1998 World Championship Filler Card

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

iamca

1998 World Championship Filler Card

Post by iamca » Tue May 04, 2004 4:11 am

Hi, I baught a 1998 Brian selden Deck and I have this card, which is gold bordered and the center is blackish/grey except for a gold "M" (the M is inscribed in a gold circle and has a white aura around it) in the middle of it and I just wanted to know if it is common or not.  ;D

thanks.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Re: 1998 World Championship Filler Card

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue May 04, 2004 6:51 am

Welcome to the forum. I have problems to recognize the card you are talking about. Is it this one: http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities/wo ... d-edge.jpg Or this one: http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities/filler-m.jpg? Or (more likely) something else?

iamca

Post by iamca » Wed May 05, 2004 7:06 am

I posted the card on my website.
this is the card I'm talking about: http://geocities.com/true_emu/1998_World_Filler_M

sorry about the scan quality  ::)

the back of the card is just the normal 1998 World Championship card backs.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Wed May 05, 2004 7:07 am

wow, that's awesome.  Never heard of anything like that before.  Even if you made it (especially if you made it) I want it  :D
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Wed May 05, 2004 7:50 am

That looks as fake as anything I've ever seen. Looks like a print-out that's been half-assed pasted onto a standard gold-bordered Championship card. Look at the left side, you can see a thin, irregular white line where the print-out doesn't cover completely. Also, the central "M" symbol is not centered on the card - its to the right of center by 10-15%.

"iamca" is just some troll looking to get a rise out of us.
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Wed May 05, 2004 10:42 am

I still want it.  I will trade you 1 US stamp for it.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

iamca

Post by iamca » Wed May 05, 2004 1:16 pm

Haha, I wish I could get a strait answer...has anyone seen this before. I have been to several card shops and no-one has seen one before. I asure you all that this is a real card I received out of a 1998 World Championship brian selden Deck..ITS REAL!!!   ;D

Oh, and I don't know how I posted this on the trade section, but I wanted to post on Item value and Availability section. sorry  :)

seriously its real, my scanner just sucks.

thanks for all your replies.

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Wed May 05, 2004 3:23 pm

Can you get a better scan? i.e. 600 dpi with an image size of, say at least 600 wide?

Thanks,
Eric.
Please help me finish my Boosters collection

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed May 05, 2004 7:10 pm

As motorcitymagic said, this IS a fake, and a bad one at that.  You can see the bad job of using acetone to clear out the center of the card due to the jagged border.  The center looks like a poor computer generated image layed onto the card, that was printed onto the card very off center.  No larger scan is needed as this is a bad fake that can easily be seen at the current resolution.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed May 05, 2004 8:40 pm

As motorcitymagic said, this IS a fake, and a bad one at that.  You can see the bad job of using acetone to clear out the center of the card due to the jagged border.  The center looks like a poor computer generated image layed onto the card, that was printed onto the card very off center.  No larger scan is needed as this is a bad fake that can easily be seen at the current resolution.
Hi Mike  :)
I was waiting for your Expert answer  ;)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed May 05, 2004 8:58 pm

Hi Mike  :)
I was waiting for your Expert answer  ;)
For everyone's benefit, Alexis was not being sarcastic.  He has consulted me in the past on such things and I have been able to point out things to prove or disprove card legitimacy to him via scans.

This filler was easy to spot as a fake and required little to no effort.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Wed May 05, 2004 9:07 pm

I've got a question on this also though.  I thought the acetone trick only works on the foil cards, as it removes the foil frontage.  This card is not foil whatsover.  So, does acetone take off more than foil, or is it maybe worth taking another look at this?
Oct 30, away until further notice

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed May 05, 2004 9:21 pm

For everyone's benefit, Alexis was not being sarcastic.  He has consulted me in the past on such things and I have been able to point out things to prove or disprove card legitimacy to him via scans.

This filler was easy to spot as a fake and required little to no effort.
Hi Mike.
I wish you have a look at the Original Scan of the Foil Black Border Filler Card that's in the Filler Cards Section of Magic Rarities  ???
Members If you have any doubts about Legitimacy of a card,just consult Mike,he's "the Man" and he's way cheaper than PSA  ;) :)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed May 05, 2004 9:22 pm

I've got a question on this also though.  I thought the acetone trick only works on the foil cards, as it removes the foil frontage.  This card is not foil whatsover.  So, does acetone take off more than foil, or is it maybe worth taking another look at this?
The process used is as follows:

1) Tape of card edges as best as possible (keeping straight and even1)
2) Use acetone, or any other product to wash out the ink center of the taped-off card.  Dilution may be necessary as I have never done this myself.
Acetone is used mainly as a solvent and intermediate in chemical production. Major uses are in the production of methyl methacrylate, methacrylic acid and higher methacrylates, bisphenol A, methyl isobutyl ketone, drug and pharmaceutical applications, and as a solvent for coatings and for cellulose acetate. There are also food uses as an extraction solvent for fats and oils, and as a precipitation agent in sugar and starch purification.

Atmospheric emissions occur from consumer products including nail polish removers, particle board, carpet backing, some paint removers, and liquid/paste waxes or polishes. Certain detergents/ cleansers, adhesives, and automobile carburettor and choke cleaners also contain acetone.

Acetone is released into surface water in wastewater effluents from a wide range of manufacturing processes and industries, such as paper, plastic, pharmaceuticals, speciality cleaning and polishing products, paint and allied products, gum and wood chemicals, cyclic intermediates, industrial organic chemicals, gypsum products, paper board products, and energy-related industries, such as coal-gasification and oil shale processing.

Sources of acetone release into soil include disposal of agricultural and food waste, animal waste, atmospheric wet deposition, household septic tank effluents and chemical waste disposal sites.
As you can see from the above quote, acetone is used to remove paint, nail polish, etc.  It can be used to clear out whatever is not taped off on a card.

3) Dry and remove tape
4) Print bogus art in the middle of the card (or leave blank, ie. fake foil fillers).

NOTE:  Other alchohol-based products should yield identical results.

The base principal is the acetone lifts the ink from the card.  This works even through the foil layers.  Please note that the misnomer of the card having to be foil for this to work is wrong.  People were doing this to create fake foil fillers to make money from filler collectors!  

silver.paladin:  Acetone leaves the foil filler intact but removes the ink by leeching the ink from the card.  Tah Dah...fake cards (including fake foil fillers).

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Wed May 05, 2004 10:31 pm

silver.paladin:  Acetone leaves the foil filler intact but removes the ink by leeching the ink from the card.  Tah Dah...fake cards (including fake foil fillers).
Ahh, I understand better now.  I should have realized that myself before, as the foil was still on the cards on the fakes, not the ink.  Got it backwards in my head.  Oh well, I better remember next time.  I may have just lost $27 on a BIN on Ebay for such a card, but it was advertised as a Foil Test card, not filler, and was not thinking clear on it either.   :D  
All I saw was BIN, and TEST card, so I took it before anyone else could.  hehe  I emailed Alexis and Ralph as soon as I found and bought it, but now I am starting to realize I made a mistake.  Lack of sleep from watching hockey playoffs is taking my toll on me.  Oh well, I buy a few less drinks, and I get a card in exchange.  hehe  The foolishness of playoff times   ::)
Oct 30, away until further notice