How big of a threat are fakes & counterfeits?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: How big of a threat?

Post by dragsamou » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:26 pm

That's right, but there's worse. Think about poor guys, like me who purchased some nice Minagishi token (genuine) when they were worth $25 each and they are now at $3 on MOTL Chinese Have list because fakes have flooded the market.

To my mind, harm is now done.

Regards,
Eric.
Hi Eric.
I know about it,you know my Minagishi Collection ;)
And we have some Serious Minagishi Collectors on
Magic Rarities.But at the end,I have no regrets to have bought those Tokens at that price,because I never mind paying the Price for the Real Thing,I prefer having One Real 5 Goblins/Goblin worth 100$ than 5 Fake ones for 20$.And I'm so happy,to have bought all these Extras at that time because Now,buying Minagishi when there are all these Fakes on The Market is not an easy task for
New Collectors :P
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:34 pm

FYI: For any that don't know, I maintain a websight on how to identify fake magic cards. http://www.apathyhouse.com/mtg/fake/index.php

I have examples of many different kinds of fakes that I've collected over the years, and I plan on doing a major update to this site soon. With better scans and new info.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:47 pm

FYI: For any that don't know, I maintain a websight on how to indentify fake magic cards. http://www.apathyhouse.com/mtg/fake/index.php

I have examples of many different kinds of fakes that I've collected over the years, and I plan on doing a major update to this site soon. With better scans and new info.
Hi.
I think you can start a New Section on your Website.Fake Minagishi Tokens  ;)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:08 pm

I0qii: I think your site is very useful. I will add a link to it.
By the way, I think dragsamou is correct. Fake Crazy Clowns tokens should be documented somewhere, and they are off focus for my site.

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:15 pm

FYI: For any that don't know, I maintain a websight on how to indentify fake magic cards. http://www.apathyhouse.com/mtg/fake/index.php

I have never had the opportunity (and moreover I was too lazy ...) to congratulate you for your website. I've been going there several times and it's really useful and cool!

Congrats!
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:22 pm

Thanks everyone  :)

I can add a section on fake tokens, but I'd need good scans of both a fake one and real one in very high detail. Can someone provide this? ANd I'd also need to know whether real token pass all the same tests that regular magic cards do. I don't have any myself.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:42 pm

Went to the post office and picked up the 5 Goblin and 5 Zombie cards.  Here are my thoughts:

What's worse?  Paying for fake cards or paying for fake cards and getting one of them with a bend through the middle?   >:(

In comparing these with the images on this site, the colors are washed out and the print is much more fuzzy than a real Minagishi card.  Also, a real 5 Goblin card has a yellow shadow behind the words, "Five Goblins!!".  I'll have to wait until I get home, but I believe these cards are slightly thinner than a real card.  These cards will bend in the middle and do not pass a bend test.  I think these are just printed glossy paper and cut out.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy.  I'll contact the seller and post what I learn.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:27 am

Went to the post office and picked up the 5 Goblin and 5 Zombie cards.  Here are my thoughts:

What's worse?  Paying for fake cards or paying for fake cards and getting one of them with a bend through the middle?   >:(

In comparing these with the images on this site, the colors are washed out and the print is much more fuzzy than a real Minagishi card.  Also, a real 5 Goblin card has a yellow shadow behind the words, "Five Goblins!!".  I'll have to wait until I get home, but I believe these cards are slightly thinner than a real card.  These cards will bend in the middle and do not pass a bend test.  I think these are just printed glossy paper and cut out.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy.  I'll contact the seller and post what I learn.
I have emailed the seller myself already, and just waiting to see what he/she has to say first.  If I do not get a satisfactory answer, I will be posting negative feedback. I already received positive feedback once I made my payment, so I do not think I should be getting my Ebay ratings hurt if he/she gets upset with the feedback I will be giving.
Oct 30, away until further notice

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:42 am

Hrmm... when I started the post I completely forgot about non-magic cards still related to the game, like minigishi's. Makes sense I guess :-(

l0qii: Congratulations on your site as well! :-) I have visited it a few times before making this thread, hehe. It is very handy!

Also... (to l0qii and others) fake foil cards DO exist... or at least a method to do this. I remember a long time ago there being some speculation about whether or not they existed, and how hard it would be to do....

One again, I will not say how to do this, but I have been doing more research and found some places that mention fake foils and how to do it. Once you understand, it would cost someone perhaps $1.50 at most to replicate a nice foil card :-\

More and more bad news for magic players... sigh. I thought 8th Edition cards were bad enough ;-) (except the 8th foil city of brass... that is a beautiful card!)

Take Care (as always)
Dylan I.

PS: As for the fake Minigishi's bought by some on eBay... remember that there are not only eBay guidelines and such, but also laws against this replication and sales... a felony (fraud) I believe. Better find out if this seller is the source, or perhaps convince him to reveal his source.... selling fakes is a serious crime. And us "legit" collector's and players will kill them  ;D

EDIT
: More info folks (lol sorry for not posting this all at once, I just noticed this last bit).

Check out this eBayer's auction list...
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =3&rows=50

That just made me mad... you know for sure no one will use that for a "convincing proxy" or anything like that... they will sell it to a little kid, or try to cheat by playing with it. :-\ I mean the seller is only making a few bucks on them... why pollute the market? Sigh.

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:42 am

I've gotten my feedback as well.  I already sent the e-mail so we'll see how or if he responds.  

I just couldn't believe I got a bent, fake card.

:'(

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:39 am

I have heard back from the seller of this auction, and this is what he had to say:

"Hello, I buy from a japanese trader in bulk. But i sell to a germany guy,at first he also suspect is it fake. but when he received it he was very happy about it and bought another 4 more from me. he is also a token collector, and he told me that it is genuine, for i myself is not a expert with token so it am not sure, but i have bought from this trader a lot of JUN  MINAGISHI  token before. i have sold a lot of this token in ebay you can check my feedback.

herewih i attached his comment. if you don't believe i will need to get this guy approval before i forward his entire mail to you.

(your Token already arrived and it IS an original (great!!!) I want to buy the Tokens you are alredy offering on ebay, too but the Problem is that I am at work at the time the Auction ends(around 11am here in germany). You have some more (can I buy some Tokens (3 Goblin 3 Zombie for a price around you sold
them!?)"

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:54 am

I still haven't heard crap and I sent my email first.  Woe is the life of a bigfatkitty!

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:56 am

I still haven't heard crap and I sent my email first.  Woe is the life of a bigfatkitty!
lol  Are you sure you sent your email first?  I had already sent my email when you left a post stating that your cards were still at the post office waiting to be picked up   :D

Or, maybe the seller does not communicate with people that he sells bent cards to   ;D

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:14 am

Ok...I concede.  You had to have sent yours 1st.   :-[

These things really do look like crap when placed side by side with a real token.  And the card stock is much thinner.  

I'm going to Singapore to kick some butt!   >:( >:(

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:25 pm

and how exactly to identify fake minagishi?
Then i'm not talking bout the five goblins etc., but about the normal minagishi.

Does a real minagishi card passes the bend test?
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted