Magic Statues

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

cardguy
Librarities Hero

Magic Statues

Post by cardguy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:30 pm

Magic statues are now available in the UK (see them at www.first4figures.com ) are they available anywhere else?? - what do people think of them and will the limit of 5000 per issue improve their long term value??
London's Premier CCG Dealer

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:25 pm

The past has shown that many 3rd party products that attempt to tap into the core gaming system often do not do well. An example from another game is the Mage Knight trading cards that tried to latch onto a game performing decent in sales at the time. Resin figures are collected by a special collector group. Although I am fans of many shows and characters in sci-fi, I don't run out and buy every resin cast fig, in fact, I don't even buy any. Which brings up a good point here. How many members here would actually buy these? It is not like they are of really super cool characters like Serra Angel, Shivan Dragon, etc. You have Eight and a Half Tails, Meluko, Ink-Eyes, Kiki Jiki, and Kodama of the North Tree. I doubt sales will do overly well. Limiting the production run to 5000 is a nice attempt to try and boost what surely will be a failed product line.
Last edited by mintcollector on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:20 pm

I personally do not see these statues selling very well. First off, I do not even believe that the Kamigawa block has sold very well (there are very few special lots of Kamigawa cards as opposed to other blocks, and even just after this block came out, about all you could find on Ebay are the normal x4 cards, singles, and sets of commons and uncommons, not to mention people's leftover cards they were trying to sell - very little special lot sales). Also (unless I was looking wrong), the advertising they are doing on these statues is still just based on artwork. If they were supposed to start coming out at the start of 2005, the least they could do is supply actual pictures of these statues, so that a buyer could see what it is that he/she is buying.
One item of good note I find, is that I finally know for certain what the artwork on one of my E3 mousepads is. Since I paid minimal attention to BoK and CoK, and still awaiting to hear back on SoK, I had not seen virtually any of these Kamigawa mousepad artwork before.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:13 pm

As far as cards go, I don't think the current block is doing all that badly. Based upon set prices on eBay I would expect it is doing about as well as the previous block. Since I'm not playing the current block I can't comment on how favorable the sets are to type 2 players.

As for the statues, this product, if launched, is doomed to failure. New introductions of expensive statues only have a chance of success if the characters are well known and highly regarded. This is why Serra Angel statues have done well in the past. But offering to effectively flood the market with relative "unknowns" will make it so no one wants them. If these characters turn out to be favorably remembered in a year or two the product line would have a chance.

If they were to offer limited edition volumes of 500 or even 1,000 they might create a little more buzz for the products. But I doubt their business model would allow them to make any money from the smaller quantities.

I collect prototypes, so if the product never gets to market I'll be interested in whatever they produce. However, I doubt that they want me as a customer. :lol:

RMayor
Librarities Legend

Magic Figures

Post by RMayor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:23 pm

If someone knows of a website in english that sells these please let me know.

I personally want at least one.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Re: Magic Figures

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:11 pm

RMayor wrote:If someone knows of a website in english that sells these please let me know.

I personally want at least one.

Ummm, the website referred to above is in English, and is supposedly in the UK - generally considered the home of where today's English began! :P

house_atreides
Librarities Legend

Post by house_atreides » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:50 pm

Hi.

we're selling them (theyre £20 each), but you probably want a dealer in the USA.

Altho they arent heavy, they are very large items, and postage will be a bit.

Cheers,
Karen
House Atreides
http://www.ccgs.co.uk

cardguy
Librarities Hero

statues

Post by cardguy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:51 pm

these are not supposed to be 'expensive' as far as i can see - i would expect the RRP to be around 20-25 UK pounds per statue although i haven't seen an official price quoted anywhere - some of them, expecially the 8 and 1/2 tails are very nice indeed and these are quite large - but i know that the MTG market has been flooded with related collectibles e.g. tokens, mats, t-shirts etc so think they will have a limited appeal
London's Premier CCG Dealer

RMayor
Librarities Legend

Re: Magic Figures

Post by RMayor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:40 pm

Ummm, the website referred to above is in English, and is supposedly in the UK - generally considered the home of where today's English began! :P[/quote]

Thanks but First4Figures does not sell them.
The only web site I found selling them was in German I think.

Thanks to House Atreides for the info.

I will send a e-mail for more info.

Crystal_Lotus

Post by Crystal_Lotus » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:19 pm

the company importing them into the U.S. set the SRP very high ($63.99) and is only offering them to wholesale accounts as whole sets. ($320/set)

We decided not to carry them at all. I have seen the Eight and a half tails, and they are nice, but really only average at best as far as quality goes. At least compared to other bust/statue companies.