Collecting a CE Artist Proof Set ?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

GrosBlob

Collecting a CE Artist Proof Set ?

Post by GrosBlob » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:51 pm

Hi all,

I'm a Swiss casual player and sometimes collector too. I don't often post on these boards, but I often read you ;).

I'm thinking about collecting a CE Artist Proof Set. Here are my questions about this Item's Value and Availability: Is it possible to get ? Is it easy (by easy, I mean if I have the money, if I can contact the artist, then I'll get the cards), is it hard to get ? If it's hard, which cards will be hard to get ?

Thanks ;).

Regards,
Xavier

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Collecting a CE Artist Proof Set ?

Post by dragsamou » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:33 pm

GrosBlob wrote:Hi all,

I'm a Swiss casual player and sometimes collector too. I don't often post on these boards, but I often read you ;).

I'm thinking about collecting a CE Artist Proof Set. Here are my questions about this Item's Value and Availability: Is it possible to get ?
Hi Xavier.
To my knowledge,already 4 Collectors have a Complete Set.
Is it easy (by easy, I mean if I have the money, if I can contact the artist, then I'll get the cards), is it hard to get ?
Not so easy as some Artists doesn't have some A.P.anymore and this for years.
If it's hard, which cards will be hard to get ?
Thanks ;).
Regards,
Xavier
A lot of cards are hard to get,I know few members that wait over 4/5 years to get some missing cards.Few examples:
Black Lotus.
Stasis.
Timetwister.
Illusionary Mask.
Plateau.
Etc....
If you need anymore help,just PM me :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:53 pm

They are Beta artist proofs, not CE ;)
Several artists told me that the AP's were for Beta.
Still, some cards can be very hard to come by.
I can get my hands on a stasis, but it will cost........
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:19 pm

Salut Xavier,

Really hard to finish but not impossible. There are 25 artists and 302 cards :
- Tom Wanerstrand (3 cards) : No longer has any APs (but he his a nice guy) -> Good luck to find them
- Sandra Everingham (12 cards) : Did not answer my e-mails, APs to be found from time to time on eBay
- Ron Spencer (1 card) : Sells the Terror AP for $100, full stop.
- Rob Alexander (7 cards) : Rob is a thief. He never sent me any of the APs I had ordered and kept my money. Did not even answered my e-mails. Had to find the APs through other means.
- Richard Thomas (13 cards) : Does not answer e-mails -> Good luck to find the APs ...
- Quinton Hoover (8 cards) : Does not seem to have any proofs left. Difficult to find
- Melissa Benson (7 cards) : Just e-mail her : $50 per AP
- Mark Tedin (16 cards) : Seems to have discovered he has APs only 10 months ago. Since then, he sells them for reltively cheap anywhere he goes. The issue is that he never answered my e-mails. Relatively hard to find, but he still has some.
- Mark Poole (16 cards) : I purchased one of his 2 last AP sets. Then he vanished from the Internet. All of them currently for sale on eBay via GamingJim I think
- Kev Brockschmidt (4 cards) : Gave his APs for free in 1994 when he got them. He has none left since this date -> Good luck
- Julie Baroh (4 cards) : I think I have a spare set if you want
- Jesper Myrfors (26 cards) : Does not answer e-mails and is known to be a bit mad about MtG after being fired back in the 90's ... Very difficult to get.
- Jeff Menges (15 cards) : Very nice fellow and he still has some APs. Just contact him and purchase
- Fay Jones (1 card) : The Stasis is one of the toughest AP to get. I know no e-mail for Fay.
- Drew Tucker (3 cards) : No longer has APs. Plateau difficult to get.
- Douglas Shuler (29 cards) : Still has APs, just e-mail him. Beware, the Serra Angel is a bit expensive (worth more than the 28 other cards)
- Daniel Gelon (9 cards) : Still has some APs. I managed to purchase some of them but he suddenly no longer answered e-mails. Very nice guy
- Dan Frazier (39 cards) : One of the nicest guy around. I think he no longer has any Beta APs. APs on eBay from time to time
- Dameon Willich (15 cards) : APs can be purchased through Jay_Zeman on eBay
- Cornelius Brudi (2 cards) : I don't even know how I went owning his APs ... No sign of him on the web. I must have purchased them from a collector or on eBay
- Christopher Rush (12 cards) : Another thief ... Him or his wife (they are separated) still have a few APs but no Black Lotus
- Brian Snöddy (3 cards) : Does not answer e-mails, cards difficult to find
- Anson Maddocks (30 cards) : Unable to find him. Cardhaus has most of his APs, the other ones I have never found.
- Andi Rusu (2 cards) : Must still have some APs. He sells them through a friend of his who you can find on eBay
- Amy Weber (16 cards) : She is very nice but has a very limited number of Aps left, contact her quickly.

