybe one for sale ;-)
If you need singles, please LMK
Jan
I'd definitely be interested in an Alt 4th Bird of Paradise or Howling Mine. How much would those run me?

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:23 pm

just on an alt 4th lightning bolt for 0,01...

prizes are dropping like anal probes from mars..........
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted