1998 World Championship Filler Card

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Re: 1998 World Championship Filler Card

Post by mintcollector » Sat May 08, 2004 2:37 am

I'm not sure, but I think this guy from Wizards is talking about this card, which is indeed "often used as proxy cards to represent some other card you would rather have in the deck, or (...) as a token creature"
I agree with Thrond's assessment.  I have seen the filler Thrond pointed out and it seems like what John from Customer Service replied with.  This card could be used easily as a proxy.  As inca911 said, WOTC employees, especially Customer Service know very little about non-mainstream questions, hence this is why this community for rarities was born.  No good source, not even WOTC themselves existed.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Sat May 08, 2004 3:19 am

As inca911 said, WOTC employees, especially Customer Service know very little about non-mainstream questions, hence this is why this community for rarities was born.  No good source, not even WOTC themselves existed.
good point.  another example of WotC not being the fountain of knowledge some might like them to be was when, in a Ask Wizards (or whatever it was) article, they said that the foil lightning bolts were testprints accidently inserted into packs of destiny and legacy.

in any case, i'm kinda wondering why someone who made a fake card would be so hell bent on proving it wasn't fake so as to email WotC, directly.  the two possibilities i'm seeing are that it is, in fact, real, or that perhapes the whole email correspondance has been fabricated.  take your pick.
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Sat May 08, 2004 4:26 am

B
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

normalbrains
Librarities Member

Post by normalbrains » Sat May 08, 2004 5:38 am

the wotc response was obviously commenting on the card thrond presented.

...but i dont understand why the fruit would ask wotc about a card he made up. the whole thing is weird. i cant figure it out but im like 65/35 that its a fake and 100% that this guy is a fruit.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sat May 08, 2004 9:40 am

The reason why the guy might be so tenacious is that he might have actually gotten the card out of a "sealed" deck.  Of course, the card might still be a fraud.

I've had corrospondence with a few players in Western Canada who have gotten "unusual" boosters and starters, including some with multiple copies of commons, and others that didn't have any rares.  In my discussions with them,  I've discovered that their local dealer has recently purchased some sealing (packaging) equipment.  If he is also competent with artistic computer programs it could certainly explain what is going on.

Think of the eventual sales opportunity if a couple of "unusual" cards are discovered.  What better way to drive prices of almost worthless decks.  If the local clients aren't  able to uncover the ruse, then the dealer doesn't have to claim anything specific.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Sun May 09, 2004 1:26 am

Has the original small image been changed since this post went up? It looks to me like the image Ralph hosted is off-centered the same way as the small picture, and there are some very distinctive wear marks on the edges and the border at bottom right that almost definitely rule out the possibility of a second fake having been created. That doesn't necessarily rule out photoshop, but I don't know enough about that to say anything.

Still wondering where Iamca lives.

iamca

Post by iamca » Sun May 09, 2004 9:03 am

I live in North Vancouver B.C., Canada