Well, hope this helps,
Regards,
Eric.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:39 pm

Wow Eric, that was quite some detailed listing you had there. Very interesting to read and see.
One item of note, perhaps to add - many of the APs coming from Amy Weber now all seem to have little colored sketches on the back of them - so that can be an added bonus/negative in pursuing those APs.

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:46 pm

Eric, can you pm me contact info for the artists you know about/have dealt with in the past? I am about to begin a HUGE project, and i need artist contact info...

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:24 am

Eric: =D> This post will find its place in the archive.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:25 am

Rob Alexander sent me my APs after 3 months of badgering by email and phone.

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:14 am

silver.paladin wrote:Wow Eric, that was quite some detailed listing you had there. Very interesting to read and see.
One item of note, perhaps to add - many of the APs coming from Amy Weber now all seem to have little colored sketches on the back of them - so that can be an added bonus/negative in pursuing those APs.
Ty, ty ...

One detail regarding Amy Weber sketches, she now refuses to attempt at making a color sktech on the back of her Beta/CE APs. The surface of the back of these APs is rather different (more "glossy" or "shiny") than for the other APs and the ink bleeds.
But she can do nice B&W sketches :)
Mr.C wrote:Eric, can you pm me contact info for the artists you know about/have dealt with in the past? I am about to begin a HUGE project, and i need artist contact info...
Well, most Artists contact info is on the WotC boards : http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... b&t=240651

Some of the artists from the Beta set are not in this list though. I have spent dozens of hours browsing the web to find them. However, none of the artists I have contacted after having found their e-mail on the web did actually answer me, except Mark Poole (but his e-mail address did not work a couple of weeks after we finished the transaction).

As they did not bother answering me, I guess they just not like to be bothered by unknown individuals.
However, here are a few info on specific artists not in the Wizards list, which will help you locate them :

- Sandra Everingham : Since her MtG period, it seems she got married to Mr Garavito, as she is now Sandra Garavito (<- THIS WAS TRICKY AND COSTED ME A LOT OF TIME TO FIND OUT!!). Last time I checked, she was Art Director at WizKids. WizKids front office kindly answered me that Sandra was no longer in the MtG business ...

- Richard Thomas : Co-Founder of White Wolf Publishing

- Jesper Myrfors : Wow, this guy has been the most difficult to find. I have found an e-mail address around 12 months ago. I'm 99% sure it was his and that it was up-to-date, but he did not reply.
One hint : he likes the art from this girl : www.decayingmadness.com (I like it too)

- Fay Jones : Still seems to live in Seattle and to paint (she was a rather famous painter before MtG, in her own style and she seems to have fans. I have never had any contact info for her. Jay_Zeman on eBay has her contact info (he will not provide).

- Daniel Gelon : He is indeed Heather Hudson's husband!

- Dameon Willich : He owns and runs a medieval jousting and combat troupe !!! I e-Mailed him and he relayed my request to Jay_Zeman

- Brian Snöddy : Co-Founder of Privateer Press

Valter, I have unfortunately not tried to contact many artists beyond those from the early days. I guess the Wozards Boards will be a very good source of info to start with ...
... and I do not desperate from creating one day the "Dealing with Artists" post I talked about months ago :oops:

Best regards,
Eric.

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:29 pm

Erl00 wrote:
- Rob Alexander (7 cards) : Rob is a thief. He never sent me any of the APs I had ordered and kept my money. Did not even answered my e-mails. Had to find the APs through other means.
- Christopher Rush (12 cards) : Another thief ... Him or his wife (they are separated) still have a few APs but no Black Lotus
thanks for the detailed info erloo; its all very interesting. its too bad some of the classic artists are such scumbags. i think weve already talked about this in an old thread, but i think these stories should be compiled to warn other rarity members of unreputable artists. i say dont give up until you get your cards or money back. if you publish these stories in magic communities and make them look bad to fans and wotc (possibly affect their pocketbook), they will have no choice but to reslove the situation. id love to hear more about your experiences contacting and dealing w/ artists.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:41 pm

Hi Members.
Regarding Quinton Hoover,he never sent me his Full Set of A.P.that I pay over 350$ on Ebay in November 2004.I already have purchased a bunch of stuff from him before without any problems.But,on this last one,I'm really mad at him as he just sent One E-mail,3 monthes ago,mentioning that he had a major computer crash(His favourite excuse)and was still working on my Proofs as I asked and pay for Sketches on the back.
In between,at least,I did get them in another way.To my knowledge,this is supposed to be the last Set that he owns :evil:
Regarding Rob Alexander,took me,7 Monthes to finally get my A.P.with Sketches.
Regarding C.Rush,did wait 8 Monthes before getting my 100 A.P. Collection,but at the end things turns good now,with his ex-wife,selling on Ebay C.Rush A.P.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:36 pm

Of the 2 artists in question (Alexander and Rush) do you think they are actually stealing, or that they are simply criminally lazy/sloppy/forgetful?

I mean, I know there is dirt out there regarding Rush, but I've never heard anything besides this specifically regarding Alexander.

Would be a shame, I hate to say it, but I always hoped he was a good guy because I like his artwork so much (hehe, I like my 'stars' to be good guys too..).

Gryfalia

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:51 pm

Gryfalia wrote:Of the 2 artists in question (Alexander and Rush) do you think they are actually stealing, or that they are simply criminally lazy/sloppy/forgetful?

I mean, I know there is dirt out there regarding Rush, but I've never heard anything besides this specifically regarding Alexander.

Would be a shame, I hate to say it, but I always hoped he was a good guy because I like his artwork so much (hehe, I like my 'stars' to be good guys too..).

Gryfalia
I still have hopes for Christopher Rush. I received an e-mail in March (for cards paid to his wife in July 04) saying that he had my cards and was about to ship them ... No news since but I still hope ...

However, Rob Alexander is a **** (<- Insert there any nasty insult). I paid $140 for cards in March 04 and sent e-mails all along the 2004 year. As soon as I had paid he ignored my e-mails.
While he was ignoring all my e-mails asking about my cards, he was completing transactions and shipping cards to other people ...
I see no other explanations than pure Rob-bery, if I can attempt a pityful pun.

He'd better not try to attend any show in Paris or I'll pick him up with the cops.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:01 pm

Gryfalia wrote:Of the 2 artists in question (Alexander and Rush) do you think they are actually stealing, or that they are simply criminally lazy/sloppy/forgetful?

Gryfalia
Hi Ken.
Regarding Rob Alexander,I have made 3 deals with him and he always took forever,as I always ask for Sketches on back of the cards from him.
I believe that at one point,he oversold some of the Beta/C.E. A.P.,and he has also an incredibly busy schedule.I believe Rob is more in the "criminally lazy/sloppy/forgetful" Type.On the other hand,I canno't complain about the 10 Beautiful Sketches that he has done for me :D
Regarding C.Rush,I never deal with him but with his ex-wife,even that he was aware about the problem through his agent,he never send me an E-mail to apologize or answered my E-mails :(
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:47 am

For what it's worth, if you are already going to Gen Con, Mark Poole will be one of the featured artists. He has been there before and is a very friendly guy. He did a sketch of Counterspell on a lunch box for a friend of mine. Awesome!

http://www.gencon.com/displayindy.aspx? ... y-art-show

There is also a good chance that Brian Snoody will be there as Privateer Press is one of the exhibitors. There's even a chance that Susan Everingham will be there as Wiz Kids is also an exhibitor.

http://www.gencon.com/displayindy.aspx? ... hibit-hall