1998 World Championship Filler Card

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Re: 1998 World Championship Filler Card

Post by mintcollector » Thu May 06, 2004 11:14 pm

I have been looking at this larger picture, and I am finding it hard to believe that it would be fake, not that it could be.  Because, if you look at the large scan, you can see the threads within the colors are interacting with the other colors - it is not a clear cut down the sides.  One in particular (and this is what me think that this is not a cut and paste fake), is on the right hand side where the gold meets the black, about 6 cm down from the top, there is a large thread that goes across the 2 colors. (this is the big picture, before it shrinks down, well at least in shrinks eventually in my browser  ;))  And on the bottom right, there is a mark of some kind moving towards the left and up and you can see it moving into the black, though faintly.

I could of course be completely wrong about all this, but this enhanced picture does not look like cut and paste, possibly washed out acetone style, that I cannot say, but not a cut and paste.
In no way was I implying that this was a cut and paste.  I am saying that the card was scanned, and then possibly touched up in something like Photoshop.  Or the problems were corrected and then another card was fabricated.  My point is that if anyone looks at the original pic, you can easily see flaws as posted previously.  What I did was to take a piece of paper.  Put one edge at the top border and put a mark when the M logo is met.  Then without moving your head (thus maintaining the same view point), take paper and move it to the bottom.  You will see that the logo is not center top to bottom.  Do the same for right to left and you will see the image off center.  The left border is easily seen as uneven without having to zoom in at all.

The newer, larger image no longer has these flaws.  The border was fixed.  The M logo is now centered.  This means one of three things.  Either the original image was touched up, but saved as magnified to a larger resolution.  Second a newer larger image was scanned, but then digitally edited (which is very simple to do).  Third iamca fixed the problems and produced a new printed card free of the defects of the original.  There are still problems with the new image, but as motorcitymagic said, we should stop helping this guy fix the flaws, so I will not publically point out more flaws that are apparent.

imaca made the big mistake of having the new image severely differ from the original.  These cannot be the same card and one of the 3 possibilites I mentioned was use, obviously calling him out and proving this to be a definite fake.  

It will be obvious that iamca might possibly try to change the original pic, but I thought ahead and saved off a copy of the flawed pic just in case.

I am actually a little surprised at the number of people here who believe this card to be real and not faked or altered.  

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Thu May 06, 2004 11:40 pm

And did anyone get to see the picture of the Underground River scan before they shut down the site?
Yes I did... and even though they are from the same scanner, the pattern of ink dots is RADICALLY different from your fake filler.

I'll offer this, send it to any one of the members here - myself, mintcollector, hammr7, etc - and let one of us look at it and verify. We are well known among the group and would not be able to "make off" with it. If one of us can confirm it's real, then you should be able to sell it for quite a lot, since its the only one in known existence.
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu May 06, 2004 11:43 pm

Funny this card reminds me a Huge Post in MOTL Trade&Values questions some monthes ago  ;)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

iamca

Post by iamca » Thu May 06, 2004 11:45 pm

I was hoping someone could tell me of the origin of this card, but your lack of nowledge about it will serve the same purpose. Thanks to all your replies, I have now sealed this card in a hard plastic case, becase it it obviously very rare.  ;D

If you don't believe me that is fine, but this card is indeed real and I did get it in a 1998 World Championship deck. And as for the discrepancy between the cards, I guess I shouldn't have shrunk and rotated it at all, but 6.41mb was just to big for me to handle. So you can call it a fake all you want because I know its real and I own one of the rarest cards in magic to date. And as for calling me a liar(and a troll), thats just hurtful  :P

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu May 06, 2004 11:53 pm

I have now sealed this card in a hard plastic case, becase it it obviously very rare.  ;D

and I own one of the rarest cards in magic to date.  :P
Hi.
That was the Best Part,you did get the same reaction as
your previous Post on MOTL  ;)
One's Treasure is the Garbage of the other  ;D
Put it on Ebay that I have a Good Time  ;)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

iamca

Post by iamca » Fri May 07, 2004 10:23 am

I have never posted on before on MOTL  :)

And I don't think I would trust to send this card anywhere. only a fool would send a card as obviously rare as this one seems to be off in the mail to someone he/she doesn't know.

Once again I would like to say that this card is "NOT A FAKE"

Thanks again for the compliments guys  ;D

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri May 07, 2004 5:53 pm

Iamca,

Where do you live?   I would think we can find someone reputable and knowledgable, and local to you, who would be glad to perform the authentication. They would do it for the opportunity to investigate something as uncommon as you claim.  The meeting can take place someplace safe and convenient to you.

If the card is real you should welcome the opportunity to prove it.  Frauds work by avoiding the truth.  If it is real you have something worthwhile and confirmed as such.  With that confirmation, there are many on this site that will be willing to offer high value for it.  Without that confirmation there is a taint associated with your claims.

I do not doubt that Wizards has released some rare prototypes and concept cards through the years.  However, anything that is presented as real must be carefully scrutinized.  Unfortunately, 99% of what is now offered as new and unique is fraudulent, which is one of the reasons why this site exists.   The expertise of our members, with regard to Magic items, is unrivaled.

Such a confirmation will not come from scans alone, as there are too many ways to doctor images.  Even the high-res scan doesn't allow me to check the ink patterns and card surface the way a microscope does.  And there are many other tests which can't be done except in person.  It is the combination of images and card stock, of comparisons with other cards, and compliance with these other tests, that determine legitimate offerings from Wizards.  It is easy to imitate any single aspect, but not the combination.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Fri May 07, 2004 6:55 pm

Maybe JToolman would be interested in taking a look at this card.  I am sure he would be able to afford whatever value the card is worth   :D   ;D
Oct 30, away until further notice

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Fri May 07, 2004 8:21 pm

i agree that this is fake.  for one, i find it hard to believe that a card such as this could exist that even our most informed members (gamingjim, etc) have even heard about.

further, resizing doesn't explain away all the differences between the orig. image, and the new one.  for one, the distortions that take place as a result of resizing are rather predictable, and for two, distortions only really take place using techniques such as "nearest neighboor" to resize.  nearest neighboor is typically only used for previewing images, because its the fastest interpolation algorithim.  bilinear and bicubic interpolation are what is traditionally used for resizes that are more than just previews.  these result in hardly any distortion.
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Fri May 07, 2004 9:28 pm

wow. i obviously own the rarest card ever! i can tell by your responses!

what a fruit.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Fri May 07, 2004 9:37 pm

I'll make my own, then it WONT be the rarest.  muahahaha

either that or sell it to me.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Sat May 08, 2004 12:01 am

actually, there's this card i didn't make that's rarer than your card, 'cause there's *zero* copies of my card in existance!  beat that!  bwa ha ha!
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

iamca

Post by iamca » Sat May 08, 2004 1:54 am

Here is the e-mail reply I got back from Wizards:
I have since then emailed another qustion to ask@wizards to see if they post it there aswell. :)

These are honestly just as you said, filler cards.  They were put into the decks to be used for whatever purposes the player could think of.  I think they were often used as proxy cards to represent some other card you would rather have in the deck, or maybe something as simple as having it be a token creature.  They were just extra cards printed on the sheet, and rather than just throw them out, we decided to include them so that the people that bought them could decide if they wanted to use them or not.

Please let us know if you need anymore help!

John
Wizards of the Coast - Customer Support
Game Support Phone: 1-800-324-6496
Monday through Friday, 7 AM - 6 PM PST
Corporate Phone: (425) 226-6500

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 12:03 PM
To: Wizards Customer Service
Subject: Product feedback - Magic: The Gathering Feedback

Product feedback - Magic: The Gathering Feedback

Hi, a while back I purchased a 1998 World Championship Brian Selden Deck
Box and inside I received a card, which I naturally thought was a filler
card. The Card has a Big Golden M in the middle and the back was just a
normal 1998 Championship backing. you can find a picture of this on my
webpage: http://geocities.com/true_emu/1998_World_Filler_M
I have been acused of making a forged/fake card and This is NOT true I
just realy want to know the story/origin of this card to tell everyone
that its truley a real card. Sorry, some times my site has reached its
transfer limit for the day, so please keep trying.
Thanks, I will be awaiting your feedback.
Sent to: custserv@wizards.com

inca911
Librarities Legend

Post by inca911 » Sat May 08, 2004 2:12 am

While I am glad you got a response from WotC, it is important to note that WotC employees often know very little about any Magic rarities and/or obscure items.

Although I haven't had time to look at scans, I will say that I've obtained some very interesting rarities by taking people's statements at face value and doing independent research to prove/disprove them.

Hopefully your card is real and a new rarity is born as a result. &nbsp;I'm always interested in acquiring new rarities....

Thrond
Librarities Legend

Post by Thrond » Sat May 08, 2004 2:27 am

I'm not sure, but I think this guy from Wizards is talking about this card, which is indeed "often used as proxy cards to represent some other card you would rather have in the deck, or (...) as a token creature"