TIN made life COUNTER - about 10+ years old

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

kilhor

TIN made life COUNTER - about 10+ years old

Post by kilhor » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:13 pm

Hi!

I know one of my friends that has a 3D model as a life counter. It is about 4cm tall wizard standing on a circular pad. I think it was a promotional item distributed with one of the early Duelist magazines.

Does anyone can confirm this?

Also, does anyone has a photograph of this item or maybe some aditional information?

I spend more that one day with Google but haven't found anything.

Finally, can anyone guess the value of this item?

Many thanks,
Ondrej

PS: I will keep you informed if I find something more.

phiswiz
Legendary Camel Rider

Post by phiswiz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:19 pm

The life counter you are speaking of is made by reaper miniatures. I had a wizard casting a firball. I bought it from a card show, but I don't know remember how they were originally distributed.

kilhor

Post by kilhor » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:30 pm

Thanks!

I hope we are talking about the same thing. I am not sure if I get it right: Do you say that you bought it from "reaper miniatures" shop (maybe as a collectible that someone else sold) OR you say that "reaper miniatures" is a producer of the counter. Can you clarify this?

Is there anything written on the couter e.g. some copyright at the bottom of the pad?

Many thanks again!
Ondrej

phiswiz
Legendary Camel Rider

Post by phiswiz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:53 pm

Is your life counter made of tin? The one I had was made of pewter. If is made of tin then I am not sure where it came from.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:01 pm

I am a collector of these old counters. Reaper made a large number of variations to their basic counter. Most had one of two designs.

For magic, they had a single bottom disk that had 1 -20 on one side and 21 - 40 on the other. Whatever character was placed on top had a pointer that could be rotated to indicate the appropriate life value.

For other CCGs, their was a bottom disk that had higher ranges (0 - 190 by 10s) and an upper disk that had -9 to +9 by 1s. The character pointer sat on top of the second disk.

The disks came in a variety of colors. You could get both disk and character in matching pewter (base metal), copper, silver and gold. They were also offered in all the enamal colors like the abacus styled counters (red, green, blue, black and white). Eventually they added funky colors appropriate to other CCGs (I have one in purple).

The characters on top were equally varied. The apparant original was a wizard using both outstretched arms to summon a beastly warrior (complete with sword). Other variations that I have included a wizard with a torch, a wizard holding a spell book in one hand and casting a fireball with the other, A black knight-type character, a female warrior, and an arm holding a crystal orb (sort of looks like an icy manipulator). I'm sure there are more, but haven't been able to find any information on the entire range of offerings.

Apparantly, many collectors bought the base metal counters and painted them, the way collectors now customize warhammer and similar figures. So every now and then you'll see one customized (some for the better, some for the worse).

These counters typically go for between $10 and $20, although the gold plated one (I don't know if it is real gold) often commands $30 or more. I'm certainly interested in any of these that people have. I also have some duplicates for anyone interested.
Last edited by hammr7 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kilhor

Post by kilhor » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:52 am

Thanks for the extensive explanation! This clarifies all my doubts.

As you say "I also have some duplicates for anyone interested." ... I am HIGHLY interested. In particular, I would like to have the wizard with sword and/or the wizard with book casting the fireball.

Could you contact me at rohlik@control.ee.ethz.ch, please ?

Cheers,
Ondrej